AP 3A POLL

CHARGERFAN

3 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Cant go 2 yet. Lots of respect for what you've done so far this season, but until Covington loses or you beat them, they've earned the right to be at #2.

Covington's only 2 losses in their last 29 games have been to Alcoa in the state championship. And the last time  Covgtn. and PC met on the field Cov. beat you guys at home and had to come back to do it. They've earned that spot for the time being. Next week? Next Month? who knows. But until they lose....

Thanks for the good words. Covington lost a lot to graduation, including QB Brock Lomax, who had been our starter for 4 years. That's a lot to replace. We also lost Coach Marty Wheeler when he went to Cleveland, TN. Coach J. R. Kirby moved up to head coach and has us playing pretty well. 

I'm not sure where we stack up this year, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Our defense is playing at a championship level so far. We shut out 4A Crockett County in the Jamboree and also 5A Munford in game 1. Munford's only first down was by a penalty when we jumped offside. Game 2 opponent, Bauxite, AR scored 12 points, but we gave them a TD and a field goal by turnovers close to our own goal. Our offense scored 35 and 37 in games 1 and 2 so we are getting on the scoreboard. 

Who knows how we compare with Pearl Cohn or any other 3A team at this point. The polls just represent opinions of a few people. That's what I love about high school football. Everything is decided on the field via the playoffs. 

We are in a tough region (7-3A) with Milan, South Gibson, and McNairy County. In addition, Martin Westview has a young hotshot QB and is apparently lighting up the scoreboard this year. I believe that whoever comes out of this region will make some noise in the playoffs. I hope it is Covington, but there are 8 more games before that is decided.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Cant go 2 yet. Lots of respect for what you've done so far this season, but until Covington loses or you beat them, they've earned the right to be at #2.

Covington's only 2 losses in their last 29 games have been to Alcoa in the state championship. And the last time  Covgtn. and PC met on the field Cov. beat you guys at home and had to come back to do it. They've earned that spot for the time being. Next week? Next Month? who knows. But until they lose....

You living in past in your rankings! 3a top 10 isn't called, 3a top 10 of all time. 

16 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

You living in past in your rankings! 3a top 10 isn't called, 3a top 10 of all time. 

You've beaten two winless teams. jk. I've always given you guys much respect for how you schedule. No one can say PC is scared to play anyone. However, on the field you haven't accomplished what Covington has at this point. You guys may mercy rule them, but the last time you met on the field you lost.

Not living in the past, living in reality.  The reality is PC hasn't won anything on the field this millennium. Not this year, not this decade, not twenty years, but this entire Millennium.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Thanks for the good words. Covington lost a lot to graduation, including QB Brock Lomax, who had been our starter for 4 years. That's a lot to replace. We also lost Coach Marty Wheeler when he went to Cleveland, TN. Coach J. R. Kirby moved up to head coach and has us playing pretty well. 

I'm not sure where we stack up this year, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Our defense is playing at a championship level so far. We shut out 4A Crockett County in the Jamboree and also 5A Munford in game 1. Munford's only first down was by a penalty when we jumped offside. Game 2 opponent, Bauxite, AR scored 12 points, but we gave them a TD and a field goal by turnovers close to our own goal. Our offense scored 35 and 37 in games 1 and 2 so we are getting on the scoreboard. 

Who knows how we compare with Pearl Cohn or any other 3A team at this point. The polls just represent opinions of a few people. That's what I love about high school football. Everything is decided on the field via the playoffs. 

We are in a tough region (7-3A) with Milan, South Gibson, and McNairy County. In addition, Martin Westview has a young hotshot QB and is apparently lighting up the scoreboard this year. I believe that whoever comes out of this region will make some noise in the playoffs. I hope it is Covington, but there are 8 more games before that is decided.

Lots of good stuff in the post. I understand you lost a lot. You're QB  Lomax was a winner. You lost some other great players as well. But  until someone in 3A not named Alcoa beats you on the field, you've earned your spot.

Real results matter.

32 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

You've beaten two winless teams. jk. I've always given you guys much respect for how you schedule. No one can say PC is scared to play anyone. However, on the field you haven't accomplished what Covington has at this point. You guys may mercy rule them, but the last time you met on the field you lost.

Not living in the past, living in reality.  The reality is PC hasn't won anything on the field this millennium. Not this year, not this decade, not twenty years, but this entire Millennium.

I was about to say, because Blackman 0-2 along with Austin East and I'm not kidding! Dude we have two gold balls and silver ball also. So I would say Covington the one that hasn't accomplished what PC has. See you keep saying last 10 years, so Alcoa don't count their gold balls from past 10 years? Since 2014 PC been to 4 str8 semifinals and championship appearance in 2015. I know it's not Alcoa standards but name me another 3a school that's done that! Once again I'm talking bout this year 2019 3A top, you said it yourself PC could very much mercy rule them but you have them in front don't make any sense. Then voters has PC at 5th really!!!

2 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

I was about to say, because Blackman 0-2 along with Austin East and I'm not kidding! Dude we have two gold balls and silver ball also. So I would say Covington the one that hasn't accomplished what PC has. See you keep saying last 10 years, so Alcoa don't count their gold balls from past 10 years? Since 2014 PC been to 4 str8 semifinals and championship appearance in 2015. I know it's not Alcoa standards but name me another 3a school that's done that! Once again I'm talking bout this year 2019 3A top, you said it yourself PC could very much mercy rule them but you have them in front don't make any sense. Then voters has PC at 5th really!!!

Since we are keeping score with gold and silver balls Milan would be in second place in 3A with 4 gold and 5 silver balls. Just sayin’......

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Since we are keeping score with gold and silver balls Milan would be in second place in 3A with 4 gold and 5 silver balls. Just sayin’......

Milan bumped us down then...lol But my point is he keep saying PC hasn't done anything on the field this decade, and I proved thats false information. I know he's for Alcoa and they win pretty much every year, but PC has done great things too.

Edited by FIREBIRD80

23 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Facts are Covington has accomplished more on the field since they met PC on the field than PC has accomplished.

2017 all my Nashville friends kept hyping PC like they were the '78 Steelers. I told them they would see reality in December. I was wrong . Before December that overhyped PC team lost on their own field despite having a multi TD lead and didn't even make it to the title game!

9 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Facts are Covington has accomplished more on the field since they met PC on the field than PC has accomplished.

2017 all my Nashville friends kept hyping PC like they were the '78 Steelers. I told them they would see reality in December. I was wrong . Before December that overhyped PC team lost on their own field despite having a multi TD lead and didn't even make it to the title game!

You are delusional! No knock on Covington at all but PC total collapse in 2nd half, and i still can't explain it. But Covington wasn't the better that year and that's for sure! But that has nothing to do with this years top 10!!!

Edited by FIREBIRD80

9 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

In 2016 and 2017 Pearl-Cohn lost games in the state semifinals that they had absolutely no business losing.  They had two golden opportunities to win state championships those two years.  In 2018 Pearl-Cohn saw a team that they beat by 50 points during the regular season come in and build a three score lead in the second half.  By the time they realized that they were in danger it was too late and they ran out of time and thus sparked Stratford's playoff run.  It was very similar to 2013 when they were primed for a championship run but lost to a very well coached Giles County team at home in the second round.  If you really want to go back in time we can go back to 1998 when Pearl-Cohn was the unanimous favorite to three-peat as the 4A state champions.  That year they were upset in the quarterfinals by Whites Creek (who started a freshman QB).  

That's another topic and another discussion honestly.  I think in 2006 and 2007 Pearl-Cohn went to the semifinals both years and lost to Fulton teams that were just better.  I think in 2014 Pearl-Cohn reaching the semifinals was a great run but I do think Trezevant was better that particular season.  I think Pearl-Cohn reaching the title game in 2015 was great also but they ran into a Knoxville Catholic team that was absolutely loaded.  Those particular seasons were not "failures" in my opinion.