AP 3A POLL

CHARGERFAN

8 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

You are delusional! No knock on Covington at all but PC total collapse in 2nd half, and i still can't explain it. But Covington wasn't the better that year and that's for sure! But that has nothing to do with this years top 10!!!

How am I delusional? PC keeps talking every year and can't even make to the title game.   Remember when PC fans were saying Alcoa was scared to play them, Well the Tornadoes showed up for the 15th game but the Firebirds were no where to be found.

Polls don't matter anyway. Results matter.

5 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

In 2016 and 2017 Pearl-Cohn lost games in the state semifinals that they had absolutely no business losing.  They had two golden opportunities to win state championships those two years.  In 2018 Pearl-Cohn saw a team that they beat by 50 points during the regular season come in and build a three score lead in the second half.  By the time they realized that they were in danger it was too late and they ran out of time and thus sparked Stratford's playoff run.  It was very similar to 2013 when they were primed for a championship run but lost to a very well coached Giles County team at home in the second round.  If you really want to go back in time we can go back to 1998 when Pearl-Cohn was the unanimous favorite to three-peat as the 4A state champions.  That year they were upset in the quarterfinals by Whites Creek (who started a freshman QB).  

That's another topic and another discussion honestly.  I think in 2006 and 2007 Pearl-Cohn went to the semifinals both years and lost to Fulton teams that were just better.  I think in 2014 Pearl-Cohn reaching the semifinals was a great run but I do think Trezevant was better that particular season.  I think Pearl-Cohn reaching the title game in 2015 was great also but they ran into a Knoxville Catholic team that was absolutely loaded.  Those particular seasons were not "failures" in my opinion.  

Those seasons were not failures.  to be honest, I giving FB80 a little bit of a hard time because of all the talk about PC vs Alcoa in2017. Plus that shady Co-op deal with another school( another can of worms. LOL)

But everything you've listed just proves that objective results matter. You listed all of these great, talented teams that have one thing in common, they never brought home a Gold ball trophy.

So were they really that good?  PC may be the 2nd best team in 3A, we'll find out in December.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

How am I delusional? PC keeps talking every year and can't even make to the title game.   Remember when PC fans were saying Alcoa was scared to play them, Well the Tornadoes showed up for the 15th game but the Firebirds were no where to be found.

Hammer this is kinda off subject but why is it Alcoa blows them teams out in the East "Besides Maryville" but play tight games with middle and west tn teams?

1 minute ago, FBfan26 said:

Hammer this is kinda off subject but why is it Alcoa blows them teams out in the East "Besides Maryville" but play tight games with middle and west tn teams?

In the last 4 state title games against the best from middle/west TN, scores have been Alcoa 20-0, Alcoa 45-12, Alcoa 31-10, Alcoa 21-14.

So Alcoa has outscore the best in the west/Middle 117-36. Not really what I would call tight especially considering 2s and 3s played a lot of the 2nd half in 3 of those games

46 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

You are wrong again, fb26 and myself never get on here talking bout how good or great PC is. We only respond to other posters like yourself who keep talking nonsense ABOUT PC! I remember 2017 like it was yesterday, that was Alcoa talking bout MLK situation. That's why people was like dern PC has Alcoa shook. But you are right y'all made it and we didn't. We agree on one thing polls don't matter, but respect does and it's no way PC is 5th best team in 3A at moment!!!

I don’t understand why people would get excited or mad about where their team was ranked in a poll, especially only two games into the season. I really don’t care where Covington is placed by the voters.

The real powerhouse teams will get a chance to show their strength in the playoffs. Covington may or may not be one of those, but talking won’t decide that. Play on the field is what counts.

15 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I don’t understand why people would get excited or mad about where their team was ranked in a poll, especially only two games into the season. I really don’t care where Covington is placed by the voters.

The real powerhouse teams will get a chance to show their strength in the playoffs. Covington may or may not be one of those, but talking won’t decide that. Play on the field is what counts.

Yes sir!

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I hear you! For me respect is everything and lack of respect is not tolerated. But you are right polls mean nothing, but it also has to make sense also. This top ten does not!!!

Edited by FIREBIRD80

From my perspective (which means nothing) Covington is a clear cut #2 in 3a until they get beat by someone in region 5, 6, 7, or 8 and it's not even a discussion. I don't think they get enough credit for the run they're on. It's not quite Alcoa'esque but its alot better than anyone else in 3a has put together the last 3 years. The only way to leap frog them would be to beat them head to head or for them to start losing games. 

All PC has to do is keep winning and they'll have the opportunity to rearrange the pecking order. 

Besides that, we see how crazy these early season polls are every year in each class. The folks that have replied to this thread are probably much more qualified to rank teams than the AP folks.  I remember a couple years ago 4a Greenbrier was 6-0, highly ranked, and had a #1 vote. The following friday we beat them 49-0 at their homecoming and weren't even in the AP 3a top 10. 

Edited by Swarm
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swarm said:

From my perspective (which means nothing) Covington is a clear cut #2 in 3a until they get beat by someone in region 5, 6, 7, or 8 and it's not even a discussion. I don't think they get enough credit for the run they're on. It's not quite Alcoa'esque but its alot better than anyone else in 3a has put together the last 3 years. The only way to leap frog them would be to beat them head to head or for them to start losing games. 

All PC has to do is keep winning and they'll have the opportunity to rearrange the pecking order. 

Besides that, we see how crazy these early season polls are every year in each class. The folks that have replied to this thread are probably much more qualified to rank teams than the AP folks.  I remember a couple years ago 4a Greenbrier was 6-0, highly ranked, and had a #1 vote. The following friday we beat them 49-0 at their homecoming and weren't even in the AP 3a top 10. 

Great post!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Swarm said:

So you are saying rankings roll over from previous years?