Mitchell vs MAHS (at Melrose)

kwc

4 hours ago, kwc said:

I have no doubt. The problems arise when they play against Region 7 teams. That's the nut they need to crack.

Region 7 has been the toughest nut in the state to crack for a while! They still have Peabody, but from there down they aren't as tough as usual. Union City and Adamsville have been in pre season discussion for a title aspirations for the past decade (both in down seasons), TCA has had two or three outstanding seasons (gone to DII), and the rest are traditionally strong teams who haven't stepped up into the spots available from UC and the 'Ville being down.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Region 7 has been the toughest nut in the state to crack for a while! They still have Peabody, but from there down they aren't as tough as usual. Union City and Adamsville have been in pre season discussion for a title aspirations for the past decade (both in down seasons), TCA has had two or three outstanding seasons (gone to DII), and the rest are traditionally strong teams who haven't stepped up into the spots available from UC and the 'Ville being down.

Region 8 hasn't been able to compete in the past. However, coach Robinson over at Fairley has made it their mission to compete with Region 7. I think they will do fine this year in post season, barring any major injuries. I think they make it at least to the quarter-finals, if not further. I think when that happens, then Mitchell and MAHS follow the old saying ... a rising tide lifts all vessels. Seeing their fellow region 8 team do well, they raise their level to compete. Both Mitchell and MAHS have the numbers and the talent to do so. It wasn't so long ago that Teli White had Trezvant consistently competing at the highest level in 2A. It can be done at Fairley, Mitchell, and MAHS. Just depends upon the coaches 

Edited by kwc

39 minutes ago, kwc said:

Region 8 hasn't been able to compete in the past. However, coach Robinson over at Fairley has made it their mission to compete with Region 7. I think they will do fine this year in post season, barring any major injuries. I think they make it at least to the quarter-finals, if not further. I think when that happens, then Mitchell and MAHS follow the old saying ... a rising tide lifts all vessels. Seeing their fellow region 8 team do well, they raise their level to compete. Both Mitchell and MAHS have the numbers and the talent to do so. It wasn't so long ago that Teli White had Trezvant consistently competing at the highest level in 2A. It can be done at Fairley, Mitchell, and MAHS. Just depends upon the coaches 

Teli didn’t do it the right way that’s for sure. 

29 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

No he didn't. But I'm not holding what he did against him. He changed some grades of some seniors to get them into college, not to be eligible to play at Trezvant. But, nevertheless, it was against the rules, and he was punished. But, the teams he fielded were competitive and he proved it could be done, consistently. That was my point about Teli. The 2A teams that come out of Memphis CAN compete. It's been done before. All Fairley has to do is to keep winning, the studs will come.

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Around here we use the phrase Iron sharpens iron, but either will suffice and both are true.

10 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Around here we use the phrase Iron sharpens iron, but either will suffice and both are true.

Exactly. You adapt and improve or you get left behind. 6A in Memphis can be seen as an example. It use to be Whithaven and a couple other teams. It's not like that now. Several other programs have raised the bar of expectancy and now they compete. It's no cakewalk in 6A in Memphis. You better bring your hardhat and lunchpail. 

Edited by kwc

41 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

However, I have to admit that I miss those Teli White Trezvant teams. That's who we scrimmaged against in the spring. I must say. You had better make sure you had your mouthpiece in your mouth and your helmet strapped on tight. Those Trezvant teams did not play. Talk about slobber knocker ... whew boy! I loved those scrimmages because Trezvant would hit you in the mouth, knock you down, and dare you to get up. Some of our boys were caught off guard at first. Coach would say, don't look at me, I guess you better hit back, lol.