BRUINS HOST COLUMBIA ACADEMY

tradertwo

On 9/24/2019 at 1:09 PM, Kublah said:

From what I've seen of CA -- which isn't much -- I  do expect USJ to win pretty handily. You can definitely see how in an up year they'll be a tough out though.

Bigger picture is USJ is a very good team, and tradertwo is right to chirp on behalf of his friend. I personally doubted this coaching staff after the first couple seasons, but I'm a believer now. 

It's not just that USJ has been winning... they've been playing with discipline, technique, heart and mental toughness. Those are the foundations that lead to a winning program year after year even as talent ebbs and flows.

Though I'm sure there will be some murmuring from the coacht peanut gallery, I got a kick out of them putting that extra touchdown on JCS. Football isn't always about being nice, and the best coaches and teams have an "edge" about them.

That said, the schedule gets much tougher from here on! Will be fun to watch how the top DII-A teams perform in the regular season and then adjust for the probable post season rematches.

That's the reason that I was (am) so sure that given time enough to win over the kids that Stroup and co. would be successful at USJ. It's not just football, it's a positive outlook, and a "family" mindset that is taught at ground level. I am a firm believer that you can call the wrong play, and the kids will make it work if they believe that it will strongly enough, and the Scotts Hill kids wouldn't have flinched if Coach had told them that they could run through a cinderblock wall... looks like the Bruin players have adopted that mindset too.

As long as Browder want's to call the offense, the opposing defenses will be under constant pressure... you never know where the ball will be going in any situation with him on the sideline, and Stroup's defensive philosophy, though simple, is sound as long as each position just does his job.

Not going to interject my thoughts on the late score, but I will tell you that under "normal" circumstances Stroup would not embarrass or inflame any opponent... not in his way of thinking. 

• Upvote 1

I hope it will be a good game for both teams.  I'll just leave this here.  CA lost what would have been there starting QB 2 nights before the 1st game. He's out for 4-5 weeks.   Their QB now is a sophomore and is gaining experience every week.  CA played last years state champion, DA, very tight.  Mental mistakes have been killers.  I venture to say I wonder how many teams in this division would have beaten their first two opponents Marshall County and Shelbyville??? 

44 minutes ago, youngod said:

I hope it will be a good game for both teams.  I'll just leave this here.  CA lost what would have been there starting QB 2 nights before the 1st game. He's out for 4-5 weeks.   Their QB now is a sophomore and is gaining experience every week.  CA played last years state champion, DA, very tight.  Mental mistakes have been killers.  I venture to say I wonder how many teams in this division would have beaten their first two opponents Marshall County and Shelbyville??? 

Great post!  CA has a great history and I suspect they will be a tough opponent for USJ.  Interesting you bring up the 0-4 record.  In 2015, TCA started out 0-4 and had major QB issues.  We went to the wildcat with our Mr Football and finished the year in the Final Four with a 9-5 record.  Lost our best player after the quarters and just didn’t have a chance in the semis without him.  We beat two of the 4 teams in the playoffs that had beaten us early in the year when we had QB issues.  I don’t think the other two teams wanted any part of playing us again.   I say that to say this, your 0-4 record is misleading and you guys could easily make a run and knock a bunch of teams out.  USJ is a really good team and I think they win by 2 TD’s minimum and it may be three.  They have the best offensive coordinator in West Tn and have multiple weapons.  Hope it’s a clean, injury free game.  Good luck to both teams.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Intense said:

Great post!  CA has a great history and I suspect they will be a tough opponent for USJ.  Interesting you bring up the 0-4 record.  In 2015, TCA started out 0-4 and had major QB issues.  We went to the wildcat with our Mr Football and finished the year in the Final Four with a 9-5 record.  Lost our best player after the quarters and just didn’t have a chance in the semis without him.  We beat two of the 4 teams in the playoffs that had beaten us early in the year when we had QB issues.  I don’t think the other two teams wanted any part of playing us again.   I say that to say this, your 0-4 record is misleading and you guys could easily make a run and knock a bunch of teams out.  USJ is a really good team and I think they win by 2 TD’s minimum and it may be three.  They have the best offensive coordinator in West Tn and have multiple weapons.  Hope it’s a clean, injury free game.  Good luck to both teams.

Man see we can all play in the sandbox together after all. All 3 of us have agreed and with complimented USJ today.  I need A hug now!!!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Has to be Eric Hampton. Coach at SH elementary. Son of longtime HS coach Joe Mac Hampton, and (I think) still holds the school record for single game point total at 49.

Cool. His wife put me to sleep today and woke me up. Had a good conversation about Scotts Hill

• CoachT locked this topic