Alcoa outscored all 6 region opponents 304-0

32hammer

45 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I don't see any of those team being in the same league as Alcoa or PC and think the 4 teams you named have a lot of question marks still but don't think they would be a guaranteed loss either in 4a or 5a.  South Gibson has lost to 4a Haywoods already, Covington has lost to Milan who was just beaten again last night by a 5a team. Red Bank had close wins over EH (Could finish 3rd in their conference) and Ooltewah (Who isn't good this year), Upperman loss came to Livingston Academy who granted is 9-0 but hasn't played anyone this year looking at their schedule.  Outside of Alcoa and PC depth is a big issue with most 3a teams going against 4a and 5a teams.

I agree with what you have stated. However, other than Greeneville and Betsy, I just don’t see any killers in 4A this year. Anderson County has never impressed me. 5A may be a stretch, but who knows. After all, Alcoa was held to 3 points several weeks ago. I’m glad I’m not a betting man, because I would have bet the bank that could never happen. 

9 hours ago, Jet Pride said:

Time to move to 4A after next season

I've heard people say Alcoa should move to 4a, 5a or 6a . If you use that same logic , Alabama and Clemson should have to play in the NFL. or if I have a great 112 pound wrestler that wins state 3 yrs in a row then his senior , he should have to wrestle as 220 pound wrestler his senior yr no matter what he says.

Ridiculous. Sour grapes.

3 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Yea, Us GOONS knew Knoxville West was going to be very good this year in 5A.,after Alcoa scrimmaged them right before the season started. They are very good defensive team. IMO, the 5A Championship will go thru the rematch winner of Powell and West. In that earlier scrimmage Alcoa beat West 28-14 in two quarters. The second two quarters Alcoa and West played their JV and Freshmen. Alcoa dominated 28-0. Yes, it was only a scrimmage, but Alcoa was the better team. 

If West would have ran the ball more with Mattress (sp), their beast Runningback, I think they could have won that first overtime game against Powell? I see Powell or West in the Championship game. South-Doyle, Knoxville Central and Oak Ridge will not beat either Powell or West to advance in the playoffs.......

.....just my thoughts?

if SD keeps using Elijah Young as a wildcat QB, they could surprise people deep in playoffs.

2 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

I agree with what you have stated. However, other than Greeneville and Betsy, I just don’t see any killers in 4A this year. Anderson County has never impressed me. 5A may be a stretch, but who knows. After all, Alcoa was held to 3 points several weeks ago. I’m glad I’m not a betting man, because I would have bet the bank that could never happen. 

Heck you know I'm a former Greeneville player and a Devil through and through but I don't even know if I would classify Greeneville or Betsy to be true killers this year.  Greeneville has the talent but make too many mistakes and play calling has been confusing at times to say the least.  Betsy about lost to South last night who shouldn't have been on the field with them.  I believe that the top of 3a and 4a would fair just fine with each other but over all outside of the top 10 in 3a it drops off quite a bit were 4a and 5a in my opinion just has more depth

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

yes sir. Covington last year would have been the 2nd best 4a team last yr.

very debatable on that.  The only common opponent between Haywood and Covington was Crockett Co last year.  Haywood won 41-14 the week before Covington beat them the following week 27-6

Haywood also didn't give Greeneville their best game last year in 4a

Edited by Swipes

28 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Heck you know I'm a former Greeneville player and a Devil through and through but I don't even know if I would classify Greeneville or Betsy to be true killers this year.  Greeneville has the talent but make too many mistakes and play calling has been confusing at times to say the least.  Betsy about lost to South last night who shouldn't have been on the field with them.  I believe that the top of 3a and 4a would fair just fine with each other but over all outside of the top 10 in 3a it drops off quite a bit were 4a and 5a in my opinion just has more depth

Depth is definitely a huge factor. As you probably know, Alcoa usually has twice, maybe 3x, the depth of most opponents. However, I’ve seen teams with zero depth play tough for 4 qtrs. For example, CAKe a few years back, AE most years, Upperman last year as well as Covington in both Championship games. CPA was pretty tough as well. I like having numbers, but it’s really about talent, discipline and players being ready (in shape) to play. I think that’s where I’d put the extra teams I listed against most in 4A and 5A from what I’ve seen from this year’s games. Every year, not so much. 

29 minutes ago, Swipes said:

very debatable on that.  The only common opponent between Haywood and Covington was Crockett Co last year.  Haywood won 41-14 the week before Covington beat them the following week 27-6

I think they should go to 3 classes 1a2a,  3a4a and 5a6a

43 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Im also former Alcoa player. Although we were nowhere close to the level of the current Tornado teams, we took our licks! Lol

The whole reason this conversation was started was due to someone suggesting that Alcoa should move up for competition. If Alcoa was to move up to 4A, they would either have to travel to the Chattanooga area or upper east TN with Greeneville. That’s a ton of travel. I just can’t see why they would agree to move up just to get a game with Greeneville and Betsy On a yearly basis. They are in a fairly competitive region where they are. Yes gate money could be better, but in 4A which other teams are gonna provide a huge difference than the two I mentioned? Just doesn’t make much sense to move up. Would be nice however if The Tornadoes could get the Devils and Cyclones on a year to year schedule. Not a big fan of paying Chatt Tyner to play. It is what it is. I guess you take what you can get sometimes...Blackman, Murvul and DB are pretty good pick ups...

1 hour ago, Throwdeslant said:

Im also former Alcoa player. Although we were nowhere close to the level of the current Tornado teams, we took our licks! Lol

The whole reason this conversation was started was due to someone suggesting that Alcoa should move up for competition. If Alcoa was to move up to 4A, they would either have to travel to the Chattanooga area or upper east TN with Greeneville. That’s a ton of travel. I just can’t see why they would agree to move up just to get a game with Greeneville and Betsy On a yearly basis. They are in a fairly competitive region where they are. Yes gate money could be better, but in 4A which other teams are gonna provide a huge difference than the two I mentioned? Just doesn’t make much sense to move up. Would be nice however if The Tornadoes could get the Devils and Cyclones on a year to year schedule. Not a big fan of paying Chatt Tyner to play. It is what it is. I guess you take what you can get sometimes...Blackman, Murvul and DB are pretty good pick ups...

Travel is the MAIN reason we dropped from 4a. Maplewood is paying the effects of this now.

• Upvote 1