Covington (8-2) @ Melrose (6-4)

Well, Covington this year is a tale of two seasons: 1) With Caleb Winfrey and 2) without Caleb Winfrey. With Winfrey, CHS was giving up an average of 5 points per game. Since Winfrey was injured, the Chargers have given up 14 to Milan, 20 to SGC and 27 to McNairy County (Winfrey played in the first half vs. McNairy and was injured again). 

Of course, those three teams mentioned above were also the best talent we have played. Still, an All-State linebacker might have made the difference in one or more of those games. And, remember that vs. Alcoa last year, Winfrey carried the ball from scrimmage a few times and picked up good yardage against their defense. I remember a couple of times that Milan and SGC stopped us on fourth-and-short, when Winfrey at running back might have picked it up, 

The way Winfrey was limping Friday night, it's hard to see him coming back in the playoffs. And, with All-State running back Marcus Hayes nursing an ankle injury picked up Friday nite, Covington may be short its two best players.

Still, being Covington, and with JR Kirby as coach, we will not make excuses and will give our best effort for as long as we are in the playoffs. Injuries are part of football, and we will field a team and do our best.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I firmly believe South Gibson is the best team this year. I think Milan has the best defense and McNairy scores the most points so maybe they had the best offense. But SG does all phases of the game well. Plus they don’t beat themselves with turnovers, penalties and other mistakes. That’s why they went 5-0 in the region plain and simple

Thanks for the kind words my ole friend. I completely agree with all of it. 

I also think there is not much difference between 1 and 5 in our region. It is a shame that McNairy is sitting at the house... 

I am waving the brown flag! That is the BS flag! 

SGC gets a raw deal. We get Covington in round 2, Then turnaround and get Milan! That is brown flag! 

If SGC can somehow find a way to win those contests... sheww...  I think we would certainly compete with PC. ( word i get is that PC is the real deal.) I know that PC got bounce early the past couple of years when they were supposed to be the great. Do not know if we could win but I think we could compete hard. 

39 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks for the kind words my ole friend. I completely agree with all of it. 

I also think there is not much difference between 1 and 5 in our region. It is a shame that McNairy is sitting at the house... 

I am waving the brown flag! That is the BS flag! 

SGC gets a raw deal. We get Covington in round 2, Then turnaround and get Milan! That is brown flag! 

If SGC can somehow find a way to win those contests... sheww...  I think we would certainly compete with PC. ( word i get is that PC is the real deal.) I know that PC got bounce early the past couple of years when they were supposed to be the great. Do not know if we could win but I think we could compete hard. 

I'll comment on Pearl-Cohn. They got bounced early last year, by Stratford. However, the previous year they advanced to the Semi-finals. Covington played them in Nashville. PC was leading at halftime, and Covington made a strong second half comeback, finally winning on a long field goal at the end of regulation. It wasn't an easy win.

They can be expected to field some great athletes, and are pretty well coached. Whoever comes out of West Tennessee could have their hands full going to Middle Tennessee. It could be PC but last year proves that they are not a sure bet to be there.

5 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I'll comment on Pearl-Cohn. They got bounced early last year, by Stratford. However, the previous year they advanced to the Semi-finals. Covington played them in Nashville. PC was leading at halftime, and Covington made a strong second half comeback, finally winning on a long field goal at the end of regulation. It wasn't an easy win.

They can be expected to field some great athletes, and are pretty well coached. Whoever comes out of West Tennessee could have their hands full going to Middle Tennessee. It could be PC but last year proves that they are not a sure bet to be there.

Charger fan, It was good to meet you a few weeks ago when we came to Covington!

You always post quality. Peeps like you make the T so good. 

Whoever comes out of this region alive to make the trip to Nashville will certainly be battle tested!

On 11/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, 00Chargers said:

I saw maybe 1 or 2 plays out of the wing-t last night...most of it was option and double wing for pitches. Milan was all wing-t and it was shut down. 
Dis y’all notice that Winfrey started last night and MCNairy did nothing until he tweaked that knee again. I wish they would’ve rested him 2 more weeks....I doubt he’ll return now

Thats an all out shame. #5 is a heck of a player. 

12 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Charger fan, It was good to meet you a few weeks ago when we came to Covington!

You always post quality. Peeps like you make the T so good. 

Whoever comes out of this region alive to make the trip to Nashville will certainly be battle tested!

I'm glad we got to meet. So, if both teams win a first round game, we will meet y'all again at SGC, right? I'm glad that I have GoogleMaps, or I would never be able to get up there again. I was following a cotton trailer the last time I got to your place, I think. 

Good luck in the first round.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:21 PM, Ironmaker said:

The stage is set for rematches between very good football teams and I think Milan will be there in the 3rd round for a rematch of their own. SGC is a great football team that is well coached and very disciplined. Covington and Milan are loaded with talent and can compete with anyone in the state. Tough road to the end. 

I still believe Milan came out better finishing 2nd...7A will walk over the Memphis teams so that puts Cov at SGC and WV at Milan....3rd round has Milan at  SGC or  Cov at Milan....whoever comes out of that has to prob go to Pearl Con....but it doesn't matter...the University of Alcoa will bus in their all-star team and win another Gold Ball...they've made a mockery out of 3A high school football....but "open zones" have allowed them to do that and the T$$AA will do nothing to stop that unfair advantage....

Edited by cofo
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, CHARGERFAN said:

I'm glad we got to meet. So, if both teams win a first round game, we will meet y'all again at SGC, right? I'm glad that I have GoogleMaps, or I would never be able to get up there again. I was following a cotton trailer the last time I got to your place, I think. 

Good luck in the first round.

Thank you sir!

It is not too bad until you get to Humboldt! At least all of the roads you will must travel on will be paved! HEY! we are moving up! Just a few years ago one of the roads that led to the high school was still a gravel road! 

1000 Hornet Drive Medina TN. Google maps will put you right at the stadium! 

Good luck in the first round as well! 

/steven