Loretto vs Greenfield @ Westview

footballover

12 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Does anyone have a complete schedule for this little get together?  Of all the teams 

Schedule as of today for Saturday:

1:00 Gibson County vs Greenfield boys

2:30 St. Agnes vs Gleason girls

4:00 Loretto vs Greenfield girls 

5:30 Gibson County vs Westview girls

7:00 Loretto vs Westview boys 

20 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You guys are too young. Bradford and Gleason combined to dominate the 90's with great teams that would at least (in my opinion) be right there with any teams mentioned. Bill Haney was considered a guru of high school ball, and he commented on air that Bradford was by far the best team at Murfreesboro one season. I'd have to take their early/mid 90's teams over any I've seen since.

The Bradford-Gleason rivalry from that time was something special. May never see a run of two teams again like that for such an extended period. David Russell & Randy Frazier are two of the best ever on the sidelines. As far as any "best ever" discussion, it's so hard to compare teams from different eras. The Darby's mother, Kasi Knott Darby was a part of that run for Bradford and think she'd be the first to tell you it's an "apples-oranges" argument. Her daughters have had opportunities to play at a high level on the AAU circuit that players didn't have in the 90's. The game has evolved. I would agree with GCPioneer's comment that started the discussion. "On paper" Greenfield is at least the best assemblage of talent in West Tennessee I've seen in Class A in my 40 years of broadcasting basketball. Can't speak for other parts of the state.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, dmm88 said:

Call me crazy, but I'm taking Loretto by 5. I'll be there to witness it just like the rest of you lol and another thing: how does this Greenfield team compare to two teams I thought were really good: the 2015-16 GC team (with Fields, Lannom and White) and also that 14-15 Middleton team (with Perry, Joy, and Jones)

Don't forget the 15-16 Middleton team that was undefeated until the state semi's when GC beat them.  Those were 2 solid teams that would probably have split 5-5 if they played 10 times. I won't say you are crazy but I think Loretto will be on the other side of the 5 points. We will see on Saturday. I will be there with all the rest of basketball fans in West TN.

46 minutes ago, BullShark said:

Don't forget the 15-16 Middleton team that was undefeated until the state semi's when GC beat them.  Those were 2 solid teams that would probably have split 5-5 if they played 10 times. I won't say you are crazy but I think Loretto will be on the other side of the 5 points. We will see on Saturday. I will be there with all the rest of basketball fans in West TN.

We played an OT game against Van Buren County the day before we played Middleton. Van Buren County came out of the Clarkrange Jackson County Region. Then played a great South Green team in the finals. We were undefeated that year and played a monster schedule until South Green. Middleton was really good as well. Greenfield will win the game this week because it is a revenge game. As far as guards, Greenfield may have the best group of guards assembled ever in West Tennessee. As far as them being the best team ever in West Tennessee, their lack of a true post player hurts that argument, IMO. Lots of great teams in West Tennessee over the years. 

Edited by pioneer42

3 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

This was a heavyweight battle worth admission. The refs let them play and I think Greenfield's physicality took a toll on Loretto down the stretch. Yes, many questionable calls, but the game remained close til the end. Cant wait for March.

It was a heavyweight fight. I honestly thought Greenfield would win by more points because it was as a revenge game and they knocked them out last year. 3 hour bus ride... Kudos to both teams for providing us the entertainment. Kudos to Loretto for stepping up and rising up to the challenge. Kudos to Greenfield for finding a way to win when it didn't play their best game. Sign of a championship team not playing your best and finding a way to win.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, NWhoopaholic said:

The Bradford-Gleason rivalry from that time was something special. May never see a run of two teams again like that for such an extended period. David Russell & Randy Frazier are two of the best ever on the sidelines. As far as any "best ever" discussion, it's so hard to compare teams from different eras. The Darby's mother, Kasi Knott Darby was a part of that run for Bradford and think she'd be the first to tell you it's an "apples-oranges" argument. Her daughters have had opportunities to play at a high level on the AAU circuit that players didn't have in the 90's. The game has evolved. I would agree with GCPioneer's comment that started the discussion. "On paper" Greenfield is at least the best assemblage of talent in West Tennessee I've seen in Class A in my 40 years of broadcasting basketball. Can't speak for other parts of the state.

I remember those good old days and the battles of the great teams in the small gyms. Standing room only and in the lobby. The game has evolved and so many teams have moved from mutiple touch sets to a pass or two and shoot a 3. I like the current version of today's type of basketball. To me, it's more entertainining and more explosive. There's been a lot of great basketball players between Gleason and Bradford over the years and it was always fun seeing/listening to them, when they made it to the championships against the larger 1A schools. Thanks for the memory flashback NWH

Edited by SuperFan14A
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

An older guy sitting beside me from Loretto was shocked that Greenfield is a single A school as good as they are. I told him there are some tough single A schools in our area that's why I hate when I get on here and folks only mention mid and East tn basketball

Count the posts, west Tennessee  is all over this board.  Especially in Single A !