Finger Lakes at the Scuffle

ChatWrestlingFan

Reiniche homecoming at the Scuffle certainly didn’t go as planned.  The crown prince of Tennessee High School Wrestling didn’t shine in his college debut.   Beyond gassed before 1st period ended in 2nd match.  He then reverted to his patented injury time stall tactic.  I’m willing to bet he never wrestles for Cornell.  Hopefully I’m wrong and he decides to commit himself to getting better.

23 minutes ago, Rasslinking said:

He’s a kid and your obviously a old man whose son or kid on your team got beat by him. Mason is a GREAT kid!!! Very respectful and loves the sport. He’s at Cornell.... if he never starts, he will still be winning ha. 

You must be confused.  Reiniche and respectful have probably never been said in the same sentence before.  I hope Cornell can help him mature but he has a long way to go.  Great wrestler, but hes the only one I have ever witnessed sitting down on the mat during State finalist introductions.  A cheap shot artist and conveniently takes injury timeout when hes in a bad spot/tired.  

4 hours ago, ChatWrestlingFan said:

Reiniche homecoming at the Scuffle certainly didn’t go as planned.  The crown prince of Tennessee High School Wrestling didn’t shine in his college debut.   Beyond gassed before 1st period ended in 2nd match.  He then reverted to his patented injury time stall tactic.  I’m willing to bet he never wrestles for Cornell.  Hopefully I’m wrong and he decides to commit himself to getting better.

Are you Parker Peterson's dad?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChatWrestlingFan said:

I don't know the young man (Mason Reiniche), so I don't want my comments to be seen as any reference to tactics or personal character. What I am curious to know is what would Cornell's future plans for him be? Just from what I saw of today's matches, Chris Foka (at the same weight) looks to be very good, and the Ramirez kid at the weight class just below looked pretty stout. (When I saw the size of MR v Joe Smith, I wondered if MR might need to go down.) It seems to me that Cornell must have some plan for these three to bring them all in. Might Foka go up? Anyone have any insight of deeper understanding of what may be happening?

On a side note, but still on Baylor wrestlers at Ivy schools: Does anyone know where Khamari Whimper landed? I've not heard where he's wrestling after his Freshman year at Penn.

3 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

Hahaha a person posting who obviously knows nothing about wrestling, nor knows these kids very well.  ObserverW your knowledge on masons character reassures anyone who knows this sport you are lost. Continue to post you guarded and inaccurate posts. 

Being a great wrestler does NOT automatically equal great character.  The two are not one in the same.  One who "loves" the sport as you claim needs to learn to show some humility.  I see the same as everyone else.  Your Chattanooga rose colored glasses are strong.

If he expects to make the Cornell lineup, he needs to get to work.  I was right in front of his mat today and watched him blow a 5 or 6 point lead in less than 2 minutes by being out of shape and trying to stall out a match.  He took an injury timeout for nothing more than to get a breather.  

Ok. I simply cant be the bigger person here and not say anything to defend my 19 year old son. Yes I am Masons Dad.  I’m sure I’m biased but I do try and view both my boys objectively and call it like it is. I feel it’s the only way to prepare properly for life. I certainly don’t think either are perfect angels and do everything right. How could they…..according to what I know….there is only one perfect being, and its none of us!

First Mason is not the “Crown Prince of Tennessee Wrestling” as it was written. There have been numerous wrestlers from Tennessee, with accomplishments/accolades far greater than Mason. I can name a few right off….Jordan Leen, Matt Keller, Simpson, Kevin Ward, Nick Marable (all from different schools) that have gone on after high school and accomplished great things. Mason is just starting his post high school career. I would however, include Mason in with some of the best Tennessee high school wrestlers. I would not say he was the best or even close to the best. There are numerous 4 timer state champions, and two 5 timers. Mason won only three. But, he was a 5 time state finalist and OW once. He was a 3 time National Prep finalist, 3 time NHSCA finalist 1 time Champ, Fargo double AA. He had the the great fortune of competing on a cadet world team. He received the State Dave Schultz award. In my opinion he was a pretty good high school wrestler.

These accomplishments in high school mean absolutely NOTHING at this next level. Mason has just started this chapter and yes it has not been pretty thus far. Without being able to see in the future, I cant tell you what hes going to accomplish or not accomplish at this next level. But I assure you he wants to make the line up at Cornell. Hes experienced a couple of setbacks with injuries actually starting with a completely torn PCL and slightly torn LCL and posterior corner ligaments damaged in his knee back from summer prior to last season. He was off the mat for 6 months then. He reinjured the same LCL (no tear) at fargo again this summer. Missed another month plus before heading to Cornell. Had a great preseason of training there and then came down with something that rendered him unable to even snap his fingers with either hand. After numerous dr visits and another month off the mat, that was cleared up with medicine and gratefully not returned. 2 days after returning to practice, he injured his ankle spraining ligaments. Another 2 plus weeks off the mat yet again. Finally on December 16th  after getting home for the break he got back on the mat to try and prepare the best he could for the Scuffle.

Obviously I knew he was not prepared for this tournament,  but he was not going to miss it for anything. It was apparent he doubted his readiness as well and was intimidated to wrestle Joe Smith right out of the gate. No question he was gassed very early into his second match. I agree with the comment for calling injury time to catch his breath….not acceptable in my book either. But im not the one out there competing knowing a lot of eyes are on him hoping he fails, confused and scared of what happens if he loses again. I can only assume he truly felt he couldn’t breath, panicked and called for injury time. I disagree with the fact he does this frequently.  Hes wrestled big time situations like this before and should have been able to overcome this. But he didn’t….so we have a discussion and point out his faults and where he needs to improve. Believe me there are a lot of areas needing improvement. Like I said previously, don’t know the future, but I know him…. He will not give up on what he really wants!

I realize my post may be viewed as a parent offering up excuses for his child, and that’s fine if it is. That’s not why I responded though. I just thought IGNORANT people might need some enlightenment, so the next time they attack the character of someone they do not obviously know, they have all the background. They might still have the same opinion of Mason after getting to know him?? Again I am his dad and maybe blind to some of his faults, but I most definitely do NOT think he is the villain some have attempted to make him out to be. I have told him to view these comments. I hope he does it in a way he can learn from them, make it positive and not only see it as a personal attack from individuals hiding behind screen names. Hoping only to see him fail.  I thank you once again for another learning opportunity for Mason!! Please let me know if you would prefer my thank you in person.

Darren Reiniche

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bestsport said:

Ok. I simply cant be the bigger person here and not say anything to defend my 19 year old son. Yes I am Masons Dad.  I’m sure I’m biased but I do try and view both my boys objectively and call it like it is. I feel it’s the only way to prepare properly for life. I certainly don’t think either are perfect angels and do everything right. How could they…..according to what I know….there is only one perfect being, and its none of us!

First Mason is not the “Crown Prince of Tennessee Wrestling” as it was written. There have been numerous wrestlers from Tennessee, with accomplishments/accolades far greater than Mason. I can name a few right off….Jordan Leen, Matt Keller, Simpson, Kevin Ward, Nick Marable (all from different schools) that have gone on after high school and accomplished great things. Mason is just starting his post high school career. I would however, include Mason in with some of the best Tennessee high school wrestlers. I would not say he was the best or even close to the best. There are numerous 4 timer state champions, and two 5 timers. Mason won only three. But, he was a 5 time state finalist and OW once. He was a 3 time National Prep finalist, 3 time NHSCA finalist 1 time Champ, Fargo double AA. He had the the great fortune of competing on a cadet world team. He received the State Dave Schultz award. In my opinion he was a pretty good high school wrestler.

These accomplishments in high school mean absolutely NOTHING at this next level. Mason has just started this chapter and yes it has not been pretty thus far. Without being able to see in the future, I cant tell you what hes going to accomplish or not accomplish at this next level. But I assure you he wants to make the line up at Cornell. Hes experienced a couple of setbacks with injuries actually starting with a completely torn PCL and slightly torn LCL and posterior corner ligaments damaged in his knee back from summer prior to last season. He was off the mat for 6 months then. He reinjured the same LCL (no tear) at fargo again this summer. Missed another month plus before heading to Cornell. Had a great preseason of training there and then came down with something that rendered him unable to even snap his fingers with either hand. After numerous dr visits and another month off the mat, that was cleared up with medicine and gratefully not returned. 2 days after returning to practice, he injured his ankle spraining ligaments. Another 2 plus weeks off the mat yet again. Finally on December 16th  after getting home for the break he got back on the mat to try and prepare the best he could for the Scuffle.

Obviously I knew he was not prepared for this tournament,  but he was not going to miss it for anything. It was apparent he doubted his readiness as well and was intimidated to wrestle Joe Smith right out of the gate. No question he was gassed very early into his second match. I agree with the comment for calling injury time to catch his breath….not acceptable in my book either. But im not the one out there competing knowing a lot of eyes are on him hoping he fails, confused and scared of what happens if he loses again. I can only assume he truly felt he couldn’t breath, panicked and called for injury time. I disagree with the fact he does this frequently.  Hes wrestled big time situations like this before and should have been able to overcome this. But he didn’t….so we have a discussion and point out his faults and where he needs to improve. Believe me there are a lot of areas needing improvement. Like I said previously, don’t know the future, but I know him…. He will not give up on what he really wants!

I realize my post may be viewed as a parent offering up excuses for his child, and that’s fine if it is. That’s not why I responded though. I just thought IGNORANT people might need some enlightenment, so the next time they attack the character of someone they do not obviously know, they have all the background. They might still have the same opinion of Mason after getting to know him?? Again I am his dad and maybe blind to some of his faults, but I most definitely do NOT think he is the villain some have attempted to make him out to be. I have told him to view these comments. I hope he does it in a way he can learn from them, make it positive and not only see it as a personal attack from individuals hiding behind screen names. Hoping only to see him fail.  I thank you once again for another learning opportunity for Mason!! Please let me know if you would prefer my thank you in person.

Darren Reiniche

Well said Sir.  I don’t personally know Mason, but the couple times I met him he was very respectful and seemed like a fine young man.  

It absolutely blows my mind how people will put down kids and hide behind user names.  If you are gonna speak bad about someone on a forum like this at least have the guts to say who you are.  I don’t have any respect for keyboard tough guys. 

Sid Mason 

Edited by Mason422
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1