Preseason Top Ten in 5A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

2 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

We've got our 2020 Preseason Top Ten posted now:

FME Preseason Top Ten

Only thing I may argue is Knox Central is my #1 team until they are beat.  I mean they are the 2 time defending champ. Summit would be #2. I think Henry County should be higher than #6. Just wanting all this corona to go away so we can all have our sports back for the fall!! 

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I agree with most of your 5A.   But no Dyers County?  And your honorable mention you had Page.  I hear they could be way down.  They lost 10 starters on. Oh sides of the ball.  Hasn't Halls been down in recent years?  What do they have coming back.  Also very very East Tn heavy.  Are you connected to that side of the state?

He is based out of Middle, TN but has covered games in different areas of the state including all the way to NE TN.  Looking at his picks for 5a he is probably basing it off of what teams have coming back compared to how teams did last year.  Central beat Summit 30-7 last year in the state championship game and teams like West, Powell, Fulton, and South-Doyle all gave them a much better game and return a lot off of those teams.  Halls is under Scott Cummings for the 2nd year and went 7-4 last year.  They return a lot of starts off last years team also.  Oak Ridge returns all their athletes with some already holding d1 offers who finished 6-6 last year and won over Mt. Juliet at Mt. Juliet last year.  5a is going to be stout on the Knoxville area this coming year.

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

He is based out of Middle, TN but has covered games in different areas of the state including all the way to NE TN.  Looking at his picks for 5a he is probably basing it off of what teams have coming back compared to how teams did last year.  Central beat Summit 30-7 last year in the state championship game and teams like West, Powell, Fulton, and South-Doyle all gave them a much better game and return a lot off of those teams.  Halls is under Scott Cummings for the 2nd year and went 7-4 last year.  They return a lot of starts off last years team also.  Oak Ridge returns all their athletes with some already holding d1 offers who finished 6-6 last year and won over Mt. Juliet at Mt. Juliet last year.  5a is going to be stout on the Knoxville area this coming year.

Wow. Sounds rough in the East.  Still think Dyer Co should be in there somewhere.  They did finish in the final 4.  Summit lost a lot but have the twins back.  Gallatin lost a lot as well but always have athletes.  Beech simply reloads every year.  Shelbyville could be a sleeper.  They always have a ton of athletes but with Cunningham back and if the coaches kid is as good as everyone says they could be surprising.   Not sure why he didn't put Shelbyville ahead of Page in the honorable mention category.  They lost everyone.   Hillsboro is another team that could be a big surprise.  Their freshman QB and RB got lots of work last year.

Edited by BooWhoWiseMan

5 hours ago, Swipes said:

I agree with your assessment. We did lose a lot from last years team but we have a few dynamic players returning who will still make us dangerous and we have some sleepers, particularly at one position, that will surprise teams this year. Staying healthy will be an ABSOLUTE must for us as our depth is down. I forgot about but agree with your point on Oak Ridge. They will be very good this year(should be at least). Halls....idk, one would think they should be great but they don’t have very many athletes. Hurts them in big games sometimes I think. Outside of Summit, Beech and Henry County I’m not very sure ab Mid-West TN. I have Henry county as my pick. They have the potential to dominate teams this year with what they return IMO.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Wow. Sounds rough in the East.  Still think Dyer Co should be in there somewhere.  They did finish in the final 4.  Summit lost a lot but have the twins back.  Gallatin lost a lot as well but always have athletes.  Beech simply reloads every year.  Shelbyville could be a sleeper.  They always have a ton of athletes but with Cunningham back and if the coaches kid is as good as everyone says they could be surprising.   Not sure why he didn't put Shelbyville ahead of Page in the honorable mention category.  They lost everyone.   Hillsboro is another team that could be a big surprise.  Their freshman QB and RB got lots of work last year.

Well, we hoped to generate discussion in the dead period and it looks like we did just that.   I'm sure there are teams that deserve to be higher and teams that deserve to be lower.   Unfortunately I don't have a survey that I send out to all the Coaches like Donovan and Murphy do, so there are facts about teams that I don't know.   I dig up hudl video and look max and other stat related sites, but obviously according to you, we missed alot.   

The main thing is an FME preseason top ten doesn't carry much weight on the field so all the teams you mentioned will have plenty of opportunity to make us look foolish this fall.   Appreciate you chiming in on the top ten.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swipes said:

Oak Ridge does return many good athletes but what has me excited is the linemen coming back. It seems like forever that we have had experienced linemen. RWR!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Well, we hoped to generate discussion in the dead period and it looks like we did just that.   I'm sure there are teams that deserve to be higher and teams that deserve to be lower.   Unfortunately I don't have a survey that I send out to all the Coaches like Donovan and Murphy do, so there are facts about teams that I don't know.   I dig up hudl video and look max and other stat related sites, but obviously according to you, we missed alot.   

The main thing is an FME preseason top ten doesn't carry much weight on the field so all the teams you mentioned will have plenty of opportunity to make us look foolish this fall.   Appreciate you chiming in on the top ten.

I love the show! You do a great job. Hopefully we can prove on the field a much higher rank than 6! :grin:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I agree with your assessment. We did lose a lot from last years team but we have a few dynamic players returning who will still make us dangerous and we have some sleepers, particularly at one position, that will surprise teams this year. Staying healthy will be an ABSOLUTE must for us as our depth is down. I forgot about but agree with your point on Oak Ridge. They will be very good this year(should be at least). Halls....idk, one would think they should be great but they don’t have very many athletes. Hurts them in big games sometimes I think. Outside of Summit, Beech and Henry County I’m not very sure ab Mid-West TN. I have Henry county as my pick. They have the potential to dominate teams this year with what they return IMO.

Appreciate the praise! And IMO I feel the same way. We have potential to have one of the best offenses in school history. It all has to come together though and everybody has to do their part and I like our chances. As far as the East I just cant see anybody beating Central yet. Their new head coach I feel is going to pick up where they have left off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PatriotsNation said:

Appreciate the praise! And IMO I feel the same way. We have potential to have one of the best offenses in school history. It all has to come together though and everybody has to do their part and I like our chances. As far as the East I just cant see anybody beating Central yet. Their new head coach I feel is going to pick up where they have left off. 

I appreciate your vote of confidence. I will be very blunt and honest, we have a long way to go. The past two years we knew we had teams that could win it all, this team will be very young overall. Yes we have a couple vets who are studs and a few other starters from last year but overall we lost a lot. Losing practice time due to this covid crap is killing us like I’m sure it is everyone else. HC will be good as long as Damron is upright and Odoms and Kendall(I think is his name) stay healthy. Not sure on defense but they should be ok. Our defense, anchored by one particular playmaker :D, will be ok. Offense will be a question, I do believe our young QB will do good. But as a whole, LONG ways away from thinking about Cookeville.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I appreciate your vote of confidence. I will be very blunt and honest, we have a long way to go. The past two years we knew we had teams that could win it all, this team will be very young overall. Yes we have a couple vets who are studs and a few other starters from last year but overall we lost a lot. Losing practice time due to this covid crap is killing us like I’m sure it is everyone else. HC will be good as long as Damron is upright and Odoms and Kendall(I think is his name) stay healthy. Not sure on defense but they should be ok. Our defense, anchored by one particular playmaker :D, will be ok. Offense will be a question, I do believe our young QB will do good. But as a whole, LONG ways away from thinking about Cookeville.

I agree. The one thing that hurts all teams is missing some time due to this virus. Being that Central lost a lot and have a new head coach they may not make the title game but I fully expect a 3rd round/semifinal. They know what it takes now to win it all. Some of the players do, the new head coach does. Its gonna be fun to watch how everything unfolds. If I'm being totally honest I'm not worried about Henry County's offense this year, somewhat worried about the defense. I'm sure the coaching staff with get them to play pretty good though. IMO if our defense is better than I think then the sky is the limit. Who knows but its always fun to dream in April.