DII Individual State Predictions

TalkingSense

1 minute ago, durdon said:

It’s now been posted online so I’ll mention it here.  Christian Brothers Evan Anthony maybe the toughest kid in Tennessee.  He won his state title yesterday and wrestled the entire State and region tournaments with a torn ACL. He is having surgery this week to get it repaired.  Big kudos to Garrett Bowers for moving up a weight class so Evan could drop and have an easier path to get his state title. 

That’s amazing! What I love about this sport is sacrifice (from Bowers) but the grit from Evan. Wrestling teaches you when the going gets tough, that doesn’t mean you stop going. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, durdon said:

That is not a stat that is actually kept but talking to some guys that really know TN wrestling history, they said there been multiple times that teams have placed all 14 weights.  If you look at just D2 since the spilt this wasn’t even the most points scored by a team.  You have to remember just how dominate the Father Ryan teams of the mid teens were.  

Since the Father Ryan teams of the mid teams were referenced...you actually can go through track and look this up, I like research so I did.

I do not think anyone can deny this was a dominant performance by Baylor & Baylor broke the tie with the win and has won 16 Traditional State Championships to Father Ryan's 15 (both very impressive).

Baylor 2020: Score: 248.5 Champions: 6/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 4/ 4th: 1 (total medalists: 13- lowest being 1 4th)

This team is on par with the best Father Ryan teams of the mid teens with the best being in 2015 and their team score was 0.5 better than this years Baylor team!

Father Ryan 2014: Score: 233.0/ Champions: 3/ Runner up: 5/ 3rd: 3/ 4th: 2 (total medalists: 13)

Father Ryan 2015: Score: 249.0/ Champions: 7/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 2/ 5th: 2/ 6th: 1 (total medalists: 14)*

This team placed all 14, but 2 in 5th and 1 in 6th

Father Ryan 2016: Score: 247.0/ Champions: 7/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 1/ 4th: 1/ 5th: 2/ 6th:1 (total medalists: 13)

Father Ryan 2017: Score: 239.5/ Champions: 5/ Runner up: 3/ 3rd: 1/ 4th: 4 (total medalists: 13)

Great teams across the board, but I definitely put this years Baylor team on par with the best Father Ryan teams of the mid 2014-17...AND Baylor looks to return pretty strong next year!

Edited by TrustMe
Update

2 hours ago, TrustMe said:

Since the Father Ryan teams of the mid teams were referenced...you actually can go through track and look this up, I like research so I did.

I do not think anyone can deny this was a dominant performance by Baylor & Baylor broke the tie with the win and has won 16 Traditional State Championships to Father Ryan's 15 (both very impressive).

Baylor 2020: Score: 248.5 Champions: 6/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 4/ 4th: 1 (total medalists: 13- lowest being 1 4th)

This team is on par with the best Father Ryan teams of the mid teens with the best being in 2015 and their team score was 0.5 better than this years Baylor team!

Father Ryan 2014: Score: 233.0/ Champions: 3/ Runner up: 5/ 3rd: 3/ 4th: 2 (total medalists: 13)

Father Ryan 2015: Score: 249.0/ Champions: 7/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 2/ 5th: 2/ 6th: 1 (total medalists: 14)*

This team placed all 14, but 2 in 5th and 1 in 6th

Father Ryan 2016: Score: 247.0/ Champions: 7/ Runner up: 2/ 3rd: 1/ 4th: 1/ 5th: 2/ 6th:1 (total medalists: 13)

Father Ryan 2017: Score: 239.5/ Champions: 5/ Runner up: 3/ 3rd: 1/ 4th: 4 (total medalists: 13)

Great teams across the board, but I definitely put this years Baylor team on par with the best Father Ryan teams of the mid 2014-17...AND Baylor looks to return pretty strong next year!

Thanks for the research  

A little deeper research and the 2011 Baylor team scored 315 points with 6 champs; 4 runner ups; (2) 4th and (1) 5th place finisher. The question was dominant performances at state and this team was 59 points ahead of 2nd place Christian Brothers.

Other year high totals were:

Baylor 2010 - 282 pts

Father Ryan 2009 - 253 pts

And the historical 2008 season when Father Ryan and Baylor were co-champions with 275 pts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbwire said:

A little deeper research and the 2011 Baylor team scored 315 points with 6 champs; 4 runner ups; (2) 4th and (1) 5th place finisher. The question was dominant performances at state and this team was 59 points ahead of 2nd place Christian Brothers.

Baylor 2010 - 282 pts

And the historical 2008 season when Father Ryan and Baylor were co-champions with 275 pts 

Now that is in depth research!! 315 points looks untouchable today-

Impressive!

Thanks,

27 minutes ago, TrustMe said:

Now that is in depth research!! 315 points looks untouchable today-

Impressive!

Thanks,

What looks almost untouchable is the 8 individual championships (66.66% with only 12 weight classifications) of Red Bank in the 1960's.  Father Ryan got close twice with 7 (50% with 14 weight classifications) but 8 will be difficult to reach or top.

Edited by cbg
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, barbwire said:

Baylor 2010 - 282 pts

I was going to post that I thought that the 2011 Baylor team was the best of the teams that I am aware of.  2010 is about as far back as I go but I remember how dominating the 2010 and 2011 Baylor teams were and I thought they might Have better than the Ryan 2015 and 2016 teams but I didn’t have the numbers verify that. It is still darn impressive that those 2 Ryan teams had 7 champs, but I didn’t realize how incredible the 2011 Baylor team was.  

And then when you add in 2008 and 2009 Baylor and Ryan teams it shows that while this years Baylor team was really good and dominate this year, historically their has been multiple other teams that were actually more dominate.

And, while it’s not D2  no team will ever be as dominating as the Red Bank teams of the early 60’s were. 

• Upvote 1

Agree- no team in todays wrestling environment will come close to the Red Bank 1960's dominance (just going on what is reported hear as I have not knowledge)- I find it interesting how cyclical the power in D2 changes hands. Currently with Baylor, has been with Father Ryan, McCallie, Christian Brothers...now MBA and Brentwood Academy is starting to make a statement...fun to watch.