Region 7 A

pioneer42

10 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

I know Union City is a good team, and this is not a diss on them because I like what Reedy is doing there, but how was the game with Peabody that close?

Well Peabody isn’t a horrible team for one, had GC on the ropes in the 2nd game if you remember. Great coach with a great game plan and kids executed it. UC didn’t impress me. Not much offense run from UC, all iso looked to me like and Peabody guarded it. Youth and inexperience cost Peabody as they hit a scoring drought in the 2nd half, turned it over vs a zone too much and then got body slammed without any calls from horrible Memphis officials. I don’t see UC beating GC but I could be wrong. Peabody exceeded expectations this year with how young they are, I expect them to be very good next year. Coach Hart does more with less basketball talent than any coach around. Congrats to Peabody on another good year! 

12 minutes ago, BABABA said:

Well Peabody isn’t a horrible team for one, had GC on the ropes in the 2nd game if you remember. Great coach with a great game plan and kids executed it. UC didn’t impress me. Not much offense run from UC, all iso looked to me like and Peabody guarded it. Youth and inexperience cost Peabody as they hit a scoring drought in the 2nd half, turned it over vs a zone too much and then got body slammed without any calls from horrible Memphis officials. I don’t see UC beating GC but I could be wrong. Peabody exceeded expectations this year with how young they are, I expect them to be very good next year. Coach Hart does more with less basketball talent than any coach around. Congrats to Peabody on another good year! 

GC ran into the same problem with officials. Took Madison Hart completely out of her element last night. Peabody is very young and has improved a lot and they will be a handful next year. The GC game they definitely had GC on the ropes and took every bit GC had in the tank to beat them. They always are a dangerous team and play extremely hard. I think next year GC and Peabody will battle it out again for the District Title.

27 minutes ago, BABABA said:

Fair enough... personally, I don't think Union City beats us, but they have some talent that is capable of doing big things. 

2 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Fair enough... personally, I don't think Union City beats us, but they have some talent that is capable of doing big things. 

UC has some kids who could pose matchup problems for GC. Hosting the tournament this year will help, as GC is always a tough team to play at home. If Neal wasn't hurt, I'd feel better about the matchup, but I think this will end up being a close one. 

4 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

UC has some kids who could pose matchup problems for GC. Hosting the tournament this year will help, as GC is always a tough team to play at home. If Neal wasn't hurt, I'd feel better about the matchup, but I think this will end up being a close one. 

I said before the region started that Union City scares me more than Gleason did. Jada Williams and Amari Bonds are both D1 kids. I do think we will be fine though.

14 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

I said before the region started that Union City scares me more than Gleason did. Jada Williams and Amari Bonds are both D1 kids. I do think we will be fine though.

UC seems to struggle against a zone defense and has trouble with ball handling against the press at times. At same time Bond and Williams are most dangerous when they do break the press. But GC plays a tough man to man defense as well. All about matchups. Gleason didn’t seem to match up with GC’s defense good at all. Actually I was very surprised that they struggled as much as they did. Looked like GC was the much better conditioned team and Gleason was subbing a lot. You called it with Gleason. Now GC did shoot well, but I expected a single digit game to be honest.

Edited by pioneer42

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

UC seems to struggle against a zone defense and has trouble with ball handling against the press at times. At same time Bond and Williams are most dangerous when they do break the press. But GC plays a tough man to man defense as well. All about matchups. Gleason didn’t seem to match up with GC’s defense good at all. Actually I was very surprised that they struggled as much as they did. Looked like GC was the much better conditioned team and Gleason was subbing a lot.

We looked good offensively and defensively last night.... we looked like the reigning state champs out there...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

UC seems to struggle against a zone defense and has trouble with ball handling against the press at times. At same time Bond and Williams are most dangerous when they do break the press. But GC plays a tough man to man defense as well. All about matchups. Gleason didn’t seem to match up with GC’s defense good at all. Actually I was very surprised that they struggled as much as they did. Looked like GC was the much better conditioned team and Gleason was subbing a lot.

I'd be worried about pressing UC if I was GC. Leaves the opportunity for the game to turn into a track meet and UC wins that matchup. Running some zone might be good, as Bonds can get a bit passive offensively. Wilkins is a great coach and will have a good game plan, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I'd just be worried if that will be enough to win.

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

UC seems to struggle against a zone defense and has trouble with ball handling against the press at times. At same time Bond and Williams are most dangerous when they do break the press. But GC plays a tough man to man defense as well. All about matchups. Gleason didn’t seem to match up with GC’s defense good at all. Actually I was very surprised that they struggled as much as they did. Looked like GC was the much better conditioned team and Gleason was subbing a lot. You called it with Gleason. Thought they were a much better team.

Gibson Co is just so well coached. You've got to keep the petal to the medal all night or they're gonna pass you. They're not real flashy but they just keep coming. If you lose focus you're beat!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

We looked good offensively and defensively last night.... we looked like the reigning state champs out there...

Coach Wilkins has done a great job getting these girls to gel. Cantrell is as fearless and has as much confidence as a freshman that you will see. GC will have three big time double digit players in two Hart’s and Cantrelle next year. They are going to be a handful for a while. 

12 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

I'd be worried about pressing UC if I was GC. Leaves the opportunity for the game to turn into a track meet and UC wins that matchup. Running some zone might be good, as Bonds can get a bit passive offensively. Wilkins is a great coach and will have a good game plan, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I'd just be worried if that will be enough to win.

I think GC will mix it up and keep them off guard. Bonds and Williams are great players though. We will have our work cut out for us, but I do like the way GC is playing right now.