John Wilkins Named Girls coach at McKenzie...will remain Boys coach as well

VOLnWTN

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree. He is a good coach as is coach Wilkins, David and Mark. They will be very disciplined and fundamental and effort will never be a problem. He will work 24/7 to make them better.

I have a feeling some will take off their high tops because of the discipline. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

I have a feeling some will take off their high tops because of the discipline. 

I have watched our coach in practice and like every good coach should do they pay attention to detail in a big way. You don’t box out, you turn the ball over, your not hustling your running or doing push ups. I know GC’s Coach has a knack for getting every ounce of energy out of his players and rises to the occasion in big games. Players respect him in a big way. I expect John to do the same. McKenzie has some talent to work with too. Good hire!!

Edited by pioneer42

8 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

Great hire.. even though his name didnt pop up in my mind. I just hope that he gives equal attention to both programs. I am excited to see how far he takes our girls program over the next few years. Maybe he will keep all the girls who attitude problems in check.

Good hire but I dont see how he can do both jobs. That's a lot on him. Bet he gives up the boys job pretty soon. Girls is the better game.

8 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

Great hire.. even though his name didnt pop up in my mind. I just hope that he gives equal attention to both programs. I am excited to see how far he takes our girls program over the next few years. Maybe he will keep all the girls who attitude problems in check.

I agree and I wonder how schools are doing that hires both a girls and boys coach. Hope he doesn't get mentally exhausted knowing that his workload will carry even more.

6 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Good hire but I dont see how he can do both jobs. That's a lot on him. Bet he gives up the boys job pretty soon. Girls is the better game.

I am not sure either. This hire confused me. The boys will drop off this year but the girls should be better. I wonder if he wanted the job or if the administration pushed him to take it. Just hope he gives equal attention to both teams. Also he has never coached a girls team before so this year will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I agree and I wonder how schools are doing that hires both a girls and boys coach. Hope he doesn't get mentally exhausted knowing that his workload will carry even more.

Yea same I don't know if you follow McKenzie basketball but the girls should pretty good next year and the boys should drop off. It is rare for a school of McKenzie's size (about 375 students) to have the same person coaching both girls and boys basketball. My other question is.. I want to know who applied for the job or if any did at all?  There are so many people in our area and around West Tennessee that would have went after before Coach Wilkins. 

3 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

Yea same I don't know if you follow McKenzie basketball but the girls should pretty good next year and the boys should drop off. It is rare for a school of McKenzie's size (about 375 students) to have the same person coaching both girls and boys basketball. My other question is.. I want to know who applied for the job or if any did at all?  There are so many people in our area and around West Tennessee that would have went after before Coach Wilkins. 

It won’t be easy to do both, but I would think they have a plan. These guys get after it. Hard to win a state in girls but almost impossible in boys dealing with the Memphis Teams. Just hope we can get back to playing some HS sports. 

19 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I would figured McKenzie received some applicants, but arguably none of them probably match their thinking. Just hope that Wilkins didn't push the administration buttons on getting the job (which I don't believe he would do that). McKenzie's issue is on the gridiron, not the court.