Who wins AA in 2020-21, and why?

tssaafan

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Prayers for her!! It was a 1 point win. I told HawkGuy06 earlier that South Gibson is talented and he scolded me a little, lol. Gibson County and South Side really are that good when things are clicking. South Gibson has a lot of talent.

Yea you said it. I didn’t see it when we played them but we was mid season form at the beginning of the season. 

1 hour ago, sportslover88 said:

Yes. Hit head hard on floor in first half and went unconscious. Taken out of the gym on a stretcher. She was sent to LeBonheur in Memphis. Last I heard she was getting feeling back in her legs and could finally wiggle her toes some.

Praying she’s okay!! Thanks for the update! 

9 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Prayers for her!! It was a 1 point win. I told HawkGuy06 earlier that South Gibson is talented and he scolded me a little, lol. Gibson County and South Side really are that good when things are clicking. South Gibson has a lot of talent.

South Gibson has a lot of potential, they showed that tonight. Just haven't been able to come anywhere close to maximizing that potential yet. They played well and kept the game close, even before Harrison got hurt. First game I've gotten to see Westview this year, and wasn't as wowed by them as I've been the last few years. Not sure if it was just an off night, or what. 

After the injury, Westview looked (understandably) rattled, but they played solid defense and managed to hang on. South Gibson sat on the ball the final two minutes, and held for one shot at the end. Both teams throughout the game held the ball for long periods of time (SGC primarily). Westview sat in a zone and South Gibson kept sitting on the ball to try and pull them out of it. It was a game of chicken and no one budged. Made you wish we had a shot clock in high school.

Weird night for both teams. Harrison injury was very scary. Hate to see that happen to anyone, but especially someone of her caliber. Hopefully, she makes a full recovery quickly. Was glad to hear last night that she was regaining feeling. South Gibson was playing without their coach and lead assistant coach (they are married). Their 13 year old son was diagnosed with Leukemia on Monday and has suddenly been very very sick. Moving him to St. Jude. Keep them in your prayers!

39 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

South Gibson has a lot of potential, they showed that tonight. Just haven't been able to come anywhere close to maximizing that potential yet. They played well and kept the game close, even before Harrison got hurt. First game I've gotten to see Westview this year, and wasn't as wowed by them as I've been the last few years. Not sure if it was just an off night, or what. 

After the injury, Westview looked (understandably) rattled, but they played solid defense and managed to hang on. South Gibson sat on the ball the final two minutes, and held for one shot at the end. Both teams throughout the game held the ball for long periods of time (SGC primarily). Westview sat in a zone and South Gibson kept sitting on the ball to try and pull them out of it. It was a game of chicken and no one budged. Made you wish we had a shot clock in high school.

Weird night for both teams. Harrison injury was very scary. Hate to see that happen to anyone, but especially someone of her caliber. Hopefully, she makes a full recovery quickly. Was glad to hear last night that she was regaining feeling. South Gibson was playing without their coach and lead assistant coach (they are married). Their 13 year old son was diagnosed with Leukemia on Monday and has suddenly been very very sick. Moving him to St. Jude. Keep them in your prayers!

Prayers sent to the son and family and for the Westview PG. South Gibson is a good post player from being a real good team. They have athletes and shooters. Do think if they press a bunch and handle the ball they are really dangerous. They have a lot of athletes on that team. 

10 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Prayers sent to the son and family and for the Westview PG. South Gibson is a good post player from being a real good team. They have athletes and shooters. Do think if they press a bunch and handle the ball they are really dangerous. They have a lot of athletes on that team. 

They should have a couple of solid posts coming up the pipe over the next couple of years, but all of their height seems to be lanky right now. With as many athletes as they have, they can play positionless basketball and thrive. One of their best players, Bone, is playing a post when she should be a wing. Great 3pt shooter, not built to play the post offensively. If they can figure things out over the next few years, they should give South Side some competitive games in that new region, but they still have a ways to go. Pieces are there, but not put together.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:11 PM, Dexter10 said:

Macon is better than average that district is tough every night.  Westmoreland is a very good defensive team and if they can score in the mid 40’s they will have a chance to beat almost anyone I expect them to make a serious run to get to the state tournament 

Spot on.  Most people don’t remember Westmoreland was the ONLY team to beat Macon LAST year when Macon had the best team in AA.  They were the best half court defensive team I have seen in a very longtime.  They appear to be very good defensively again this year.  Just look at their scores.  They have held 6 teams to 20 or less.  They should have been in the glass house last year. 

Macon was playing really well earlier this year.  Not sure what happened as of late but you better not write them off just yet.  Upperman exposed them but that’s still a very good team.   I expect Larry to figure it out and they will turn it around.  I want to see Macon vs York round 2.  No way that is a 20pt win by York.  And I really like York.  

51 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

They should have a couple of solid posts coming up the pipe over the next couple of years, but all of their height seems to be lanky right now. With as many athletes as they have, they can play positionless basketball and thrive. One of their best players, Bone, is playing a post when she should be a wing. Great 3pt shooter, not built to play the post offensively. If they can figure things out over the next few years, they should give South Side some competitive games in that new region, but they still have a ways to go. Pieces are there, but not put together.

I do believe South Gibson will not be close to us in any game for the next at least 3 or 4 years. We are deep & have a lot of young talent! We only will graduate 2 seniors next year, only 1 starter. We start 1 senior, 2 sophomores, 2 juniors! 3 juniors playing a lot of minutes, 2 more sophomores playing starter minutes & a freshman playing a lot of minutes. South Gibson has came along way in their short time of being open but they definitely don’t want to see us in district play 

14 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I do believe South Gibson will not be close to us in any game for the next at least 3 or 4 years. We are deep & have a lot of young talent! We only will graduate 2 seniors next year, only 1 starter. We start 1 senior, 2 sophomores, 2 juniors! 3 juniors playing a lot of minutes, 2 more sophomores playing starter minutes & a freshman playing a lot of minutes. South Gibson has came along way in their short time of being open but they definitely don’t want to see us in district play 

Do think South Gibson playing South Side 3-4 times possibly a year will be good for them. Do think South Gibson has to play more like South Side and Gibson County with an aggressive we are going to hit you in the mouth type style. They have the athletes to play 94 feet. 

I've been a believer in South Gibson these last 20 months or so, I said once they learned how to win big games, they would take off. Safe to say, they have done just that. Now, that being said they do have a lot of weird pieces and her job is to get them playing as one when the region tourney rolls around, if they do that they are one team (aside from South Side and Westview) that no one wants to play. Also praying for Harrison and Westview, you want her to heal quickly, BUT under any circumstances don't rush her back before she's ready. As well, prayers to the son of the coach. Hope he gets to a speedy recovery as well.

59 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

There is a lot that needs to happen for South Gibson to get to the point they can consistently compete with South Side, not saying they are there right now. However, they have the pieces on the team to get there. There is enough potential coming through that program that they can compete with anyone, but they have to develop and utilize it properly; and at this point, that's the biggest question mark. South Side will be for sure the team to beat, and for good reason, but if they play their cards right don't sleep on SGC, especially down the road.

32 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

There is a lot that needs to happen for South Gibson to get to the point they can consistently compete with South Side, not saying they are there right now. However, they have the pieces on the team to get there. There is enough potential coming through that program that they can compete with anyone, but they have to develop and utilize it properly; and at this point, that's the biggest question mark. South Side will be for sure the team to beat, and for good reason, but if they play their cards right don't sleep on SGC, especially down the road.

We worked out with South Gibson’s current crop of players when they were 8th graders with Jeremy Vonner  in Jackson a couple of off seasons ago. Jeremy actually is on staff with South Gibson now and a feather in South Gibson’s hat for that because Jeremy has done a ton for basketball both girls and boys in West TN over the years. This group was super fast in drills as 8th graders and athletic and they have Allen now to go along with Seales, Williams, Baggett, Bone, Spencer, Friend etc.. I personally think they flirt with turning them loose and IMO should turn them loose 4 quarters. To play and compete with a South Side you have to play like them or attempt to. You have to punch back because they are going to hit you in the mouth 4 quarters.

Edited by pioneer42