Will there be football?

Happy summer workouts are starting, however not convinced there will be a season. What happens when Team A  has 3 players test positive for the virus.  Do you test everyone on the team every day? When do you allow them back?  How do you handle the media frenzy when the newspapers and TV stations  descend upon your campus and start the “Why are you not canceling games and practices” questions.  How do you handle parents who will not allow their son to play or practice with the infected kids?  You have all seen what the media has done with this pandemic in the last 2 months.  I believe leadership will cave at the first sign of trouble.  Don’t think we will see any sports until 2021.  

1 hour ago, MrFootball71 said:

Happy summer workouts are starting, however not convinced there will be a season. What happens when Team A  has 3 players test positive for the virus.  Do you test everyone on the team every day? When do you allow them back?  How do you handle the media frenzy when the newspapers and TV stations  descend upon your campus and start the “Why are you not canceling games and practices” questions.  How do you handle parents who will not allow their son to play or practice with the infected kids?  You have all seen what the media has done with this pandemic in the last 2 months.  I believe leadership will cave at the first sign of trouble.  Don’t think we will see any sports until 2021.  

You are probably right in that public opinion may shape this thing more than anything else.    We all want safety but at the same time to get back to regular life too.    There just isn't an easy answer.     I will be very disappointed if they cancel football.    Let's face it, a lot of us guys live for the HS football season.   It gives us a chance to become emotionally involved in a game where we personally know players and coaches, unlike college or the pros where we are only spectators.

19 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

You are probably right in that public opinion may shape this thing more than anything else.    We all want safety but at the same time to get back to regular life too.    There just isn't an easy answer.     I will be very disappointed if they cancel football.    Let's face it, a lot of us guys live for the HS football season.   It gives us a chance to become emotionally involved in a game where we personally know players and coaches, unlike college or the pros where we are only spectators.

So many unknowns.  If no one gets sick during the workouts I think after dead  period will be relaxed. Everything will be affected by these reopening weeks. 

4 hours ago, MrFootball71 said:

Why stop at 2021?  It is here to stay, we will just have to deal with it.  

• Like 1

No football this year. Most likely no basketball and wrestling.  Sports that do not allow for social distancing are most likely done for next year.  Public concerns and liability concerns will win out in the end.  School superintendents are not going to risk it. I am not happy at all with it.

9 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Why stop at 2021?  It is here to stay, we will just have to deal with it.  

THE ODDS OF SPORTS THIS FALL ARE 50/50 AT BEST IS MY GUESS. THAT IS ALL IT IS --- A GUESS -- JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I SURE WOULD HATE TO THINK I WAS GOING TO SEND ONE OF MY CHILDREN TO PLAY UNDER THE CURRENT CONDITIONS AS THIS VIRUS HAS SEVERAL TWISTS AND TURNS TO IT EFFECTING FOLKS DIFFERENTLY.

BY 2021 SEASON IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT THERE WILL BE A BETTER TREATMENT FOR THE VIRUS AND VERY POSSIBLY A PREVENTATIVE VACCINE FOR IT.  

48 minutes ago, HSfootballan said:

THE ODDS OF SPORTS THIS FALL ARE 50/50 AT BEST IS MY GUESS. THAT IS ALL IT IS --- A GUESS -- JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I SURE WOULD HATE TO THINK I WAS GOING TO SEND ONE OF MY CHILDREN TO PLAY UNDER THE CURRENT CONDITIONS AS THIS VIRUS HAS SEVERAL TWISTS AND TURNS TO IT EFFECTING FOLKS DIFFERENTLY.

BY 2021 SEASON IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT THERE WILL BE A BETTER TREATMENT FOR THE VIRUS AND VERY POSSIBLY A PREVENTATIVE VACCINE FOR IT.  

Keep hoping.  As of right now, I think they play.  

13 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

If no football then no school in my opinion.  How can srudents be socially distant in a classroom.  

Agreed. Tennessee school liability law is very much based on the concept of "forseeability".  Meaning schools cannot be held liable when "unforseen" events take place but, when there is clear evidence that something could possibly occur then schools can be held liable.  If a student contracted covid-19 in March because of the lack of social distancing while at school that was unforseen.  Now flash forward to August.  A school district has students return to school and cannot guarantee social distancing and a student contracts covid-19.  This was "forseeable" and thus the school district can be held liable.  Unless offered relief from covid-19 liability torts on the state level I think that most schools will remain online due to liability as well as safety concerns.

• Upvote 1

I believe it is very important that Sumner Co. schools where I live get in front of this and have a coordinated response when questions or issues pop up. Director Phillips, AD Brown, Principals Crook, Powell, Becker, Cotter, Miller, Woods, Miller, and Duffer need to be on the same page on all of this.  It cannot be every man for himself.  If 1 fails we all fail. Director Phillips and AD Brown should require daily updates from the schools. In this state there has 11,735 cases and 8 deaths under the age of 40 so as you can see the risk is very low.  Very hopeful that that we will see games in August and beyond. 

10 hours ago, Joyful94 said:

Agreed. Tennessee school liability law is very much based on the concept of "forseeability".  Meaning schools cannot be held liable when "unforseen" events take place but, when there is clear evidence that something could possibly occur then schools can be held liable.  If a student contracted covid-19 in March because of the lack of social distancing while at school that was unforseen.  Now flash forward to August.  A school district has students return to school and cannot guarantee social distancing and a student contracts covid-19.  This was "forseeable" and thus the school district can be held liable.  Unless offered relief from covid-19 liability torts on the state level I think that most schools will remain online due to liability as well as safety concerns.

100% on the money. No one is talking about this, and I don't really know why. Liability is a huge player in all of this, whether we like it or not, and it will likely be the driver for whether students return to the classroom (same for colleges/universities) and whether we have sports in the fall.