COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

5 minutes ago, Joyful95 said:

You seem pretty knowledgable about your school system. What do you think your school system would do? Just curious.

Our county policy is no school=no sports. That's true for the system as a whole, or a single person within the system. That's only a partial answer, as we have offered an online option for students uncomfortable with attending classes on campus, and determined that the "online students" were eligible to play sanctioned sports. I would reserve the right to be wrong (addressed but undetermined yet) on whether a system wide shutdown requiring all students to participate online would be viewed as a "normal" shutdown for epidemic illness (as the flu) which would suspend athletics, or be viewed as online participation, which would allow games/practices. If I had to make a best guess decision, I'd say that our board would shut down athletics. I also will add that I don't forsee a shutdown of our campus' until shutting down sports would be a no brainer.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

My wife is in healthcare and it’s simply not safe to wear them for a long period of time. We can agree to disagree on this one. 

Surgeons? I see your point. Hopefully docs don’t wear for a month.

Edited by strongx

28 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I'm done with the debates... they're over with whether you agree with the restrictions or not.

I am now 100% on board with doing whatever is necessary for the kids to salvage some form of a season from this mess. I suggest that everyone who cares do the same.

+1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, strongx said:

Surgeons?

I was specifically speaking of these cheap, cloth style masks...but I didn’t make myself clear enough. That said, I can promise you surgeons remove their masks immediately after finishing....both to get fresh air and to get rid of breathing all that CO2 inside the masks. It seems like a common sense statement to make...but I guess nowadays nothing is considered common sense.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

I was specifically speaking of these cheap, cloth style masks...but I didn’t make myself clear enough. That said, I can promise you surgeons remove their masks immediately after finishing....both to get fresh air and to get rid of breathing all that CO2 inside the masks. It seems like a common sense statement to make...but I guess nowadays nothing is considered common sense.

Fair enough. How do you take the Tssaa plan. It may be on life support, but at least there is a decent chance for football if things don’t get worse.

Schools will not be able to control social distancing in the stands or concessions.  Teams will be forfeiting games because kids will get Covid. College football will not be played and NFL might not play. I do not see any way high school gets played this season

3 minutes ago, strongx said:

Fair enough. How do you take the Tssaa plan. It may be on life support, but at least there is a decent chance for football if things don’t get worse.

I think it’s the very best option they had. It allows the scheduling to stay status quo without too much chaos. As soon as things turn and the governor gives them the go ahead, the plan is in place...so it makes sense completely. In a wild and crazy random year, this is the best way to deal with it. For one season, teams may have to settle for fewer games and stricter playoff qualifications just to salvage the season. Any talk of rivalry games costing big gates early in the season is pointless since schools will have to limit fans significantly anyway...plus I am betting many people won’t even bother going to games much this fall.

9 minutes ago, Djohnson said:

Schools will not be able to control social distancing in the stands or concessions.  Teams will be forfeiting games because kids will get Covid. College football will not be played and NFL might not play. I do not see any way high school gets played this season

That’s the smart money. Let’s hope it gets better with additional mask wearing.

1 minute ago, sportsguy22 said:

I think it’s the very best option they had. It allows the scheduling to stay status quo without too much chaos. As soon as things turn and the governor gives them the go ahead, the plan is in place...so it makes sense completely. In a wild and crazy random year, this is the best way to deal with it. For one season, teams may have to settle for fewer games and stricter playoff qualifications just to salvage the season. Any talk of rivalry games costing big gates early in the season is pointless since schools will have to limit fans significantly anyway...plus I am betting many people won’t even bother going to games much this fall.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, strongx said:

That’s the smart money. Let’s hope it gets better with additional mask wearing.

I feel like sadness on that movie inside out. Everything is screwed up. I been thinking the worse just so I would be happy after meeting today. But that did not happen!

14 minutes ago, Djohnson said:

There will be no concessions. You have to buy a ticket to enter... limit ticket sales. Kids will test positive for CV-19, we can agree on that much... if reasonable people evaluate the elevated numbers of athletes testing positive against actual sickness, there actually could be a positive spin on allowing athletics in the long term. Irrelevant. You never have.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

• CoachT locked this topic