Loretto History 1990 and 1992

1 hour ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't until the 90's that they went to 4 teams.  As a matter of fact, I think it was when they went to the 5 classification system.

In 87 us and Midway were the only District 3 teams to make playoffs and in 88 we were the #3 team and missed the playoffs.So you are correct 94 I think was when it changed.

2 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Yes,the year after Oneida won the state was 93 I was off a year.

It was a little tougher for the small schools back in the day when there was only 3 classifications and only 2 schools out of each district qualifying for the playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, rtl112 said:

It was a little tougher for the small schools back in the day when there was only 3 classifications and only 2 schools out of each district qualifying for the playoffs. 

Alot tougher,East Tenn 1A teams all the way to Nashville were TOUGH!Copper Basin,SP of course,Gville,Franklin Road,Catholic,Midway,CF,Oneida,Ezell,Cloudland,BGA,GB.Wasnt no cakewalk to the 3rd and 4th round like now.

Edited by orngnblk

15 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Alot tougher,East Tenn 1A teams all the way to Nashville were TOUGH!Copper Basin,SP of course,Gville,Franklin Road,Catholic,Midway,CF,Oneida,Ezell,Cloudland,BGA,GB.Wasnt no cakewalk to the 3rd and 4th round like now.

Most of the time when there were 3 classes and the top 2 made it there were only 3 reds to the playoffs. Many teams played 13 games to win state unlike 15 today. 

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Most of the time when there were 3 classes and the top 2 made it there were only 3 reds to the playoffs. Many teams played 13 games to win state unlike 15 today. 

It was still 4 rounds plus the title game when there was the 3 classes.  There was more districts per classification then which meant on 2 qualified but there has always been 32 total teams make the playoffs as the best I can recollect.  They may have not been double the districts but I do know it was 32 teams per class back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rtl112 said:

It was still 4 rounds plus the title game when there was the 3 classes.  There was more districts per classification then which meant on 2 qualified but there has always been 32 total teams make the playoffs as the best I can recollect.  They may have not been double the districts but I do know it was 32 teams per class back then.

There was a time when only 8 teams made the playoffs in a class. In 1971 and 1977 Milan was 13-0 AA champs both years. It may have expanded later. But what I said was correct. There was a time when only 3 Rds made up the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

There was a time when only 8 teams made the playoffs in a class. In 1971 and 1977 Milan was 13-0 AA champs both years. It may have expanded later. But what I said was correct. There was a time when only 3 Rds made up the playoffs. 

Rt is around my age and I actually started playing in 8th grade in 1985 it was 15 total at that time so it changed sometime before then.

6 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Appreciate it, I wasn't for sure how far back it went but like orngnblk said I was referring to the eighties. It was the late eighties at that 88,89,90's when I played to be exact.  I don't know about just 8 teams making it.  

Edited by rtl112

I know for sure that by ‘86 it was the top four teams for each region. Our neibor to the south (Spring Hill) won the Clinic Bowl at Vanderbilt that year. I can look up who it was but they beat a 6-4 team in their first round. So, I know by then (‘86) it was the top four.

I was just curious as to why those two Loretto teams didn’t make the playoffs. Thought maybe there might be a Loretto football historian. Butch Toner really built them up. They were like us before he got there. Losing to single A schools.

11 hours ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

I know for sure that by ‘86 it was the top four teams for each region. Our neibor to the south (Spring Hill) won the Clinic Bowl at Vanderbilt that year. I can look up who it was but they beat a 6-4 team in their first round. So, I know by then (‘86) it was the top four.

I was just curious as to why those two Loretto teams didn’t make the playoffs. Thought maybe there might be a Loretto football historian. Butch Toner really built them up. They were like us before he got there. Losing to single A schools.

When I played the top 2 teams only made it and that was late eighties. That was in the district which now they call region if I'm not mistaking.