TSSAA executive director responds to Shelby County Schools superintendent

CoachT

1 hour ago, Indian said:

I'm seeing Memphis is looking at playing its own schedule this year, ending with a city championship. If so, I'm guessing basketball would follow. 

Not willing to say "good riddance" because there are some great programs there, but it would cut out 90% of the transfer problems in the state. Opens up the basketball championships to a lot of teams that ordinarily have little chance of getting there.

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Not willing to say "good riddance" because there are some great programs there, but it would cut out 90% of the transfer problems in the state. Opens up the basketball championships to a lot of teams that ordinarily have little chance of getting there.

You got that right. Boys basketball in Memphis is a different level and girls have been improving. We have been down there the last two years and have had two dogfights with Memphis Business Academy. Will be interesting for sure on how It will affect basketball. Region 7 plays Region 8 every year in sub-state.

5 hours ago, Indian said:

Football, basketball, would be okay. How about the other sports?

Taken as a whole, Memphis is beyond terrible where baseball and softball are concerned. In baseball, there are a handful (maybe) of AAA teams that are traditionally strong... if you leave out those, it's almost worse than a sandlot pickup game everywhere else that I'm aware of. Bad enough that it's usually 50/50 whether or not they bother to show up to sub state games, and if they do, it's an almost automatic run rule. 

Probably the saddest thing I've seen in high school athletics was a softball sub state game at our place... run rule game and our girls had to lend some of theirs a glove. We had just hired a new basketball coach, and was throwing him and his family a "welcome to the Lions" meet the public party in the gym. We invited our visitors in, they stayed for two hours and had a blast getting to know our kids. There were three adults with them including the coach and bus driver. I had the pleasure of talking with almost all of them at some point and heard over and over how they wished their school had our atmosphere (packed for the game, and about 150 inside the gym), and that they had a great time, even while getting walloped in the game. The thing that most Memphis bashers wouldn't know, is how humble, polite, and well mannered the kids were... they really deserved a better situation.