Milan vs Covington Region 7-3A showdown

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

I see that the Jackson Sun has listed 5 early candidates for this year's 3A Mr. Football award. Two of the candidates are Anthony Brown (Milan) and Marcus Hayes (Covington). Since attendance will be limited tomorrow night because of the pandemic, I suggest that prep football fans may want to take the opportunity to watch this game via Live Steam. 

Per an earlier post, go the Covington Gridiron Assn. Facebook page to watch this game at 7 PM on Oct. 2.

4 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Seems like most everyone is going with Covington in this game and understandably so, they got a heck of a football team. But I’m gonna pick the under (DAWGS) in a close one. 

I have a feeling that Diffee has a trick or 2 up his sleeve to score some points in this one.  Heard from on old friend that when these kind of games come to him he reaches deep into the play book to get some points on the board. We shall see soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I have a feeling that Diffee has a trick or 2 up his sleeve to score some points in this one.  Heard from on old friend that when these kind of games come to him he reaches deep into the play book to get some points on the board. We shall see soon. 

Do you think this is a grind it out kind of game. Or a game of explosive plays. Or somewhere in between?

4 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

Do you think this is a grind it out kind of game. Or a game of explosive plays. Or somewhere in between?

I know you didn’t ask me but I will chime in any way. I believe Covington will attempt to grind it out that’s just what they do. Whether or not they can is yet to be determined. They will run the ball 90+% of the time and look to pick their spots passing. We have the db’s to go man in the secondary and bring everyone else on the run. We have to be disciplined and have the D linemen fill a gap and the linebackers have to stay on their keys and not try to be Superman and make a play. Getting Covington into 3rd and long will be key. Milan will spread Covington out and look to get their athletes into space. They have a handful of guys that can take it to the house on any play. Milan has been scoring on big plays all year.  But if anyone has the D to slow that down its Covington. I look for Covington to bring lots of pressure and not give the Milan qb time to operate. They will try to force him to make quick decisions. Hopefully he makes smart ones and we don’t have any turnovers. Those will be key. 

It's going to be a great night for football. There's a little chill in the air. 

I'm expecting a hard-fought battle between two top ten ranked 3A teams. From what I read, Milan's QB seems like the real deal. Ripley had a very good running back last week who scored on a long run against Covington. I would be surprised if Milan's guy can't break away and score some.

Covington is content to run 3 yards-in-a-cloud-of -dust, as they say. We are OK to grind out one first down after another, going for it on fourth down when necessary. But, our two main running backs, Hayes and Dowell, do each average over 10 yards per carry. Give either one a little opening and they're gone to the house. 

Covington's D is doing OK. I think Westview gained 50-odd yards of total offense in that entire game. Our D gave up 13 to Haywood, but nobody else has scored over 7 on us (Ripley got one TD last week on a scoop-and-score after a fumbled pitch by our #2 offense, but just one TD by their O). 

I understand that Milan is playing pretty tough defense themselves. They sure made it hard on us at Milan last year. One plus for us is that our QB was a new starter on the varsity in 2019, and Ruffin has matured and become pretty good since then.

I'm naturally hoping for a Charger victory, and I hope that we have an injury-free and clean game. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I know you didn’t ask me but I will chime in any way. I believe Covington will attempt to grind it out that’s just what they do. Whether or not they can is yet to be determined. They will run the ball 90+% of the time and look to pick their spots passing. We have the db’s to go man in the secondary and bring everyone else on the run. We have to be disciplined and have the D linemen fill a gap and the linebackers have to stay on their keys and not try to be Superman and make a play. Getting Covington into 3rd and long will be key. Milan will spread Covington out and look to get their athletes into space. They have a handful of guys that can take it to the house on any play. Milan has been scoring on big plays all year.  But if anyone has the D to slow that down its Covington. I look for Covington to bring lots of pressure and not give the Milan qb time to operate. They will try to force him to make quick decisions. Hopefully he makes smart ones and we don’t have any turnovers. Those will be key. 

Glad you responded. That’s what I think Covington will do. Like always here it comes see if you can stop it, and it is hard to stop. But wouldn’t be surprised if Covington takes a few shots down field. Wish tickets weren’t restricted this year I would like to see this game live!

23 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

Glad you responded. That’s what I think Covington will do. Like always here it comes see if you can stop it, and it is hard to stop. But wouldn’t be surprised if Covington takes a few shots down field. Wish tickets weren’t restricted this year I would like to see this game live!

We have a nice elevated area right outside the fence not 10 yards from the end-zone by the scoreboard that some people watch it from. If I didn't have a season ticket, that's where I would be.