Oakland @ Brentwood

PatriotNation

On 10/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, MidTennFootball said:

With alot of these teams though, it's their while offense. Oakland isn't really a wing-t offense, it's an offense that just happens to run the Wing-T as one of their formations. I honestly don't think you can win a title in 6A being exclusively Wing-T and Knox West is  the only school I can think of that has won in 5A using the Veer. 

I view the Wing-T alot like zone defense in basketball. If run well, it can cover up alot of decencies. Just a out every offense now has Wing-T/ Wishbone concepts

JT Curtis out of Louisiana runs the Split Back Veer and I promise you they could play in TN 6A or 5A football against anyone.  That includes Maryville and Oakland.  

2 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

JT Curtis out of Louisiana runs the Split Back Veer and I promise you they could play in TN 6A or 5A football against anyone.  That includes Maryville and Oakland.  

Keyword, Louisiana. Curtis is also one of the top programs in the country year in and year out, so they could run the Notre Dame Box or any other formation and still beat 99.99% of the teams out there

Take a school like Blackman (just an example).  What they are doing presently is not going to put them over the top and ever allow them to knock off Oakland.  The same goes for Riverdale. 

The majority of your 5A and 6A schools are carbon copies on one another trying to run a Pro Style Spread offense and sprinkling in the 2 Back Power/Counter/Buck/Jet Spread Offense that Gus Malzhan had so much success with at Auburn before everyone started catching up to it.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either.    It's a system that works and wins a lot of games.  

Against a school like Oakland though you have to be able to do something unique that they never see and would have trouble preparing for in a limited amount of time.  That's why Service Academies that run the Flexbone Triple Option offense are a nightmare matchup for Power 5 conference schools in the NCAA.  I'll never forget this story as long as I'm alive and it's factual:

When Nick Saban was the head coach at LSU they were looking for a a non-conference game.  They scheduled a game against Georgia Southern when Paul Johnson was the head coach there and they were an FCS Powerhouse.  Saban told his Defensive Coordinator (at the time Bo Pelini) "we picked up a non-conference game against Georgia Southern."  Pelini questioned that decision and showed Saban a film of Georgia Southern running the Triple Option and less than an hour afterwards Saban was in his Athletic Director's office cancelling that against Georgia Southern.  

38 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Take a school like Blackman (just an example).  What they are doing presently is not going to put them over the top and ever allow them to knock off Oakland.  The same goes for Riverdale. 

The majority of your 5A and 6A schools are carbon copies on one another trying to run a Pro Style Spread offense and sprinkling in the 2 Back Power/Counter/Buck/Jet Spread Offense that Gus Malzhan had so much success with at Auburn before everyone started catching up to it.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either.    It's a system that works and wins a lot of games.  

Against a school like Oakland though you have to be able to do something unique that they never see and would have trouble preparing for in a limited amount of time.  That's why Service Academies that run the Flexbone Triple Option offense are a nightmare matchup for Power 5 conference schools in the NCAA.  I'll never forget this story as long as I'm alive and it's factual:

When Nick Saban was the head coach at LSU they were looking for a a non-conference game.  They scheduled a game against Georgia Southern when Paul Johnson was the head coach there and they were an FCS Powerhouse.  Saban told his Defensive Coordinator (at the time Bo Pelini) "we picked up a non-conference game against Georgia Southern."  Pelini questioned that decision and showed Saban a film of Georgia Southern running the Triple Option and less than an hour afterwards Saban was in his Athletic Director's office cancelling that against Georgia Southern.  

I'm not against the Flexbone, Wishbone, Wing-T, Veer, etc. There are many teams that have won alot of games. However, very few teams in this state have won championships at the high levels running exclusively those formations, even Oakland couldn't do it with all the talent they have. 

Oakland rules over their region like Maryville bc they both possess better coaching on their staff than the rest of the regions put. Quarles left Maryville and they haven't missed a beat. Oakland wouldn't either if they promoted internally.

Option offenses are a nightmare to deal with, but they largely exist to overcome a gap in talent. Paul Johnson never won a ACC title if I remember correctly. 

On 10/4/2020 at 10:03 AM, MidTennFootball said:

Absolutely. Don't think it really mattered what offense they were running bc their defense had their way with Hillsboro if I remember correctly

Sounds like you know a lot about football.  Weren’t you the water boy for OHS when you were in high school?  That has to be you because momma wouldn’t let you play foosball.

Edited by TomLHS