Classification (Schools Enrollment #s Released)

haweanbula

3 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

If Covington is in 3A, then I don’t understand why there is any question about region numbers? TSSAA appears to number from 1 in the East to 8 in the West. Thus, Memphis schools will always be region 8. Since Covington is only a few miles from the Mississippi River, we should always be Region 7. I see no way that geographically Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg (all in counties that border the Mississippi) would ever be Region 6.  

That’s just my opinion.

Yes, I agree with this.

Personally, I would like to see this region: Covington, Dyersburg, Ripley, Haywood, Milan, and Crockett or SG (pretty sure they will move up to 4A)

5 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Yes, I agree with this.

Personally, I would like to see this region: Covington, Dyersburg, Ripley, Haywood, Milan, and Crockett or SG (pretty sure they will move up to 4A)

If Crockett and SGC do go to 4A , it’s possible that Bolivar could go to 6-3A and they could move Bolton to 7-3A with us. Nine schools in 8-3A looks like too many to me.

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

If Covington is in 3A, then I don’t understand why there is any question about region numbers? TSSAA appears to number from 1 in the East to 8 in the West. Thus, Memphis schools will always be region 8. Since Covington is only a few miles from the Mississippi River, we should always be Region 7. I see no way that geographically Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg (all in counties that border the Mississippi) would ever be Region 6.  

That’s just my opinion.

If Covington goes to 4A, then they’ll be in Region 7. But if Covington stays in 3A, then what region will Fayette-Ware be in?  You can’t put Fayette-Ware in the same region with Hardin County, and be in Region 6. But you have South Gibson in potentially region 7. Fayette-Ware will potentially get screwed whether if they’re in Region 6 (further drive for playoffs) or in Region 7 (potential drive to Obion Central.

I hope that make sense. 

The Commercial Appeal has published their take on the new 2021 classifications:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/10/13/tssaa-football-tennessean-projected-high-school-regions-starting-2021/5964839002/

Here are their 4A and 3A regions. I am assuming that they have done the research to nail this:

Class 4A

REGION 1

Elizabethton, Grainger, Greeneville, Seymour, Sullivan East, Volunteer

REGION 2

Anderson Co., Carter, Fulton, Gibbs, Scott, South-Doyle

REGION 3

Chattanooga Central, East Hamilton, East Ridge, Hixson, Red Bank, Sequoyah, Soddy-Daisy

REGION 4

Cumberland Co., DeKalb Co., Livingston Acad., Macon Co., Stone Memorial, Upperman

REGION 5

Creek Wood, Glencliff, Greenbrier, Hillwood, Lawrence Co., Marshall Co., Montgomery Central, Tullahoma

REGION 6

Crockett Co., Jackson North Side, Jackson South Side, Liberty, Obion Co., South Gibson

REGION 7

Chester Co., Hardin Co., Lexington, McNairy Central

REGION 8

Craigmont, Fayette-Ware, Kirby, Melrose, Millington, Ridgeway

CLASS 3A

REGION 1

Claiborne County, Chuckey-Doak, Johnson County, Unicoi County, Union County, West Greene

REGION 2

Alcoa, Austin-East, Gatlinburg-Pitman, Kingston, Northview Academy, Pigeon Forge

REGION 3

Brainerd, Loudon, McMinn Central, Signal Mountain, Sweetwater

REGION 4

Cannon County, Community, Grundy County, Sequatchie County, Smith County

REGION 5

East Nashville, Giles County, Maplewood, Pearl-Cohn, Stratford, White House, White House Heritage

REGION 6

Cheatham Co., Fairview, Stewart County, Sycamore, Waverly

REGION 7

Bolivar, Covington, Dyersburg, Haywood, Milan, Ripley

REGION 8

Bolton, Douglass, Hamilton, Memphis Business Academy, Memphis East, Raleigh-Egypt, Sheffield, Trezevant, Wooddale

• Like 1

My only comment on the CA classifications is that Region 8-3A has 9 schools. It might seem prudent to move Bolton to Region 7-3A since they are the only Shelby County school not in the Memphis city limits, and Bolton is pretty close to Covington, as the crow flies. Google maps says 19 miles from Covington High to Bolton High.

Edited by CHARGERFAN