Betsy vs Greeneville

BetsyCyclones16

36 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Guys we're sidestepping all around the question.... what I'm wondering is, if Ballard had never left would this team be able to compete against Betsy?

Imo GREENEVILLE doesn’t lose last year against Betsy. This year would be different with the youth we have. But the talent is there at key positions 

1 hour ago, B-Ball Fan said:

That's a great post Swipes.  I've always felt that McCurry would have been extremely successful if he had stayed. Unfortunately, we'll never know.  He gets too little credit for the long run of GHS success.

If you don't mind, what was the difference of opinion regarding offensive philosophy?

McCurry would have been extremely successful if he would have stayed at Greeneville. McCurry was doing anything he could to get the program on top with new weights, new football equipment, Jersey's, Etc. but  wasn't the best with talking to administration at central office lol.  When your response to the School board director is "I don't answer to you when private donors are the ones getting us the new equipment" isn't going to rub someone right who has raised their kids in Greene Co their entire life and your the new guy in town lol.  He would have done anything for the program and respected him as a coach because he got in your grill but would fight for you tooth and nail.  He changed the philosophy of being a hammer not a nail as he liked to put it and didn't care who your mom or dad was when it came to playing the best player.  That's why him and Ballard where good with each other because he had total control off the D and he let Ballard have complete control of the offense that Greeneville has ran since 2007.  McCurry went on to Coach in NC and is now an Assistant Principal and AD for AC Reynolds in Asheville, NC the School he came from and had won state championships at in 4a in NC.  His oldest just signed to play at ETSU.

The difference of opinions  was Ballard wanted to move to the Spread instead the I formation and Seller still wanted to call plays even though Ballard was the OC.  We moved to the 2 back spread in 06 and then 07 when Ballard came back it was mostly 1 back spread and sometimes 2 back spread depending on who we played that week.  

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Guys we're sidestepping all around the question.... what I'm wondering is, if Ballard had never left would this team be able to compete against Betsy?

This year I would say no.  Betsy has the better Jimmy's and Joe's this year IMO.  Last year I think Ballard would have made a difference since both games where close and Greeneville actually had the lead in both those games.  Graduating 3 seniors that went on to sign D1 scholarships off last years team when most had started since their Freshman or Sophomore years hurts.  Like it's been stated before Greeneville is super young and raw with Talent but it's refining that talent and getting stronger that needs to happen.  There are a total of 9 Seniors on this team which is super low for Greeneville

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

McCurry would have been extremely successful if he would have stayed at Greeneville. McCurry was doing anything he could to get the program on top with new weights, new football equipment, Jersey's, Etc. but  wasn't the best with talking to administration at central office lol.  When your response to the School board director is "I don't answer to you when private donors are the ones getting us the new equipment" isn't going to rub someone right who has raised their kids in Greene Co their entire life and your the new guy in town lol.  He would have done anything for the program and respected him as a coach because he got in your grill but would fight for you tooth and nail.  He changed the philosophy of being a hammer not a nail as he liked to put it and didn't care who your mom or dad was when it came to playing the best player.  That's why him and Ballard where good with each other because he had total control off the D and he let Ballard have complete control of the offense that Greeneville has ran since 2007.  McCurry went on to Coach in NC and is now an Assistant Principal and AD for AC Reynolds in Asheville, NC the School he came from and had won state championships at in 4a in NC.  His oldest just signed to play at ETSU.

The difference of opinions  was Ballard wanted to move to the Spread instead the I formation and Seller still wanted to call plays even though Ballard was the OC.  We moved to the 2 back spread in 06 and then 07 when Ballard came back it was mostly 1 back spread and sometimes 2 back spread depending on who we played that week.  

Great post as always.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swipes said:

Thanks for the insight.  

1 hour ago, Tab said:

I am an Elizabethton fan and first game last year i think Greeneville's coach blew game. The 2nd game Elizabethton dominated after the 1st quarter. If Greeneville wins 1st game they get 2nd game at home and who knows then.

Yea that loss hurt them pretty bad. They had to go on the road to Anderson County and injuries racked up that game which carried over to the Betsy game with 2 especially. Gudger and Everhart. 

This stuff always goes in cycle's with these two school's. And believe it or not what happens at the middle school level seems to be a good indicator what will happen at the high school level. These kid's that are playing now beat the break's off Greeneville at the middle school. Our good class of kid's that won  the two back to back State's won when they were there. Greeneville is Better at the middle school level right now. The 7th graders are a special Group and there is some talent in the 8th grade class. Greeneville Won the High School JV Game tonight 35- 0 and the QB that throwed 4 Touchdowns and ran for 1 is 3rd string on Varsity. He is behind the other Freshman on varsity who is 2nd string

Edited by Greendevil87