Class 6A Playoffs Round 1 -- Cleveland at D-B

TribalEmpire

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Guaranteed that DB will not Clark this game....

I like how you are thinking, but the coaches and the young men must decide if they want to be here.  We must execute in all phases and take it one game at a time.  DB is better than they believe, they just have to believe.  We are talking about 15 to 18 year old young men, they are emotional, egotistical and most importantly very susceptible to their environment.  The coaches and players need more than anything to execute and believe.  If we do that and not look ahead we should be successful.  The bone headed mistakes need to be minimalized.  We are 11 games in and have no excuse for stupid penalties or not being in positions to make plays.  If we are in position, then the boy's need to make plays and we have the team to do that.  The question is, will we!

I saw DB play live this year for the first time against Alcoa, and they really didn't play that badly.   There were not many penalties like I was expecting to see, no turnovers, etc.    The line had good run blocking but the pass blocking was horrible, the DB QB rarely had time to set and throw, Alcoa's guys were in the backfield in the blink of an eye.    Of course DB will not see another defense like Alcoa so I wouldn't worry too much about that.     The other glaring weakness has been beat to death, but the defensive secondary is clueless, fortunately Alcoa's QB was not an accurate passer or else they would have put 50 on the scoreboard because the receivers were open on every play all night long, he just could not get the ball to the receiver.     Alcoa also had some questionable play calling, one I remember was 3rd and < a yard and they tossed a pass towards the end zone.... the guy was open but the QB overthrew him.    Then the next play they went for it and turned the ball back to DB on downs.     If DB ends up facing a team who can both throw and catch then they are in serious trouble.     Best strategy is to make long drives, grind it out on the ground, and match the other team score for score.

8 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I saw DB play live this year for the first time against Alcoa, and they really didn't play that badly.   There were not many penalties like I was expecting to see, no turnovers, etc.    The line had good run blocking but the pass blocking was horrible, the DB QB rarely had time to set and throw, Alcoa's guys were in the backfield in the blink of an eye.    Of course DB will not see another defense like Alcoa so I wouldn't worry too much about that.     The other glaring weakness has been beat to death, but the defensive secondary is clueless, fortunately Alcoa's QB was not an accurate passer or else they would have put 50 on the scoreboard because the receivers were open on every play all night long, he just could not get the ball to the receiver.     Alcoa also had some questionable play calling, one I remember was 3rd and < a yard and they tossed a pass towards the end zone.... the guy was open but the QB overthrew him.    Then the next play they went for it and turned the ball back to DB on downs.     If DB ends up facing a team who can both throw and catch then they are in serious trouble.     Best strategy is to make long drives, grind it out on the ground, and match the other team score for score.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times over the years that I thought DB had finally turned the corner on correcting the penalty problem. There's four things that's a 100% guarantee in Kingsport, Death, Taxes, Penalties, and a Horrible Secondary. 

6 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times over the years that I thought DB had finally turned the corner on correcting the penalty problem. There's four things that's a 100% guarantee in Kingsport, Death, Taxes, Penalties, and a Horrible Secondary. 

I hear ya....   Boone's signature play is when the other team is in a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 then it is guaranteed that we will jump and give them a free 1st down.     In last year's 2nd round against South Doyle we were playing them fairly evenly but gave up several free 1st downs, even though the coaches and fans are screaming "DON'T  JUMP!!!"   or  "WATCH THE ?!?@#$%  BALL!!!"

16 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I hear ya....   Boone's signature play is when the other team is in a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 then it is guaranteed that we will jump and give them a free 1st down.     In last year's 2nd round against South Doyle we were playing them fairly evenly but gave up several free 1st downs, even though the coaches and fans are screaming "DON'T  JUMP!!!"   or  "WATCH THE ?!?@#$%  BALL!!!"

I thought it was kicking directly to the good return man?

1 hour ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

I thought it was kicking directly to the good return man?

Yeah, that too.... my other post was about Boone's signature penalty play.     This Friday our first kick will be directly to South Doyle's #7 and we will get burned, go ahead and mark it down.    BTW, nothing against our kickers, they put the ball where they are told to kick it.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:56 AM, blazer1set said:

fortunately Alcoa's QB was not an accurate passer or else they would have put 50 on the scoreboard....

I guess we should amend this slightly, it is possible the receivers were running the wrong routes every time, i.e., QB throws left and the receiver was supposed to break right....