Class 6A Playoffs Sweet 16 -- McMinn County at D-B

TribalEmpire

11 minutes ago, gecko said:

DB canceled based on their opinion and feelings if that is the case. McMinn followed protocol to play and DB refused. McMinn @ Maryville next week then. 

If this kid was tested on tuesday and mcminn co didnt notify and he wasnt even on quarantine for a week then they did everything BUT follow protocol. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

So if this is true... McMinn had a player that tested positive and was in contact with most of his teammates but McMinn didn't think that would pose a danger to his teammates or to the DB players. Got it.

Exactly. They cant just say "we feel like its okay"

• Like 1

Just now, Swipes said:

That begs the question was it a false positive like Saban had since the 2nd test was negative?  Was it antibodies in his system? ( Which can stay in your system for months after contracting it to help fight from contracting it again).  When did such player if positive for antibodies actually have it?  Leaves a lot go when things happened and if it was a false positive or not

Great questions a college or NFL team could get straight.  Nothing the TSSAA hoped would happen to anyone in high school.  As that story goes, it sounds like an original test was positive and a rapid test was negative, I've heard the opposite also happens where the rapid is negative then the 3 day test will be positive.  

TSSAA didn't plan for someone to come up with something to make sense.  The only rule I can think of is, you have a positve so McMinn should have been on quarantine, instead you have DB in the position of not knowing the exact full story 1 hour before game time.  This is a Wednesday conversation happening at 6 PM on a Friday.

10 minutes ago, tj3775 said:

As McMinn was warming up, we walked by them (as we usally sit behind the goalpost). One of their coaches was talking to someone (could have been one of the players parents) and he said this to them and us. 

Earlier in the week, a starting player for McMinn tested positive on Tuesday. The player was sent home pending tests. This was a send out test and it took till yesterday to get results (positive). His parents took him to the doctor and he was given the rapid test but it was in the evening and they didnt get the results till today. The player did NOT travel with the team. The second test was negative but it showed antibodies present so if the player had it, he would have been asymptomatic. But because he was one of their good players, he would have been in contact with most of the team. McMinn felt that this did not pose a danger to DB nor McMinn however DB didn't feel the same way. They (DB) felt that McMinn should forfeit and McMinn said no, they came to play. 

Here is what I want to understand. Did mcminn County consult with their health department and ask their opinion if the positive tested player posed a threat to anyone on their team or DB's team. That doesn't sound like a decision that a coach could make without someone with higher authority to make. I guess it just seems like their should be protocol to follow in this situation. I think DB was in a similar situation with Daniel Boone this year and the health department did proper contact tracing and quarantine and were cleared to play. I just hate it for the seniors if this is how it ends for either team. If TSSAA made this decision then how do you fix this when its all said and done.

12 minutes ago, gecko said:

DB canceled based on their opinion and feelings if that is the case. McMinn followed protocol to play and DB refused. McMinn @ Maryville next week then. 

Except, DB didn't cancel. There was a conference call between the Sullivan County Health Department, The State Health Board and the TSSAA. After the conference call the Sullivan County Health Department canceled the game. Of course I didn't set in on the call but I would imagine all agreed to cancel the game. I don't think you penalize DB for that. But either way it's a screwed up mess. I say test everybody again tomorrow and play the game Sunday. Easy enough.

5 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Great questions a college or NFL team could get straight.  Nothing the TSSAA hoped would happen to anyone in high school.  As that story goes, it sounds like an original test was positive and a rapid test was negative, I've heard the opposite also happens where the rapid is negative then the 3 day test will be positive.  

TSSAA didn't plan for someone to come up with something to make sense.  The only rule I can think of is, you have a positve so McMinn should have been on quarantine, instead you have DB in the position of not knowing the exact full story 1 hour before game time.  This is a Wednesday conversation happening at 6 PM on a Friday.

The TSSAA doesn't have any "protocols" when it comes to Covid. They (TSSAA) basically told the state "here, go play, and rely on your health officials to determine if you need to play or not." Nick Saban actually had a false positive, which happens a lot. Continuous Covid testing basically confirmed that he had a false positive. Sam Pittman (Arkansas' coach)  has covid now and will miss this weekend's game. Also, the University of Alabama athletic department has way more money than a rural East Tennessee high school. They have the opportunities and luxury to get that done in Tuscaloosa.

1 minute ago, TryNotToSuck said:

The TSSAA doesn't have any "protocols" when it comes to Covid. They (TSSAA) basically told the state "here, go play, and rely on your health officials to determine if you need to play or not." Nick Saban actually had a false positive, which happens a lot. Continuous Covid testing basically confirmed that he had a false positive. Sam Pittman (Arkansas' coach)  has covid now and will miss this weekend's game. Also, the University of Alabama athletic department has way more money than a rural East Tennessee high school. They have the opportunities and luxury to get that done in Tuscaloosa.

Every school protocol from the state department of education and the state health department has a 10 day isolation if you are positive and contact tracing and a 14 day quarantine for everyone within 6 feet for 15 minutes in a 24 hour period who was around that person.  That's the rule that should have been followed in McMinn.  Biggest question I have was 1.  If the positive was on Tuesday why was no one informed 2.  Why was there no  quarantining from a health department or school district on Wednesday.  I've been part of this process this year and it happens really fast when schools are involved.  It just seems really bad that a school had this information and didn't act on it.  

15 minutes ago, timcraw said:

If this kid was tested on tuesday and mcminn co didnt notify and he wasnt even on quarantine for a week then they did everything BUT follow protocol. 

The protocol is to contact trace for a positive test. Tracing was done and the ones not effected were cleared to play. Not all counties shut down sports teams for one case and some tracers. Some counties do. Like Hamilton Co. There's no way to prove anyone was at risk. You have to go by the coaches word that no one else was effected by the trace. Yes, the coach just like teachers with seating charts can decide contact tracing. Bo said we're good and the officials with no proof to the contrary made a unfortunate decision based on feelings not protocol. Hope they play tomorrow or Monday

Just now, gecko said:

The protocol is to contact trace for a positive test. Tracing was done and the ones not effected were cleared to play. Not all counties shut down sports teams for one case and some tracers. Some counties do. Like Hamilton Co. There's no way to prove anyone was at risk. You have to go by the coaches word that no one else was effected by the trace. Yes, the coach just like teachers with seating charts can decide contact tracing. Bo said we're good and the officials with no proof to the contrary made a unfortunate decision based on feelings not protocol. Hope they play tomorrow or Monday

Ive been looking forward to this game. Im with you. I hope we play it. At this point in time alot of us are just taking shots in the dark because nobody really knows whats going on. Im hoping for a decision asap

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic