Class 6A Playoffs Sweet 16 -- McMinn County at D-B

TribalEmpire

1 hour ago, elhosel said:

The entire school (McMinn Co) was shut down Thursday and Friday by the County School Board for COVID..... how in hades should they have been allowed to play anyway.... if a school is out for weather, they don't play. TSSAA should make a decision no later than tomorrow. 

Not true. McMinn teams play all the time on weather days 

59 minutes ago, tj3775 said:

Sullivan county has its own health department. It really doesn't go by what the Tennessee department of health says. We are one of six counties that have its own health department. I wonder how that weighs into this?

I'm guessing the kid received a negative test and thought "now I can go be with my team." McMinn allowed it based on that paper. However, that is not protocol. Only the dept of health can release you from quarantine. He can't come back until they call. Dumb move if that happened but it's all speculation atm

• Like 1

To all the Maryville fans,be very careful this week .if the TSSAA rules that Mcminn County is winner of the game with DB, you guys have a guaranteed loss headed your way.. Mcminn County has a 6 step program you cant beat. 1 get one of their players to get covid during the week. 2 travel to Maryville. 3 an hour before kickoff call in an anonymous complaint about suspected covid on Mcminn 4 argue that's it's okay to play anyway  5 know Blount County Health Department will have to cancel game and 6 blame Maryville for cancelling game....Game Over Mcminn wins...next up Oakland and start plan again

16 hours ago, tj3775 said:

As McMinn was warming up, we walked by them (as we usally sit behind the goalpost). One of their coaches was talking to someone (could have been one of the players parents) and he said this to them and us. 

Earlier in the week, a starting player for McMinn tested positive on Tuesday. The player was sent home pending tests. This was a send out test and it took till yesterday to get results (positive). His parents took him to the doctor and he was given the rapid test but it was in the evening and they didnt get the results till today. The player did NOT travel with the team. The second test was negative but it showed antibodies present so if the player had it, he would have been asymptomatic. But because he was one of their good players, he would have been in contact with most of the team. McMinn felt that this did not pose a danger to DB nor McMinn however DB didn't feel the same way. They (DB) felt that McMinn should forfeit and McMinn said no, they came to play. 

In this scenario, DB has a right to want to know that the other players in this kids position group were/are being quarantined. That may be the sticking point. Okay the kid who tested positive earlier isn’t with the team, but were the kids he practiced closely with also quarantined as they should be? Its hard when different counties health departments have different rules. I feel like maybe one organization, maybe the state Heath dept should oversee this so uniform decisions can be made. Because If there’s a difference in protocol from one department to the next, does McMinn’s health dept prevail or does DB’s area health department prevail since the contest is being held in Kingsport. For instance when I travel to another state, I have to obey that states laws even if my state laws are different. Is it the same scenario with these kinds of rules from the health dept? Who would have “jurisdiction “ so to speak? 

Edited by Bluegreymom

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

In this scenario, DB has a right to want to know that the other players in this kids position group were/are being quarantined. That may be the sticking point. Okay the kid who tested positive earlier isn’t with the team, but were the kids he practiced closely with also quarantined as they should be? Its hard when different counties health departments have different rules. I feel like maybe one organization, maybe the state Heath dept should oversee this so uniform decisions can be made. Because If there’s a difference in protocol from one department to the next, does McMinn’s health dept prevail or does DB’s area health department prevail since the contest is being held in Kingsport. For instance when I travel to another state, I have to obey that states laws even if my state laws are different. Is it the same scenario with these kinds of rules from the health dept? Who would have “jurisdiction “ so to speak? 

Lol DB also had Covid cases recently. Where is the proof they could be 100% sure McMinn was safe to play the game against them. RIDICULOUS

11 minutes ago, TnBear said:

Lol DB also had Covid cases recently. Where is the proof they could be 100% sure McMinn was safe to play the game against them. RIDICULOUS

I think the issues isn’t whether a team has Covid cases or exposures. To be honest, most teams have had at least exposures. The question is did those teams quarantine appropriately, the kids who were identified as needing to do so. . If so then no problem. The exposed kids quarantine and everyone else plays. The problem arises when some team gets lax or dishonest about who is supposed to be on a 14 day quarantine. So basically I’m saying if either team showed up with kids who met the criteria Of having been exposed to a player with a + test, that’s a problem. I feel like this is the sort of issue the TSSAA is trying to sort through right now. Did one or both teams knowingly show up with kids who should have been at home. I don’t think this going to be about the actual child with the positive test. It clear that kid couldn’t (and sounds like wasn’t trying to) play.  I think it’s going to be more about what McMinn did to take precautions after learning they had a covid positive player (if that turns out to be true). And if DB also had Covid recently and didn’t quarantine appropriately (for example they had their own set of players who should have been in a 14 day quarantine) then its further complicated. Maybe in that scenario nobody advances and the red rebels get another bye. I have no idea. It will be interesting for sure on Monday. 

Edited by Bluegreymom

• CoachT locked this topic