Class 6A Playoffs Sweet 16 -- McMinn County at D-B

TribalEmpire

For those interested, there’s a great breakdown of protocol by a player mom who went through this with her son a few weeks ago on the DB football Facebook page.  It seems to boil down to tracing, following protocol and then being able to provide documentation to SCHD, Tssaa, etc., in those critical moments prior to scheduled kickoff.  Regardless of whether player was actually pos or neg, the health dept had to check all the boxes on protocol before they would allow game.  Apparently info provided wasn’t enough to satisfy.  
As a counterpoint, when the Sci Hill game was played, they had followed procedure and had provided everything necessary ahead of time to allow game to be approved.  So to summarize, McMinn may be completely healthy, but when players get tested you’ve got to show your work on scratch paper or may not get credit.

4 minutes ago, Gradfan56 said:

For those interested, there’s a great breakdown of protocol by a player mom who went through this with her son a few weeks ago on the DB football Facebook page.  It seems to boil down to tracing, following protocol and then being able to provide documentation to SCHD, Tssaa, etc., in those critical moments prior to scheduled kickoff.  Regardless of whether player was actually pos or neg, the health dept had to check all the boxes on protocol before they would allow game.  Apparently info provided wasn’t enough to satisfy.  
As a counterpoint, when the Sci Hill game was played, they had followed procedure and had provided everything necessary ahead of time to allow game to be approved.  So to summarize, McMinn may be completely healthy, but when players get tested you’ve got to show your work on scratch paper or may not get credit.

Interesting,  given that the SCDH representative wouldn't  even look at the documents presented ito them according to witnesses who were on the field. 

And, again. I don't fault DB here.  The issue seems to have been  an overreacting County health department official.  

22 minutes ago, HTV said:

Interesting,  given that the SCDH representative wouldn't  even look at the documents presented ito them according to witnesses who were on the field. 

And, again. I don't fault DB here.  The issue seems to have been  an overreacting County health department official.  

Seems odd they would even have documents when McMinn's coach said they found out about the positive test on the way up to the game, but who knows. Lots of non-factual stuff flying around I'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tribal said:

Seems odd they would even have documents when McMinn's coach said they found out about the positive test on the way up to the game, but who knows. Lots of non-factual stuff flying around I'm sure. 

From what I heard the reason they had documents was from the rapid test that was completed before the lab results came back on the other, which were the phone call. Appears they were trying to have the son play and use the rapid test results when the lab results came back positive. Just my opinion from rumors I have heard on the situation. 

8 hours ago, strongx said:

If I understand correctly:

1) a player carrying the virus was tested on Tuesday

2) he was away from the other players on Wed/Thursday 

3) he took a rapid test Thursday or Friday which supposedly was negative so he went to the game Friday night with his parents

4)  the Tues test came back positive on the way to Kingsport 

5) McMinn coaches/admin did no contact tracing as the kid was home wed/thurs

So...the question appears to be if other students/players he contacted on Mon/Tues should have been quarantined? That seems like an easy question to answer except for the fact the guidance to follow has too many loopholes and used differently by different systems.
To complicate things, I think the original CDC guidance has shifted as the spread has gotten worse which explains these recent college game impacts. I think the mackmen coaches did what most other coaches have done all year and has allowed the season to be played. 
But they got called out by a public health agency for not being as protective “as they should”. Tough position for t$$aa, but an easy call IMO.

This is exactly what I think 

54 minutes ago, HTV said:

I guess we will know tomorrow, I hate it for either side.   A loss seems unfair, a win seems hollow.

2 minutes ago, Utvols21141 said:

From what I heard the reason they had documents was from the rapid test that was completed before the lab results came back on the other, which were the phone call. Appears they were trying to have the son play and use the rapid test results when the lab results came back positive. Just my opinion from rumors I have heard on the situation. 

WRONG!

I feel like coming to the game with a negative rapid test on Thursday or Friday is just not sufficient to void out  positive send away test taken a couple days before  There are known instances of false positives and false negatives out there sure, but it also pretty accepted that the send away lab test is the gold standard for Covid testing and  with the noted exception of the test’s own manufacturer, the rapid test is deemed not as reliable especially when taken early in the virus’ course. 
Even if you chalk it up to one positive and one negative test, and give them both equal weight, it would be impossible to know which was accurate and which was incorrect so it would make sense to me that from a safety perspective, unfortunately you either go ahead with the quarantine or restest again nd demonstrate proof of multiple negatives which there just wasn’t time for.

All this to say I don’t see how McMinn advances in this. I think either DB advances or it’s a no contest and Maryville flyers another bye which then creates another unfair advantage scenario it’s self 

Edited by Bluegreymom

My guess is either way it goes, TSSAA has a way out.  They can say the decision was out of their hands. Too late to play a make-up game.  Since they know that Maryville won, after the McMinn vs. DB game had been called off.  They just say, “Well, McMinn lost to Maryville already, while don’t we just let DB have a shot at beating the Rebs?” 

• CoachT locked this topic