Class 6A Playoffs Sweet 16 -- McMinn County at D-B

TribalEmpire

Comment from McMinn County coach Bo Cagle on the situation at Dobyns-Bennett: "We got positive confirmation on the way up there that we had a COVID case on the team. Now the thing about it was, the COVID case was not with the team." (1/2)"So we thought everything would be all right once we got the word, and then they (D-B) got I guess the same call about us having one, and the Sullivan County Health Department would not allow the game to be played." (2/2)

Also, Cagle noted that McMinn did not practice Wednesday, and the player who tested positive did not practice with the team Thursday.

Also, from TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress: "A decision will not be made until we get all the facts. The schools will submit their side on Monday." "Anything is possible but playing the game next week is highly unlikely."

https://mobile.twitter.com/DPAGabeGarcia/status/1327715230680555521

3 hours ago, AmericanSniper said:

No way McMinn gets a favorable ruling on Monday. And no way that I can see that DB can be held responsible.

If I’m in DB shoes how do they not advance if they don’t let them play the game. 

48 hrs from your positive test you start contact tracing. McMinn didn't practice Wednesday and kid wasn't there Thursday so McMinn is clear to play. 

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

Phone calls are not made unless you are tested or contact traced.  The answer to all of this speculation goes back to why did the kid get tested.

Most likely because he was sent home Tuesday due to a contact trace and wanted to test to find out

• Upvote 1

If kid wasn’t there, why? You don’t normally just miss practice any week let alone a playoff week. If he missed because he was quarantined due to having been contact traced that’s a way different set of circumstances then he missed because he had an orthodontist appointment. How many reasons do you think there are for a kid to jot be practicing with the team in a playoff week?

sounds more and more like McMinn tried to split hairs and and play the “well technically” type card and maybe it blew up on them. Speculation of course. I guess we will learn more Monday. But each time someone from MCMinn issues a statement or a comment, there seems to be so many holes in the story and details skipped over. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gecko said:

Comment from McMinn County coach Bo Cagle on the situation at Dobyns-Bennett: "We got positive confirmation on the way up there that we had a COVID case on the team. Now the thing about it was, the COVID case was not with the team." (1/2)"So we thought everything would be all right once we got the word, and then they (D-B) got I guess the same call about us having one, and the Sullivan County Health Department would not allow the game to be played." (2/2)

Also, Cagle noted that McMinn did not practice Wednesday, and the player who tested positive did not practice with the team Thursday.

Also, from TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress: "A decision will not be made until we get all the facts. The schools will submit their side on Monday." "Anything is possible but playing the game next week is highly unlikely."

So still, how do you penalize DB for that? The TSSAA has a big mess on their hands. There's no way to fix this fairly. 

23 minutes ago, gecko said:

I just read this again and happen to notice that what the coach is saying here does not jive with what we were told about the "Covid player" in some previous post here. Either there is more than one player that tested positive or their not keeping their story straight. Anybody else notice this? Sounds like the anonymous call wasn't so anonymous after all.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I just read this again and happen to notice that what the coach is saying here does not jive with what we were told about the "Covid player" in some previous post here. Either there is more than one player that tested positive or their not keeping their story straight. Anybody else notice this? Sounds like the anonymous call wasn't so anonymous after all.

Yep!

• CoachT locked this topic