Playoffs - Round Two - Oak Ridge vs Rhea County

CardinalGrey

Well it was a good win for Oak Ridge. For Rhea the future looks bright with so many guys coming back and next years freshman class is going to be a good one too. Plus with the new regions next year I look for some good regular season football and great match ups in the post season. Good year Eagles. Thank you seniors!

1 minute ago, ORcats said:

I couldn't go, but listened instead on the radio.  Despite the score, it felt like a nail-biter all the way through.  Congrats to the Wildcats, and especially the defense, who I think had one of their best games.  

It really was! Rhea County's defense played their hearts out all game, but couldn't overcome the offensive woes we've seen since the Marion County game. 28 points in three games after almost putting that many up in a quarter on Karns didn't bode well, and it is not a shock we lost 2 out of our last three. Kudos to Oak Ridge on holding tight on defense and making the plays they needed to to win on offense. Jackson is a stand up kid and darn good ball player, and I'll be cheering for the 'Cats to go all the way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

345 yards for OR 169 for Rhea. Rhea had their chances to beat us, or at least get the upper hand in the 1st half. They lived on the 40 and up on our side of the field the whole half, but our D, which has been really steady all year, held their ground. You gotta come away with points there if you’re RC, but you have to give credit to our D. But yeah, RC lost that game after not scoring a point all first half with unbelievable field position the whole time. Great win for the Cats. Thanks for the hospitality on here AND during the game RC fans.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NoleNation3 said:

Oak Ridge needs a shut out to win.

Great job on defense.  I wonder when the last time RC was shut out on Offense.  Too many dumb penalties.  Gotta clean that up.  Good road trip.  Good win.  Hats off to RC team and fans. Very Gracious. The refs were to be expected, Awful. lol

Edited by oridgecat
  • Upvote 1

Great win for the Cats.Thankfully we decided to pass in 2nd half and got the offense rolling.I hope our coaches get it by now that we cant run the ball vs good defenses and need to get passing game going early to have a chance.The defense has played great all yr minus 1 game and adds another shutout to the books.I think that is 4 out of 11 games.Big credit to Minor on his 2nd half adjustments.Our DBs looked like the Titans in 1st half with that huge cushion but at least Minor made the changes needed.Rhea Co has a really good freshman QB that needs to come to Oak Ridge and throw to our great freshman WR.Fun night and good luck to Rhea Co in the future

2 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Great job on defense.  I wonder when the last time RC was shut out on Offense.  Too many dumb penalties.  Gotta clean that up.  Good road trip.  Good win.  Hats off to RC team and fans. Very Gracious. The refs were to be expected, Awful. lol

Hopefully those refs will not be near West next week.

• Like 1

Honestly, I thought this game could’ve been worse, possibly 30-0 or so. We got behind their secondary all night long, but just couldn’t connect on a long one. Also, when you’re down on the 1-2 yard line, you HAVE GOT to punch it in. We can’t do that against a team like West and expect to win, or even be in the game for that matter. Credit to Rhea D for stepping up there, but you gotta get that one over the GL, especially when you have a guy like #1 running the ball. Rhea plays really hard, and I didn’t expect nothing less. Their fans should be proud, which I’m sure they are. They will be a tough out the next few seasons.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Honestly, I thought this game could’ve been worse, possibly 30-0 or so. We got behind their secondary all night long, but just couldn’t connect on a long one. Also, when you’re down on the 1-2 yard line, you HAVE GOT to punch it in. We can’t do that against a team like West and expect to win, or even be in the game for that matter. Credit to Rhea D for stepping up there, but you gotta get that one over the GL, especially when you have a guy like #1 running the ball. Rhea plays really hard, and I didn’t expect nothing less. Their fans should be proud, which I’m sure they are. They will be a tough out the next few seasons.

Your right and we have to quit stalling out when we pass the 30.I think our problems running the ball is most of problem but we gotta figure something out.Its been a problem all year.I swear I think 14 has trouble throwing across middle unless its deep because of his size.I would love to see 14 run or move out of the pocket.I would pay the coaches to run wildcat.On short yardage I think Jackson would be amazing out of Wildcat.Even others like Stewart,Taylor or Turner.We refuse to run wildcat for some reason and Ive seen it work great in high school

9 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Your right and we have to quit stalling out when we pass the 30.I think our problems running the ball is most of problem but we gotta figure something out.Its been a problem all year.I swear I think 14 has trouble throwing across middle unless its deep because of his size.I would love to see 14 run or move out of the pocket.I would pay the coaches to run wildcat.On short yardage I think Jackson would be amazing out of Wildcat.Even others like Stewart,Taylor or Turner.We refuse to run wildcat for some reason and Ive seen it work great in high school

I agree on the Wildcat. I always wanted us to run that more back when we had Tee, but we hardly ever did, even then. I remember him doing it once, maybe twice. We had #6 on a quick slant early on in the game and #14 threw it behind him or it probably would’ve been 6. He had nothing but green in front of him. #13 got behind their secondary numerous times, but we just couldn’t connect for a TD. Gotta make those plays against the West’s of the world, and other great teams like them. Oh well, hard to complain with a 23-0 shutout, but it wouldn’t be SS if I didn’t have something to complain about hah.

Edited by SweetScience