Let's talk " West Ridge High School Wolves " Sullivan County / Kingsport

kingindian33

9 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

They don't have to beat Maryville in order to get to Cookeville.    Unfortunately DB/SH have to go thru Maryville.

Well you put Maryville in your post for comparison I guess? Don't know what other reason. I don't really see any DB or SH players transferring to either Betsy or Greeneville just to play on a state championship team. I know DB had a player that went to Elizabethton last year but that was because of family ties and to get more playing time. 

27 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Well you put Maryville in your post for comparison I guess? Don't know what other reason. I don't really see any DB or SH players transferring to either Betsy or Greeneville just to play on a state championship team. I know DB had a player that went to Elizabethton last year but that was because of family ties and to get more playing time. 

Here was my original post with highlights, hopefully that makes it more clear:

Any NET student wanting to play for a team with state title hopes and is thinking of transferring to another NET high school might consider this:

The last time Science Hill beat Maryville was 1940 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Science Hill&Team1=Maryville)

The last time DB beat Maryville was 1945 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Dobyns-Bennett&Team1=Maryville)

So as you pointed out, that leaves Elizabethton or Greeneville.            Let the migrations begin.......

4 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Any NET student wanting to play for a team with state title hopes and is thinking of transferring to another NET high school might consider this:

The last time Science Hill beat Maryville was 1940 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Science Hill&Team1=Maryville)

The last time DB beat Maryville was 1945 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Dobyns-Bennett&Team1=Maryville)

So as you pointed out, that leaves Elizabethton or Greeneville.            Let the migrations begin.......

It seems like they ought to just transfer to Maryville. 

• 3 weeks later...

It makes me feel really old hearing the school that replaced Ketron is now being replaced because I played against the Wildcats when I was in high school in the playoffs up there in a mud hole and it snowed most of the game. Not being from that area I'm curious why they are replacing these schools. I glanced over all of those schools records and it looks as if Sullivan South was the strongest school over the past 20 years in football. I remember seeing them play Maryville back when they had the great quarterback that went to Wisconsin, that kid was something else, one of those famous UT fumbled opportunities. Maryville has played Ketron twice in the playoffs and they beat the tar out of us the first time we played them but we won my year. Not sure which one of those schools Ketron went into, seems like Sullivan North but not sure. I see North went 240-215 over 41 years and South was 282-177 in their 41 years. The Central team must have lots of problems to be 39-163 over the past twenty years. Just hope that one isn't a rotten apple that could mess up the whole basket because it seems to be the largest school in the mix of those three schools.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2021 at 7:15 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

It makes me feel really old hearing the school that replaced Ketron is now being replaced because I played against the Wildcats when I was in high school in the playoffs up there in a mud hole and it snowed most of the game. Not being from that area I'm curious why they are replacing these schools. I glanced over all of those schools records and it looks as if Sullivan South was the strongest school over the past 20 years in football. I remember seeing them play Maryville back when they had the great quarterback that went to Wisconsin, that kid was something else, one of those famous UT fumbled opportunities. Maryville has played Ketron twice in the playoffs and they beat the tar out of us the first time we played them but we won my year. Not sure which one of those schools Ketron went into, seems like Sullivan North but not sure. I see North went 240-215 over 41 years and South was 282-177 in their 41 years. The Central team must have lots of problems to be 39-163 over the past twenty years. Just hope that one isn't a rotten apple that could mess up the whole basket because it seems to be the largest school in the mix of those three schools.

Ketron and Lynn View rolled into the new Sullivan North in 1980,

Sullivan West and part of Sullivan Central rolled into Sullivan South in 1980.

As to WHY they are building a new school, I have no idea of the real reason, but most things in life can be answered by the old adage Follow the Money....   not sure what that means in the case of West Ridge but I suspect if you could dig deep enough there would be an answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Ketron and Lynn View rolled into the new Sullivan North in 1980,

Sullivan West and part of Sullivan Central rolled into Sullivan South in 1980.

As to WHY they are building a new school, I have no idea of the real reason, but most things in life can be answered by the old adage Follow the Money....   not sure what that means in the case of West Ridge but I suspect if you could dig deep enough there would be an answer.

Thanks Blazer. I ask because I saw Sullivan North had right at 500 enrollment on Wikipedia and Lynn View and Ketron were both 2A schools in the old three class system from back then. I can still remember leaving Maryville on the bus that day and it must of been 60 here because I didn't even take a shirt to wear under my shoulder pads and we get up there and it's snowing and the field was a pig pin plus we wore a mesh type jersey and I thought I was going to die from Hypothermia. I felt like those people that fell into the water off of the Titanic.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Thanks Blazer. I ask because I saw Sullivan North had right at 500 enrollment on Wikipedia and Lynn View and Ketron were both 2A schools in the old three class system from back then. I can still remember leaving Maryville on the bus that day and it must of been 60 here because I didn't even take a shirt to wear under my shoulder pads and we get up there and it's snowing and the field was a pig pin plus we wore a mesh type jersey and I thought I was going to die from Hypothermia. I felt like those people that fell into the water off of the Titanic.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:42 PM, blazer1set said:

The last NET (Upper East Tennessee) team to beat MHS was Ketron in 1972. 

1972 Ketron 26 Maryville 0

1958 Tennessee 19 Maryville 0

1952 Elizabethton 24 Maryville 6

1950 Greeneville 13 Maryville 13 TIE

1945 Kingsport 32 Maryville 7

1940 Johnson City 33 Maryville 0

1936 Erwin 26 Maryville 6

The key seems to be holding Maryville to 7 or under.

NOTE: Mo-West won  17-14 in 2003 but I don't count them as NET. 

Edited by Red Rebels

18 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

The last NET (Upper East Tennessee) team to beat MHS was Ketron in 1972. 

1972 Ketron 26 Maryville 0

1958 Tennessee 19 Maryville 0

1952 Elizabethton 24 Maryville 6

1950 Greeneville 13 Maryville 13 TIE

1945 Kingsport 32 Maryville 7 

1936 Erwin 26 Maryville 6

The key seems to be holding Maryville to 7 or under.

NOTE: Mo-West won  17-14 in 2003 but I don't count them as NET. 

1940 Johnson City 33 Maryville 0

That is some great info, it seems like Maryville loses every time the opponent scores more points, although I admit that may be an anecdotal analysis......

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This is interesting.....   less than 5 miles south of the new West Ridge there will be a new private HS opening 2023, Lakeway Christian.     It is supposed to be similar to the school in White Pine.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/lakeway-christian-schools-to-break-ground-on-new-campus-in-washington-county-tenn-this-spring/

They should save their money. Our new one party government is going to put an end to private schools before 2023 gets here.

12 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This is interesting.....   less than 5 miles south of the new West Ridge there will be a new private HS opening 2023, Lakeway Christian.     It is supposed to be similar to the school in White Pine.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/lakeway-christian-schools-to-break-ground-on-new-campus-in-washington-county-tenn-this-spring/

Was wondering the same thing. I wonder what, if any, issues it might create for all the tri-cities high schools.

Edited by 83SouthRebel

On 1/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

In 1980 with the completion of North and South, there were 3 high schools in Kingsport with DB of course being the lone city school and North and South county schools. All 3 high schools were within 10 minutes of each other. The consolidation created a very unique and automatic rivalry in Kingsport. In my opinion, and I admit I am biased because I was in the 3rd graduating class from South, this was an awesome time for Kingsport area sports. Gyms and football stadiums as well as baseball stadiums were filled to the max. North and DB were powerhouse basketball programs. South started out strong in football and baseball. North also fielded 2 AAA baseball championship teams and South 1 in the 80's. Unfortunately an aging population and unchecked annexation by Kingsport in the late 80's was the beginning to the end for North high as Kingsport annexed all of Lynn Garden removing 1/2 of North's enrollment and it was down hill from there. Colonial Heights fought annexation and won a moratorium until 2010. When that expired, Kingsport annexed most of South's enrollment area in Colonial Heights and Rock Springs. The county school system was forced to operate 2 buildings built to house 1600 students each and were down to 500 at North and less than 900 at South. The county ultimately ended up moving Ketron middle into the North high building to take advantage of that extra space and closed 3 elementary schools in Bloomingdale making Ketron the lone elementary for the Bloomingdale area. Ironically in the late 70's when consolidation was being floated around, the first plan was to build 1 high school on the perimeter of Kingsport that was to combine, Lynn View, Ketron and Sullivan West instead they went with the 2 school option. I don't know if West Ridge was the right answer but it will be here soon none the less. What kind of sports teams West Ridge will field is of course yet to be determined. I know South football benefited from Central being down. The key is if athletes stay in zone. DB is closer to a lot of North and South students than West Ridge will be but they would have to pay tuition. Time will tell of course.

Edited by 83SouthRebel