Davidson vs USJ, Battle of the Ursidae vol. 4

Bellsburg2

7 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Not sure why you’d have a chip on your shoulder about how another team would be speculated in regards as to how they’d fair in another classification. 

You said they’d be a power in D2 AA the last two years. MM said they’d finish above a really good Goodpasture team that only lost to LA and CPA.  Sounds like a compliment. 

2019 DA lost to FRA 30-6 who finished 3rd in the middle region, right?  DA has not played a tough non-region schedule that would help support your view.

Nobody is going to take away what DA has done over the last four years.  It has been impressive.

You knew when you made your statement, someone would disagree.  

No chip on my shoulder. I just said they would have been good in any division.  We are working on opinions here and I said they would have had a chance. 
My main point was when CPA beats them by 30 next year it should not diminish how good they were in 19-2020.  

35 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

True, don’t get me wrong. But got to keep everyone happy, especially in an industry that is dying. 

I understand That. But I also Buy into the fact if it is an elite profession then people will take pride in being apart of it. Don’t get me wrong. I have Reffed in the past and it is tough. But only when I did Not prepare properly. Heck that goes for any profession. I have Been so disappointed in the quality of stripes on the field the last few years. 

The DA 18 team had an offense that was prolific.  Could absolutely score on anyone.  However, defense was an afterthought. Offense was that good.  Could run the ball with D1 back or pass with D1 qb.  Some may say one of the best backfields in the state that year.

If anyone has a point of reference between A and AA it would be USJ because we have played both in the last 3 years. We were always very competitive in AA but were in somewhat of a rebuild in our last year before moving down. The argumentative ones on this thread have made such genius accusations as "you guys lost because you got behind and can't throw the ball" which makes perfect sense given that 70% of our offense yesterday was in the air and we had a receiver with 150 yards and 3 TDs. So I guess I won't put much stock in the rest of their opinions.

I don't know the future for Swinea, but he is a fantastic high school RB and he was the best to tote the rock in Cookeville yesterday. The big Brockman kid is a mauler and he can grade a path or plug a hole at any level of HSFB and he'll do it on Saturdays in a couple of years. This DA team would not have beaten the 2018 versions of Lausanne or CPA, but neither would any team in the three matchups yesterday. Some weak spots like special teams might have cost them in a dogfight, but they would have been competitive with either AA finalist. They lose the meat of the team next year and may even be looking for a coach, but to judge this team based on next year's foreseeable struggles is foolish.

As for the USJ/DA match yesterday, it was Deja Vu all over again. The Bruins can go toe to toe with almost anyone for a half, but lack of depth (or lack of use of depth) has come back to bite them in every one of these matchups in the last 2 years. There was no stopping the downhill attack in the second half, but if USJ had avoided a couple of mistakes and built the halftime lead that they should have, then it would have been a battle in the 4th quarter. You might can overcome 4 turnovers OR a 285 yard rusher, but you just can't overcome both. 

Looking to next year.... USJ will have as good a chance of making it back to Cookeville as anyone. Line will be big and experienced. Losing a 4 year 2-way starter is never easy, but the rest of the line returns and there is an abundance of beef waiting to step up. The QB replacement is talented and will do fine. Playmakers will have to grow up, but they always do. As much as I hated in-region road trips to Nashville the last 2 years, it will be much tougher to see where we stand without the usual NCS/DA matchups in the regular season. 

Signing off on the saddest day of the year... man August is a long way away. Here's to hoping we can get basketball and baseball played this season.

My 2 cents is that this year's DA team could have been in the mix in AA, though not last year's. CPA and Lipscomb both are a little bit better, but 2020 DA was that good. Frankly, when I was watching the 5A final last night I thought both DA and USJ could compete with those teams.

This years DA team would have been a semi-final team and finished 3rd in the Middle IMO. Last years DA team would have been a 2nd round team probably and the 2018 team could have been a runner-up.

As far as USJ goes, they have plenty of talent but just not tough enough to beat DA the last 2 years. DA was just too physical for 4 quarters. 

DCA is the favorite for next year in A to me. Wade is such a great coach and they have a solid group of players returning and he will add to that for sure by the time nest school year begins.

Gotta think NCS will have some athletes as well and be in the mix but it will be USJ or DCA's Gold Ball to lose IMO.

As far as DA moving up goes; not sure what is behind that decision but it is idiotic and stupid. No way they can compete in that middle region next year. The time to move up would have been this last 4 year cycle. I see a couple 49-6 games in the 2021 season for the Bears. They will have no business being on the field with LA or CPA. Dumb decision.

2 minutes ago, CFAfan said:

This years DA team would have been a semi-final team and finished 3rd in the Middle IMO. Last years DA team would have been a 2nd round team probably and the 2018 team could have been a runner-up.

As far as USJ goes, they have plenty of talent but just not tough enough to beat DA the last 2 years. DA was just too physical for 4 quarters. 

DCA is the favorite for next year in A to me. Wade is such a great coach and they have a solid group of players returning and he will add to that for sure by the time nest school year begins.

Gotta think NCS will have some athletes as well and be in the mix but it will be USJ or DCA's Gold Ball to lose IMO.

As far as DA moving up goes; not sure what is behind that decision but it is idiotic and stupid. No way they can compete in that middle region next year. The time to move up would have been this last 4 year cycle. I see a couple 49-6 games in the 2021 season for the Bears. They will have no business being on the field with LA or CPA. Dumb decision.

Saw someone post earlier about DA's non region schedule being weak. Get ready because I have heard next year's is beyond weak with a couple DII-A opponents and some horrible Metro teams on the schedule. Not sure if it has been released yet so I could be wrong but from what I have heard they will not be pushing themselves outside of their Region schedule.

4 hours ago, Kublah said:

My 2 cents is that this year's DA team could have been in the mix in AA, though not last year's. CPA and Lipscomb both are a little bit better, but 2020 DA was that good. Frankly, when I was watching the 5A final last night I thought both DA and USJ could compete with those teams.

Agree with this post. I definitely think both USJ and DA could possibly hang with Peabody.

2 hours ago, MrBannon said:

Agree with this post. I definitely think both USJ and DA could possibly hang with Peabody.

Don’t let Peabody Pride hear your say that. Their JV had a “running clock” on us and he’s convinced the Bruins can’t sniff their jocks. In reality, Peabody was 1-2 scores better than USJ this year.

9 hours ago, CFAfan said:

They had no choice but to move up. Their enrollment dictates it. You cannot opt to play down.