Davidson vs USJ, Battle of the Ursidae vol. 4

Bellsburg2

10 hours ago, USJalum88 said:

Congrats DA you are a special team. I think we have more silver balls than anybody else in the state which is bad and good.  Proud of the boys tonight and we gave it a good run.  We cannot turn the ball over 4 times to DA and win.  We really needed to put more distance between us and then in the first half.  So glad we got this year of football in with Covid.  It was a roller coaster that I do want to go through in 2021

Congrats on y’all’s year. Enjoyed playing y’all and will miss the games against y’all.

11 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I did not assume anything. I only stated what several different people have told me. Considering your response, I will assume that y'all are not very gracious in victory, or friendly to people, media, or teams from out of town. 

No doubt, I've experienced that graciousness (sarcasm).  Karma is real, hopefully I'll get to watch it come around.

I skimmed the thread and don’t think anyone mentioned that USJ got hosed a down on one of their possessions (not sure if it was 3rd Qtr or 4th). Here’s what happened:

1st & 10 USJ - False Start 5 yd penalty

1st & 15 - short gain

2nd & 13 - USJ rolls right and throws the ball away - called for intentional grounding - 5yd penalty and loss of down

White hat spots the ball and calls it 4th down. USJ Coach is going nuts saying it should be 3rd down, then has to punt. I know the stripes have a tough job but these were supposed to be the best 9 crews in the state. That was a huge mistake. Probably didn’t change the outcome, just hate to see such a bad call. Congrats to both teams on a great season. 

3 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

What is behind DA moving up next year? Did they exceed the size threshold or is it voluntary?

Size.  Speaking with a DA family we know after the game, they understand the jump up.  Losing 15+ quality senior ball players will make it very difficult to compete for a state championship next year

What I do not want to hear. If DA struggles next year, they discount how good they have been the last two years.  They would have been a force in D2 AA. 

46 minutes ago, USJalum88 said:

Size.  Speaking with a DA family we know after the game, they understand the jump up.  Losing 15+ quality senior ball players will make it very difficult to compete for a state championship next year

What I do not want to hear. If DA struggles next year, they discount how good they have been the last two years.  They would have been a force in D2 AA. 

They would have been 3rd in the region

6 hours ago, gcapride said:

I skimmed the thread and don’t think anyone mentioned that USJ got hosed a down on one of their possessions (not sure if it was 3rd Qtr or 4th). Here’s what happened:

1st & 10 USJ - False Start 5 yd penalty

1st & 15 - short gain

2nd & 13 - USJ rolls right and throws the ball away - called for intentional grounding - 5yd penalty and loss of down

White hat spots the ball and calls it 4th down. USJ Coach is going nuts saying it should be 3rd down, then has to punt. I know the stripes have a tough job but these were supposed to be the best 9 crews in the state. That was a huge mistake. Probably didn’t change the outcome, just hate to see such a bad call. Congrats to both teams on a great season. 

Tough pill to swallow but the process of how officials get state championship games in football is based off a rotation, not necessarily the “best officials” are in Cookeville.

27 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Tough pill to swallow but the process of how officials get state championship games in football is based off a rotation, not necessarily the “best officials” are in Cookeville.

Well then that just Sucks!!! The best teams are there then the best refs should be. 

1 hour ago, USJalum88 said:

And it begins

As someone that saw the great Lausanne teams and the CPA championship team two years ago this DA would have had a good chance.  This DA team is better than last year’s version.

I saw DA this year, which is what we were talking about, as well as CPA and Lipscomb. DA would be 3rd. They could score some with them but their defense would never stop either. I also saw the Eric Gray Lausanne teams and DA most certainly would not have stopped them from scoring.

Quinn is a hugely successful offensive coach. His defenses rely on athlete more than scheme and when athletes are equal or better they have a problem. Your guys couldn't keep up with their offense. You moved the ball against them in the first half, but you can't throw it and when you got behind you had no chance of catching up. Is what it is. 

The real question is will Quinn depart with his last son (and the last Swinea) or stick around for the rebuild.

Any of you guys that don't think their is a big step up just to AA you are sadly mistaken. Their is a reason why some of these schools have fought to keep 3 classes in a 50 team division. Huge disparity between AAA and AA AND A.

1 hour ago, USJalum88 said:

And it begins

As someone that saw the great Lausanne teams and the CPA championship team two years ago this DA would have had a good chance.  This DA team is better than last year’s version.

Not sure why you’d have a chip on your shoulder about how another team would be speculated in regards as to how they’d fair in another classification. 

You said they’d be a power in D2 AA the last two years. MM said they’d finish above a really good Goodpasture team that only lost to LA and CPA.  Sounds like a compliment. 

2019 DA lost to FRA 30-6 who finished 3rd in the middle region, right?  DA has not played a tough non-region schedule that would help support your view.

Nobody is going to take away what DA has done over the last four years.  It has been impressive.

You knew when you made your statement, someone would disagree.