What schools benefit from open enrollment and does it leave room for cheating?

Golddoctor

34 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

In Loudon County say a kid goes to Loudon Middle,Lenoir City Middle or North Middle then they decide to come to GB it's perfectly legal we are all in the same county.NOW if those kids go thru at least 3 days spring practice or play a year at either Loudon High or Lenoir city high and then decide to come to GB then they have to physically move to where a GB bus runs in front of their new home.Its pretty simple.

Exactly!

Ok so what’s everyone’s answer to the topic????? 

Who do you think benefits from open enrollment and does it leave room for cheating?

I think I know where the doctor is is going with this but a team with that many championships and all the attention on them I’m pretty sure they do their homework and go by the book. Lets just call a spade a spade here! I think he is referring to Alcoa but I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

Who do you think benefits from open enrollment and does it leave room for cheating?

I think I know where the doctor is is going with this but a team with that many championships and all the attention on them I’m pretty sure they do their homework and go by the book. Lets just call a spade a spade here! I think he is referring to Alcoa but I could be wrong. 

He should go up to the 3a-4a board and get the F5 crew on his back along with Greenville.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

Alcoa’s open enrollment is a little different than a lot of places. Who wouldn’t want to play for them if they lived within driving distance though. 

7 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

@Tide21 @PeabodyPride @Snowballschance @Richmond30

Can you guys educate me on the transfer crap? So if a kid moves into a County and wants to play does that kid always have to sit a year? Another question is if a kid moves to a county and wants to play does that school have to have a bus route to pick that kid up or have a bus available for that kid if one is needed? We don’t have that privilege here in Waverly there is no big surrounding schools we can try to get players like a lot of y’all can. 

Most of the "red tape" and confusing details are the result of school board policy vandy, not TSSAA regulations. Bona fide change of address into the territory of a school legitimizes a transfer to be immediately eligible per TSSAA. 

5 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

I know if you try to transfer to Peabody and play sports you will be told you need a trenton address. 

you want to hear something funny ?  Gibson county is right down the road like maybe 4-6 miles. There are addresses near the school like on the same road and if you live there your kids have to go to Trenton. 

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Most of the "red tape" and confusing details are the result of school board policy vandy, not TSSAA regulations. Bona fide change of address into the territory of a school legitimizes a transfer to be immediately eligible per TSSAA. 

Not sure what you mean by school board policy. The problem is that TSSAA defines territory as the area identified by the school board AND where the buses run. If there are no buses running in front of your house, even if it is in the are defined by the school board... heck, even if you can see the school from your house, you aren’t in the new school’s territory and aren’t eligible. 

McKenzie schools is forced to be open enrollment because our town is in 3 counties (Henry, Weakley, Carroll). We have benefited from this some. For example, athletes from Henry County have come to play basketball and football, and they have helped us greatly. It keeps our enrollment numbers up and the students excell in the classroom. There have been very little issues in the past with McKenzie kids not getting to play. But it does feel good about when Huntingdon fans complain that we have kids from Henry county playing for us :D

5 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I know if you try to transfer to Peabody and play sports you will be told you need a trenton address. 

you want to hear something funny ?  Gibson county is right down the road like maybe 4-6 miles. There are addresses near the school like on the same road and if you live there your kids have to go to Trenton. 

That’s crazy I know exactly where your talking about. Y’all are pretty close.

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Appreciate the info I’m just trying learn some stuff. Like I say we really don’t run into this at Waverly. But when I travel to these other games sometimes I can see where this would or could be an issue.