A-AA Pound for Pound

rideOut

I have been wanting to put together a P4P for A-AA for a while. Just to show some love and appreciation to the smaller schools that sometimes get overlooked. There are some real hammers in this division and some fun potential match ups come time for State. Just to make this clear this is my opinion and I encourage others to voice their own opinions as well.

1. Hunter Mason (Greeneville) - Sophomore (132) {Why: Ranked 19th in the country at 126 by Track wrestling; 1X State Champ}
  2. Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - Senior (126) {Why: 4X State Finalist; 3X State Champ}
  3. Kodiak Cannedy (Greeneville) - Junior (160) {Why: 2x State Champ; Several Appearances in National Tourneys}
  4. Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) - Senior (170) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ; Undefeated the for the last two seasons}
  5. Garrett Foreman (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (170) {Why: 1X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  6. Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - Sophomore (113) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  7. Lance Williams (Alcoa) - Sophomore (HWT) {Why: Undefeated State Champ as a Freshman; Only loss this year was in OT to Mustafi Algarawi from PF (3-2)}
  8. Josh Parton (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (138) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  9. Noah Hill (Forrest) - Senior (195) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  10. Caleb Wolfe (Pigeon Forge) - Sophomore (220) {Why: 1X State Finalist; Win over 2X State Champ at Fandetti-Richardson in the Finals}

Honorable Mentions:

• Colby Dalon (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (N/A) {Why: 2X State Champ; appears to not be wrestling this year or else would be ranked top 5}
  • Jonathan Morton (Elizabethton) - Senior (220) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 2X State Champ; Lost to Caleb Wolfe from PF (7-4)}
  • Ethan Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - 8th Grade (106) {Why: OT loss to second ranked Cleveland; Several MS and Elem. State Championships and he's a Uhorchuk I mean do we expect anything less than a State Championship from him this year JK but not really}
  • Trevor Lewis (Hixson) - Senior (132) {Why: 3X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  • Riley Bennett (Fairview) - Senior (138) {Why: 3X State Finalist}
  • Parish Pacetti (Hixson) - Senior (220) {Why: 1X State Champ}

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rideOut said:

I

1. Hunter Mason (Greeneville) - Sophomore (132) {Why: Ranked 19th in the country at 126 by Track wrestling; 1X State Champ}
  2. Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - Senior (126) {Why: 4X State Finalist; 3X State Champ}

So just to be clear, you put a sophomore and one time state champ as the pound for pound best wrestler in the state in A-AA over a senior 4x finalist and 3x state champ because he's ranked by TrackWrestling? If Uhorchuk bumped to 32 and wrestled Mason are you sure Mason would win convincingly?

2 hours ago, Ummmno said:

So just to be clear, you put a sophomore and one time state champ as the pound for pound best wrestler in the state in A-AA over a senior 4x finalist and 3x state champ because he's ranked by TrackWrestling? If Uhorchuk bumped to 32 and wrestled Mason are you sure Mason would win convincingly?

That's a great question and I would love to see that match. I'm not sure if it would ever happen but I think if it did happen that Hunter would win via decision. Both kids are studs. Who do you think would win and why?

1 hour ago, dontstopbelieving said:

In what stage of your research did you see Garrett Foreman at 170? Pretty sure he's never weighed that much in his life... also its been stated multiple times that Colby Dalon is now at Lakeway... a private school.

Good catch, Garrett Foreman appears to be wrestling at 145/152 this year not 170. And thanks for the heads up on Colby Dalon was not aware he went to Lakeway. They are pulling quite a bit of talent this year.

Thanks for taking the time to put these together. There are definitely some great wrestlers in A/AA and I believe some of these young men could be the best in the state at their respective weights. Will be fun to look back at these after state championships and see how many and which ones are able to end on top.  

‘We are seeing the competition gap close with the best wrestlers in the state across all divisions I believe due to the maturing of our Youth wrestling in the state. Easily half of the guys listed above wrestle all spring and summer across the nation. 

Glad to see the level of competition continue to increase in our state. 

13 hours ago, rideOut said:

That's a great question and I would love to see that match. I'm not sure if it would ever happen but I think if it did happen that Hunter would win via decision. Both kids are studs. Who do you think would win and why?

I'm picking the senior 3x state champ and division 1 commit over the sophomore who won state once. I'm still trying to follow your logic as to why he is p4p above Uhorchuk?

i think being ranked nationally carries more weight. Hunter wins that match. albeit a close match. but still a win none the less. the wins he has on the national level carry more weight than winning a few small school titles in tennessee. Hunter in all likelihood will be a 4 timer with quite a bit more national credentials. Daniel is a stud but just because he’s older and has won more state titles (because he’s older) doesn’t make him better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely no disrespect to Daniel but I've been in a room when Daniel and Hunter were both present. It is not even remotely close in any aspect.   The match score is not close at all. Again this is not to disrespect Daniel as he is a really good wrestler but Hunter is on a different level, a completely different level.  Hunter is currently ranked 11th at 126 on Flo's ratings.

Edited by oceansize42
additional info
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:28 PM, Ummmno said:

Yes. 100 percent. 0 doubt. Not only does FloWrestling has him at 11th, but he has also proved to dominate wrestlers not only at his weight but surrounding weight classes as well as successful wrestlers from other divisions. You’re talking about a Super 32 All American vs a successful small school wrestler in TN. Although Daniel is very talented... 15-0 Mason. Don’t be stupid.