Region Upsets

WrestlingGod

6 minutes ago, JIII said:

This is the same way OW is decided at the tournament. Skyler Coffee won last year and was impressive but Tyler Seeley gave up zero points and won a state title. I would argue that the competition at Seeleys weight was substantially better. It’s a popularity contest and not based on performance. OW is about the tournament and not your career or season of work.

But again, he wrestled two matches all year going into the state tournament. I get that it’s a popularity contest but there’s a lot of other kids in that region who have broken out this year. Alton Ables, Landon Desselle, Mitchell Lambert, Ryan Smith just to name a few based off records alone.

56 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

But again, he wrestled two matches all year going into the state tournament. I get that it’s a popularity contest but there’s a lot of other kids in that region who have broken out this year. Alton Ables, Landon Desselle, Mitchell Lambert, Ryan Smith just to name a few based off records alone.

I agree. Ables undefeated, Desselle only 2 losses to top kids(they aren’t giving to a freshman), Lambert I think undefeated as well, Smith 1 loss on a questions call for illegal move. 

17 hours ago, Ummmno said:

No disrespect but Calvin wrestles 2 matches going into the region tournament (according to trackwrestling). Then goes 1-2 at the region tournament and wins region 7 wrestler of the year? How did that voting work?

The other is a no brainer. Coach Miller definitely was the right choice there.

This might shock you, but Miller only won by ONE vote against RAVENWOOD for head coach of the year. 3rd in state, or Ravenwood.

11 minutes ago, MichauleyCulkin said:

This might shock you, but Miller only won by ONE vote against RAVENWOOD for head coach of the year. 3rd in state, or Ravenwood.

Finished 3rd at state. Finished with 277 points, beat Brentwood by 100 points, 7 champs, 9 qualified. Ehhh maybe someone else deserves it. Not much to see here. 

yes I’m being sarcastic 

3 hours ago, Midtnwtrestling said:

Finished 3rd at state. Finished with 277 points, beat Brentwood by 100 points, 7 champs, 9 qualified. Ehhh maybe someone else deserves it. Not much to see here. 

yes I’m being sarcastic 

You would be surprised. Smith and Brentwood placed 4th his first year there and he didnt get it. 

Centennial placed 4th the following year and outscored the region teams by 500 points in duals and didnt get it. Logic is not used when voting for awards in this region.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Midtnwtrestling said:

yes I’m being sarcastic 

To be fair, Miller has certainly been the beneficiary of the "popularity contest" so I don't think anyone could be upset if he didn't win.  In 2016 when he was "voted" as TN Coach of the Year, his team finished an unimpressive 27th at State and did not qualify for State Duals.  The prior year Summit was 0-2 at State Duals.  So you might want to save your sarcasm, logic is not used for awards in the state.  

3 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

To be fair, Miller has certainly been the beneficiary of the "popularity contest" so I don't think anyone could be upset if he didn't win.  In 2016 when he was "voted" as TN Coach of the Year, his team finished an unimpressive 27th at State and did not qualify for State Duals.  The prior year Summit was 0-2 at State Duals.  So you might want to save your sarcasm, logic is not used for awards in the state.  

Whether or not he deserved it then really isn’t the topic. And tbh, nobody dogged Calvin for getting it like you are dogging Pete right here. We’re saying THIS YEAR there was no competition as to which coach should’ve gotten the award. There was a case to be made for multiple kids getting it, Calvin just shouldn’t have been one of them. 

It’s just a little weird that one of the awards went where it should and the other didn’t. 

33 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Whether or not he deserved it then really isn’t the topic. And tbh, nobody dogged Calvin for getting it like you are dogging Pete right here. We’re saying THIS YEAR there was no competition as to which coach should’ve gotten the award. There was a case to be made for multiple kids getting it, Calvin just shouldn’t have been one of them. 

It’s just a little weird that one of the awards went where it should and the other didn’t. 

Ok, so let me use your phrasing.   I wasn't dogging Pete, I'm simply saying there were about 25 other coaches who deserved the award but he wasn't one of them. 

It's just a little weird that daddy might have had influence over the vote.

6 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Ok, so let me use your phrasing.   I wasn't dogging Pete, I'm simply saying there were about 25 other coaches who deserved the award but he wasn't one of them. 

It's just a little weird that daddy might have had influence over the vote.

I agree that was a very odd year. Like stated before that region has now had 2 other coaches place in state when they weren’t ranked in top 4 previously and didnt even get coach of the year in the region. Would have thought an award that goes throughout the whole state would have to go to one of the teams that end up somewhere on top.

32 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Here is the honest truth as to why Calvin won it. Although he only wrestled a couple of matches, not his fault, when his name popped up. I guarantee you all of the Metro coaches voted for him.  That left the Williamson County teams to split their votes amongst the more deserving wrestlers from this season. I wasn’t in the room, but when I was coaching, there was a division amongst the 2 districts. 2016 COY in the region went to Chris Murray of Hillsboro. Yes he did a great job. But in my opinion the award should have gone to Jared Grindstaff, Phillip Pelkey, or Jerome Dooley. Why didn’t Jared or Pelkey win it. Votes were split, all the Metro coaches voted for Murray, because I wasn’t going to vote for myself. There you have it. It’s not about popularity, it’s just that the Metro coaches feel that Willco teams think they are better and will not vote for them if it is going to be determined by majority. Metro has an advantage, all they need is one Willco coach or Dickson Co to roll with them. It will never be a fair vote until regions are changed. Which I think is happening next year. Didn’t you all ever wonder why some of those coaches never wanted to wrestle you guys, or you didn’t see them until regions. That’s pretty much why. I didn’t really look at wrestling this season until duals, but I saw that there were a lot of kids that had outstanding seasons. There should not have been a Metro kid up for any award this season. Although through no fault of their own,  the body of work was not comparable to those that had full seasons.  

• Upvote 1