Maryville Fans.....

chs1984

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to start a new thread on here, but I thought that this was worthy. I didn’t realize until a few days ago that John Olive was still the head coach at Tullahoma. I’m not telling you Maryville fans anything that you don’t already know, but for the benefit of others; In a back door kind of way you can thank Coach Olive for what became the Maryville Dynasty. After the 1990 season, Coach Olive took a chance and reached out to longtime Rhea Co. Defensive Coordinator Tim Hammontree, and lured him to Maryville for the same position. Hammontree, along with the late Bill Horton, had enjoyed a great 10 year run at Rhea Co. (A side note: Horton never won another playoff game after Coach Hammontree left) Two years later Coach Olive left to take the HC job at Tullahoma. It sounds crazy today to think that a coach would leave Maryville for Tullahoma, but at the time it was seen as a step up, as Maryville had been in a 15 year decline. Coach Hammontree was promoted to HC and a couple of years later he hired George Quarles as Offensive Coordinator, and, as they say, the rest is history. In the article that I was reading (I’m sorry, I can’t remember the source) it said that Coach Olive immediately knew that he had made a mistake in talking the Tullahoma job, and wanted to return to Maryville, even if it meant being an assistant coach. Of course, he got past that and has enjoyed a good run at Tullahoma. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

It’s a rare occasion that would cause me to start a new thread on here, but I thought that this was worthy. I didn’t realize until a few days ago that John Olive was still the head coach at Tullahoma. I’m not telling you Maryville fans anything that you don’t already know, but for the benefit of others; In a back door kind of way you can thank Coach Olive for what became the Maryville Dynasty. After the 1990 season, Coach Olive took a chance and reached out to longtime Rhea Co. Defensive Coordinator Tim Hammontree, and lured him to Maryville for the same position. Hammontree, along with the late Bill Horton, had enjoyed a great 10 year run at Rhea Co. (A side note: Horton never won another playoff game after Coach Hammontree left) Two years later Coach Olive left to take the HC job at Tullahoma. It sounds crazy today to think that a coach would leave Maryville for Tullahoma, but at the time it was seen as a step up, as Maryville had been in a 15 year decline. Coach Hammontree was promoted to HC and a couple of years later he hired George Quarles as Offensive Coordinator, and, as they say, the rest is history. In the article that I was reading (I’m sorry, I can’t remember the source) it said that Coach Olive immediately knew that he had made a mistake in talking the Tullahoma job, and wanted to return to Maryville, even if it meant being an assistant coach. Of course, he got past that and has enjoyed a good run at Tullahoma. 

John Olive is a great guy. Maryville went into a decline for many reasons in the end of Coach Story's last years at the controls. Back then there were only three or four coaches and not a dozen plus like now days. Maryville went out an hired ex Oak Ridge coach Emory Hale and by the end of the season Emory was let go over being accused of being to rough with the players, one grabbing facemask. This sort of caused a civil war inside the fan base and when Coach Olive was hired it seems to me there were no other considerations or applications taken which really divided the fans. Maybe John left because of the pressure to produce better at Maryville had to be something else plus being from there also made it even worse. Personally John made the right choice and the people of Tullahoma got a good coach and someone they like very well or he wouldn't have lasted this long. Hamontree was a good coach and that 98 team was one of the best I've ever seen. I do know he don't make friends very easy and a lot of other teachers that were around during that time had no use for him which surprised me to hear that at time. I didn't know him that well but people talk once someone is gone. I didn't expect what was to come when GQ took over but the start of the 2000 season there was a for sale signs ( Not Me) being put in his yard after the first 4 games that year were loses. After that the rest has been history. Far as Hamontree goes his kids were entering college and moving to Georgia helped in that situation. I hate what he has went through at Heritage and a much better coach than his record. Getting players out for football is hard when you have to compete with the kids now days wanting to be adults when they turn 16 and need that truck and a job to pay for it.

The Olive family will always be part of Murvil. I reached out to John a couple of years ago as one of my family was moving to Tullahoma. Just like his father did for so many in Murvil, John was first class as he provided some needed guidance to us. I’m sure the folks in Tullahoma are just as proud to claim him.

53 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

So what ever happened to Coach Story?  I ran into him many many years ago at a UT game but not sure it is same one

He's still around. I haven't seen him in a while because of covid but we used to all meet for breakfast a few times a week at Hardee's. Coach Story is a very good man and has given Maryville High lots of money over the years for such things as the weight room and help on paying for the football field we have now. best defensive coach in the high school game during the time he was there. If Maryville could deliver on offense back in the 70's we would have a great team because he could always deliver on defense. 70-76-78 State Champs when there were only 3 classes and 8 teams went to the playoffs.

thumbnail_(37).jpg?width=1920&height=108

Edited by BarneySox2007