A/AA State Individual Predictions

cowcatcher

6 hours ago, JMorton said:

I was told Lewis was injured. Don’t know that for a fact but that’s what I was told. 

Saw a news story that said Lewis had a ankle injury.

126lb Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mtn.) won by forfeit over Trevor Lewis (Hixson, ankle injury)

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/43405493/signals-trio-of-uhorchuk-brothers-all-win-aaa-state-wresting-titles

On 2/24/2021 at 6:29 PM, Ummmno said:

So ummm....what happened at the end of that 145 match?

Early on in the match Parton and Bennett were tied up and Josh's nose hit Riley's head pretty hard. There was a significant amount of blood. They attempted to stop the bleeding by wrapping tape around his head but the match was stopped a few more times cause he kept bleeding. Eventually he ran out of blood time. Unfortunate way for a finals match to end, however, Riley was up when Josh's nose started bleeding.

17 minutes ago, rideOut said:

Early on in the match Parton and Bennett were tied up and Josh's nose hit Riley's head pretty hard. There was a significant amount of blood. They attempted to stop the bleeding by wrapping tape around his head but the match was stopped a few more times cause he kept bleeding. Eventually he ran out of blood time. Unfortunate way for a finals match to end, however, Riley was up when Josh's nose started bleeding.

It wasn't stopped due to blood time.  His dad walked out on the mat and stopped the match.  Riley had a bar in deep and was about to turn him, and with a pre existing shoulder injury, his dad did not want to risk additional damage.  Bennett was in control of the match prior to the nose injury.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 7:40 AM, dontstopbelieving said:

14 scratches for a-aa this morning, looks like the biggest one is Noah Dyer from Pigeon Forge.

I’m not gonna make excuses for kids missing weight, one of the 14 was one of mine. I’m also not gonna claim that all 14 missed weight because I don’t know if that is the case.

What I will say is 30 minutes between doors opening and the beginning of weigh in doesn’t leave a kid much time to run off the extra if he’s heavy. Seems like years past you could see kids running before weigh ins. This year there wasnt much time or room to run and the weigh ins seemed rushed.

Maybe an hour between would be better suited for the ones without access to a scale.
Otherwise I believe the TSSAA did a good job considering what they were up against. 
I was not present for the other sessions so I don’t know if they experienced the same thing. Anyone have input 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, Hamblin said:

I’m not gonna make excuses for kids missing weight, one of the 14 was one of mine. I’m also not gonna claim that all 14 missed weight because I don’t know if that is the case.

What I will say is 30 minutes between doors opening and the beginning of weigh in doesn’t leave a kid much time to run off the extra if he’s heavy. Seems like years past you could see kids running before weigh ins. This year there wasnt much time or room to run and the weigh ins seemed rushed.

Maybe an hour between would be better suited for the ones without access to a scale.
Otherwise I believe the TSSAA did a good job considering what they were up against. 
I was not present for the other sessions so I don’t know if they experienced the same thing. Anyone have input 

I'm not sure if its input but I will say, that its against NFHS rules to " run off" or preform any weight cutting activities on site. That should be done safely and at home. Not where wrestling is scheduled to take place. If seen by an official your son would be ineligible to wrestle that event.

4 hours ago, DAKEKO said:

I'm not sure if its input but I will say, that its against NFHS rules to " run off" or preform any weight cutting activities on site. That should be done safely and at home. Not where wrestling is scheduled to take place. If seen by an official your son would be ineligible to wrestle that event.

I understand the rules. I also have witnessed a numbers of boys running before weigh ins at every state tournament the past dozen years. 
I would assume this rule is overlooked for several reasons. Example. My scale is different than yours. You weigh all week on your scale and then come to me and you miss weight. Is that your fault or the fault of the scale? Scales are never consistent, even at state. So, if you show up at my school and you were on weight at your school but 2/10 over on mine because our scales are different should you have an opportunity to run a little before official weigh in? Any Coach will tell you how frustrating it is to pre weigh at your school, travel to another school and be heavy. Fortunately every Coach I have dealt with over the years has had the same attitude about it. Now if you have one of those scales that keeps you lighter than others you don’t usually have an issue. My scale is different than yours.

Scale inconsistency.

While weighing in your team at an event and someone weighs slightly lower than their descent weight it registers in red on the next weigh sheet. We all know this slightly lower  weight does not qualify the wrestler for a lower weight class because they are bound by their descent.  Should the wrestler be penalized for being slightly lower than his/her descent target weight? They are not because of scale inconsistencies. My scale is different than yours. 

Some families have a home scale. They are told to check their weight after practice and then check when they get home and compare the difference. This is a good tool for monitoring ones weight as the season progresses. Should everyone bring their own scale to state and have in their hotel? I think it’s a great practice but not always practical. 

For A/AA Nobody was permitted in the building the night before to check a scale. The following morning they were given 30 minutes from the doors opening to weigh in. It was a little chaotic. Everyone did a great job considering. DAKEKO, I know you guys had your hands full and it was not the most ideal situation. I assume you are an official. 

Im not sure how D2 and the girls did their weigh in the next day but I did see a number of them walking around the facility during the A/AA tournament and what was the chance they had access to those scales, the night before their weigh in? 

In my original comment I was suggesting that these limitations may have led to the larger than normal number of missed weights. 

I do not believe a kid should be wearing sauna suits and garbage bags while running. I don’t condone nor permit it. I am not a fan of ‘’cutting’’ weight. I am not a fan of diuretics as a means of dropping weight.

Personally, because our scales are different I feel a bit of leeway should be permitted and within reason, such as an early weight check. 
If the second and third sessions were permitted access to the scales the day before their event then the same opportunity should have been provided. 

In closing, if a kid doesn’t not take his weigh in seriously that is on him/her. 

Geez if a young man in high school is not mature enough to make weight there’s a prob and a good but tuff lesson learned can’t believe we on here crying about what someone else can do so athletes make weight how about grow up be responsible !! I know that sounds hard but before I get trashed let me know where I’m wrong 

15 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

Geez if a young man in high school is not mature enough to make weight there’s a prob and a good but tuff lesson learned can’t believe we on here crying about what someone else can do so athletes make weight how about grow up be responsible !! I know that sounds hard but before I get trashed let me know where I’m wrong 

Well fine sir, I don’t see any crying going on here. If you don’t like the subject or content you can always try and just ignore it.