Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

9 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Will you be happy if it is??

They announced it today / seemed to know what he was doing when at Forrest / we played them every year that my grands where there and yes I’m satisfied don’t know we could handle another 2 or 3 and done - I’d say he in it for long haul 

36 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

They announced it today / seemed to know what he was doing when at Forrest / we played them every year that my grands where there and yes I’m satisfied don’t know we could handle another 2 or 3 and done - I’d say he in it for long haul 

Good deal. Summertown is a great program and deserves the best. 

15 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing wrong with multi-sport players for school sports. Travel softball has been a sport at South Gibson since it has been there. Basketball world needs to keep rolling regardless if some kids play other sports. Gibson County has five and four in rotation that plays softball and they play with whoever they have and they do it well. Basketball needs to keep rolling and the others will have to catch up or be left behind if you want to win a Gold Ball. I think she will do well but it won’t be easy.

I think she'll get the kids in the gym as much as possible which is the change they need. Will be interesting to see what they look like next season.

16 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing wrong with multi-sport players for school sports. Travel softball has been a sport at South Gibson since it has been there. Basketball world needs to keep rolling regardless if some kids play other sports. Gibson County has five and four in rotation that plays softball and they play with whoever they have and they do it well. Basketball needs to keep rolling and the others will have to catch up or be left behind if you want to win a Gold Ball. I think she will do well but it won’t be easy.

IMO multi-sport players should be encouraged in high school athletics. Kids seem be more well round socially and physically from the kids I have watched over the years. They seem to enjoy the sports they participate in more. I do realize there are special athletes in every sport who will excel in one sport and their focus will be there but early on they should be encouraged to play other sports. I also think it helps strengthen their body in areas that if only one sport emphasized can lead to injuries. The burn out i see with players from 12 months in a gym or on a field without a break takes some of the fun out of it. Kids need a break from the 24/7/365 pounding they put their bodies through from just the dead periods that TSSAA mandates. Nothing wrong with the desire and drive to be the best you can. Should be supported and encouraged. We should always encourage well rounded students and athletes. 

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

I think she'll get the kids in the gym as much as possible which is the change they need. Will be interesting to see what they look like next season.

I hadn’t watched South Gibson a ton but always have thought they could do really well pressing a lot and playing fast because the very little that they did press they did well. Problem is they rarely pressed therefore they obviously didn’t practice press a lot and would fall apart against teams like South Side and Gibson County when they full court pressed and hit them in the mouth.  South Gibson needs to be the one that hits teams in the mouth. They won’t have a big post as far as I know and hadn’t several years. Embry will have to hold them accountable in practice in a big way for fundamental mistakes and run run run and get them disciplined and mentally tough. They were playing better and hired a good strength and conditioning coach last year. I think they have some talent on the team and younger talent coming up. They just need to live it as much as they can and change their culture and I think they will see a big difference.

28 minutes ago, OrangeGuru said:

IMO multi-sport players should be encouraged in high school athletics. Kids seem be more well round socially and physically from the kids I have watched over the years. They seem to enjoy the sports they participate in more. I do realize there are special athletes in every sport who will excel in one sport and their focus will be there but early on they should be encouraged to play other sports. I also think it helps strengthen their body in areas that if only one sport emphasized can lead to injuries. The burn out i see with players from 12 months in a gym or on a field without a break takes some of the fun out of it. Kids need a break from the 24/7/365 pounding they put their bodies through from just the dead periods that TSSAA mandates. Nothing wrong with the desire and drive to be the best you can. Should be supported and encouraged. We should always encourage well rounded students and athletes. 

Nothing wrong and I agree. But you got to have your basketball program installed with camps, play days, strength and conditioning programs and drills throughout the year to keep crisp and to better your program. There are breaks here and there. Gibson County lost 7 players in 2019 and 6 in 2020 90% of them starters and role players and beat South Gibson, who lost 0 players the year before by almost 40 and a running clock. All about the program and the culture. I had 1 in my family I trained 24/7 1) because we wanted to win a Gold Ball and 2) because she wasn’t blessed with great speed and she led the state in 3’s in Single A and Double A in 2020 and is number 6 all time in the TSSAA record books for most single season three’s with 123. I spent thousands of dollars sending her to Jeremy Vonner at Solus in Jackson and other trainers and place was full of girls from all over mainly USJ and TCA girls, who played for a title and won a title. Parents know their kids weaknesses and instead of griping about their kid not playing get in the gym and practice and work on your weaknesses on your own and give the coach reasons to keep your kid on the floor. If your kid is playing ball and your not committed to giving it your all your wasting time, IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing wrong and I agree. But you got to have your basketball program installed with camps, play days, strength and conditioning programs and drills throughout the year to keep crisp and to better your program. There are breaks here and there. Gibson County lost 7 players in 2019 and 6 in 2020 90% of them starters and role players and beat South Gibson, who lost 0 players the year before by almost 40 and a running clock. All about the program and the culture. I had 1 in my family I trained 24/7 1) because we wanted to win a Gold Ball and 2) because she wasn’t blessed with great speed and she led the state in 3’s in Single A and Double A in 2020 and is number 6 all time in the TSSAA record books for most single season three’s with 123. I spent thousands of dollars sending her to Jeremy Vonner at Solus in Jackson and other trainers and place was full of girls from all over mainly USJ and TCA girls, who played for a title and won a title. Parents know their kids weaknesses and instead of griping about their kid not playing get in the gym and practice and work on your weaknesses on your own and give the coach reasons to keep your kid on the floor. If your kid is playing ball and your not committed to giving it your all your wasting time, IMO. 

Kids have to have that drive to improver  as well as talent - put both together and you got something - one without the other breeds mediocrity at best - good coach can bring out the lack of one or the other but only marginally 

5 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Kids have to have that drive to improver  as well as talent - put both together and you got something - one without the other breeds mediocrity at best - good coach can bring out the lack of one or the other but only marginally 

I agree and Gibson County and Summertown has had kids that have had talent and coaches have made them better and I am sure some have spent lots of time in the gym on their own. You have mentioned Summertown has an excellent feeder program as does Gibson County. Not an accident they have talent. They have manufactured some talent over the years through gym time at a young age Some kids that are multi-sport athletes just have that “it” factor and can almost hit the ground running when they get in the gym. Lot of others that have talent need lots of reps to get better. South Gibson has been a sleeping giant for a while, IMO, and that is not just basketball. All eyes will be on Embry and what she can do there. I personally think she will ruffle lots of feathers as the Jr High Coach did, but was needed. 

52 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree and Gibson County and Summertown has had kids that have had talent and coaches have made them better and I am sure some have spent lots of time in the gym on their own. You have mentioned Summertown has an excellent feeder program as does Gibson County. Not an accident they have talent. They have manufactured some talent over the years through gym time at a young age Some kids that are multi-sport athletes just have that “it” factor and can almost hit the ground running when they get in the gym. Lot of others that have talent need lots of reps to get better. South Gibson has been a sleeping giant for a while, IMO, and that is not just basketball. All eyes will be on Embry and what she can do there. I personally think she will ruffle lots of feathers as the Jr High Coach did, but was needed. 

Got good friend  went to school w lives in Humbolt Dr Phil Agee ever heard of him

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Did the your family member want the Gold Ball or was it you and Gibson County that wanted it?