MOW and best match

Hamblin

3 hours ago, durdon said:

This is where I still have issue with Cody not getting the OW.  If you take Cody out of the Tournament, I think we would all agree that 45 was the 2nd toughest weight class behind 32.  Braxton ended up not placing in this bracket so that shows you how tough this weight was. If you add in Cody, then 45 was the toughest overall weight class at state. 

Cody was the only state champ that had to defeat 3 returning medalist to win his title.  Again, he was the only State champ in the tournament to beat 3 returning medalist.  And, he was the only person to pin his way through the tournament.  

I can see the argument that Bradford should have gotten it.  He did have to beat two returning state medalist in the 2nd toughest weight.  But, Bradford had two close decisions. 

Tre I still don’t see. Tre didn’t beat a single returning state medalist and he didn’t pin his way through his bracket at a weight that objectively wouldn’t even be considered one of the top 8 toughest weights this year.  

I still fail to see how what Cody accomplished wasn’t the most impressive performance at the tournament.  He PINNED everyone, he was the only Champ to beat 3 returning state medalist, and he did it in the toughest weight class at state this year.  

His only negative was that he is so much better than everyone else at his weight he made it look to easy which ended up taking away from how impressive what he accomplished was.  

UMMM justin bradford also beat 3 returning medalist to win his state title. he also beat a returning state champ for his state title in the finals.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

He spent two days in the hospital. Come on now. We should be talking about how awful the kids luck is, not assuming we know things because he wasn't there.

I spoke with his dad, and he is doing much better. But that was an extremely scary situation, and a sad one for a senior that has been working hard to get there. 

1 hour ago, WrestlingGod said:

He spent two days in the hospital. Come on now. We should be talking about how awful the kids luck is, not assuming we know things because he wasn't there.

Don't read into it.  That was no slight on Willett at all and I was unaware he was in the hospital.   I'm not here to belittle any of these young men as I know they all work really hard.

1 hour ago, DAKEKO said:

This Fowler is not a twin.  

Willett did not miss weight. He blew out part of his lung the day b4 state and couldn't keep his oxygen levels up. 

Please get your facts straight. 

And Cody would probably pin Tre in the 160 final, even with the bad knee. Might tech pin him. :roflol:

Fowler? I'm talking about the Fisher brothers, Landon and Logan, from Jefferson County.  Cody wrestled Landon and Tre wrestled Logan.

Yeah, sorry about Willett.  Was unaware on that one.

Who cares about matchups that didn't happen.  I'm really surprised about the amount of well "Cody is the best wrestler there talk".  Does anyone believe he wasn't?  Am I missing something?  Do you believe your announcing brand new information that Cody is the number 1 in the nation at 145?  That he couldn't win any weight class he wanted?  Dang guys.  Everyone assume everyone else is dumb?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, durdon said:

This is where I still have issue with Cody not getting the OW.  If you take Cody out of the Tournament, I think we would all agree that 45 was the 2nd toughest weight class behind 32.  Braxton ended up not placing in this bracket so that shows you how tough this weight was. If you add in Cody, then 45 was the toughest overall weight class at state. 

Cody was the only state champ that had to defeat 3 returning medalist to win his title.  Again, he was the only State champ in the tournament to beat 3 returning medalist.  And, he was the only person to pin his way through the tournament.  

I can see the argument that Bradford should have gotten it.  He did have to beat two returning state medalist in the 2nd toughest weight.  But, Bradford had two close decisions. 

Tre I still don’t see. Tre didn’t beat a single returning state medalist and he didn’t pin his way through his bracket at a weight that objectively wouldn’t even be considered one of the top 8 toughest weights this year.  

I still fail to see how what Cody accomplished wasn’t the most impressive performance at the tournament.  He PINNED everyone, he was the only Champ to beat 3 returning state medalist, and he did it in the toughest weight class at state this year.  

His only negative was that he is so much better than everyone else at his weight he made it look to easy which ended up taking away from how impressive what he accomplished was.  

Everyone knows Tenn is a popularity contest and the award does not always go to the “true” MOW at the State tournament. Not to mention the votes are collected before the finals match as well. It’s such a shame so many Coaches just pick on past and don’t evaluate true outcomes in these particular tournaments. Some kids are great wrestlers and are going on to the next level but it’s so blatant that it’s actually become laughable. Cody is the best wrestler in TN P4P period, he may or may not have been this years MOW but he will never win MOW at a State Tournament due to pettiness and jealousy in this state. 

Edited by Chalupaking
  • Upvote 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:23 PM, durdon said:

This would be a valid argument if Tre had pinned everyone but he wasn’t able to pin all of his Opponents so the time on the mat doesn’t matter.  
The only wrestler in tournament to pin all of his opponents was Chittum.  Let me repeat that, the only wrestler to pin all of his opponents was Chittum. 

He should have been the OW.  How anyone can justify giving the OW to a kid who scored less points and wasn’t able to pin all of his opponents is mind-boggling.  

I get the Cleveland jealousy but let’s be real. 

If pinning your way through tournament is your guidelines then the stud on your team shouldn’t have won MOW 3 years in a row since he didn’t pin his way through the tournament once. Still one of the best and love to watch him on the mat but definitely not the best overall in the State Tournament. Coaches/voters are biased in this State and all one has to do is look at the results. 

Edited by Chalupaking
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, durdon said:

I personally hate that coaches vote on MOW. It just makes it a popularity contest, I wish it was based on some type of criteria.  

Case and point, Kodiak Cannedy of Greenville has pinned his way through 3 state tourneys and hasn’t ever given up an offensive point.  That young man is yet to win a MOW award.  If that isn’t dominant I don’t know what is, but a kid who wins a close match in the finals will win it. Just a little baffling to me 

Sid Mason

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

I personally hate that coaches vote on MOW. It just makes it a popularity contest, I wish it was based on some type of criteria.  

Case and point, Kodiak Cannedy of Greenville has pinned his way through 3 state tourneys and hasn’t ever given up an offensive point.  That young man is yet to win a MOW award.  If that isn’t dominant I don’t know what is, but a kid who wins a close match in the finals will win it. Just a little baffling to me 

Sid Mason

Now this I agree with (establishing criteria).  If things really are that bad then everyone should lobby for some sort of criteria.  

Who won AA Sid? I'm not looking to knock anybody just curious.

Never mind, I found out who won it in AA.  

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chalupaking said:

If pinning your way through tournament is your guidelines then the stud on your team shouldn’t have won MOW 3 years in a row since he didn’t pin his way through the tournament once. Still one of the best and love to watch him on the mat but definitely not the best overall in the State Tournament. Coaches/voters are biased in this State and all one has to do is look at the results. 

LoL.  I just saw that Baylor's 145 stud pinned his way through but didn't win MOW while McCallie's 170 had not one but two TFs and won MOW.   I guess that wasn't worth complaining about.  No conspiracies in D2 land.  Now don't go getting mad because I know how good Whitworth is and I'm not mad at all as I'm sure he deserved it, 100%, but I do find it funny that one of the main arguments was Tre not pinning his way through.  Jeebus....

Edited by oceansize42

10 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

LoL.  I just saw that Baylor's 145 stud pinned his way through but didn't win MOW while McCallie's 170 had not one but two TFs and won MOW.   I guess that wasn't worth complaining about.  No conspiracies in D2 land.  Now don't go getting mad because I know how good Whitworth is and I'm not mad at all as I'm sure he deserved it, 100%, but I do find it funny that one of the main arguments was Tre not pinning his way through.  Jeebus....

Ocean, was your comment directed at Durden’s comments or mine? You replied to mine so my response would be in D2, I believe Peterson or Harper should have won it. Since there is no criteria for such an award, we are stuck with the way it is and has been for years. 

3 minutes ago, Chalupaking said:

Ocean, was your comment directed at Durden’s comments or mine? You replied to mine so my response would be in D2, I believe Peterson or Harper should have won it. Since there is no criteria for such an award, we are stuck with the way it is and has been for years. 

To you since you made me aware of the scenario in D2 but I was definitely poking durdon a bit for the double standard since durdon was hanging his hat on Cody pinning his way through where as Tre had a 17-2 TF.  In fairness durdon is also saying 145 was harder but for me, meh, splitting hairs.

2 hours ago, Chalupaking said:

The D2 coaches use the OW award in D2 as a wrestler of the year award and the D2 OW award is not related to tournament performance.  Not saying that it’s the correct criteria but that’s the way they handle it.  At least with D2 you can define why they give out the OW award to a particular wrestler each year. 

It would be nice if the D2 coaches had a Wrestler of the year award and a separate Tournament OW award.