AA Substate Predictions

sportslover88

6 hours ago, logcabinman said:

We played Meigs and Macon, both teams had 5 senior players that started and played most of the game.  What about other teams still in tournament?  Are they senior heavy, young, etc.  McMinn Central played 1 senior, 6  juniors, and 2 freshman consistently, and carried no sophmores.

Westview starts 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 stud sophomore and then first one off the bench is a freshman

17 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

Westview starts 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 stud sophomore and then first one off the bench is a freshman

It is also said that Westview is supposed to be just as good if not better next season with another big time player coming from the middle school next season. The freshman and sophomore class at Westview now won it all in middle school so I expect them to be pretty sharp.

10 hours ago, Kiddmaximus said:

It is also said that Westview is supposed to be just as good if not better next season with another big time player coming from the middle school next season. The freshman and sophomore class at Westview now won it all in middle school so I expect them to be pretty sharp.

As is evidence from the last decade, Westview is the type of team that just reloads every year. Good middle school program and tradition, keep feeding the beast. The big issue, much like this year, will be getting those bench players plugged into their roles as starters or bigger contributors. Sometimes that happens quickly, other times it takes time. I know they've got some good young shooters on the team. Didn't get the chance to see this middle school stud, but know they've always got good talent coming up the pipe.

52 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

As is evidence from the last decade, Westview is the type of team that just reloads every year. Good middle school program and tradition, keep feeding the beast. The big issue, much like this year, will be getting those bench players plugged into their roles as starters or bigger contributors. Sometimes that happens quickly, other times it takes time. I know they've got some good young shooters on the team. Didn't get the chance to see this middle school stud, but know they've always got good talent coming up the pipe.

This stud is an excellent ball handler, can shoot the 3 with good range, can attack the basket with a quick step off the dribble, and is a natural born leader. Teams won't be able to leave her and help on Jada. They play well together. She will be starting for them next year! She also has basketball in her DNA as she is Ashley McElhiney's niece (and Kellie's daughter). 

You're right. They need bench players to step up and provide that spark off the bench!

1 minute ago, AAFEVER said:

Then why, if they are so good do they play a 2-3 zone? Just asking. If they have so much talent year after year. 

It's more of a half court trapping defense than a regular sit back 2-3. This is the first year they have played it all season. In years passed, they usually play man to man

1 minute ago, sportslover88 said:

It's more of a half court trapping defense than a regular sit back 2-3. This is the first year they have played it all season. In years passed, they usually play man to man

Ok, just watched a couple of games and all I seen was zone. If the athletes are there like you say and they are so good, turn them loose. Don't know many colleges looking for kids that can't defend. Good luck to you.

1 minute ago, AAFEVER said:

Ok, just watched a couple of games and all I seen was zone. If the athletes are there like you say and they are so good, turn them loose. Don't know many colleges looking for kids that can't defend. Good luck to you.

So a zone defense means that players can't play defense? Do you watch much college basketball? There are some very successful programs that play zone defense

If I'm Haskins, I'm running a 2-3 zone also!!! He has 3 of the tallest and strongest kids on the floor in nearly every game he plays with the Leyhue's and Barr. This comes down to player personnel. Westview has the advantage in the paint defensively and you're one and done on missed shots because they're getting the rebound. Westview is giving up roughly 30 PPG this season. I would say a 2-3 zone is the go-to.

Edited by GCPioneer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AAFEVER said:

Then why, if they are so good do they play a 2-3 zone? Just asking. If they have so much talent year after year. 

I wouldn't say they are any more talented than in past seasons, possibly a touch less. As others have noted they have a TON of length. Pair of twins who play wing that are over six foot and a post player who is over six foot (even Jada, their PG, is physically imposing). That being said, they aren't the quickest as a team, so they shore up the lack of speed by playing zone and using their length to their advantage. They played a quick South Side team and did just fine playing it. In years past they had more speed, so could play a lot faster.

Also, as others mentioned, it is an active zone. They don't just sit and let you pick the zone apart. They do a good job trapping and disrupting in it. 

• Like 1