Greenbrier @ Springfield week 1

Kevin38

I’m going to draw some fire for this probably, but it’s my honest opinion. I don’t really care for this game for the Jackets when it’s an out of region contest. I get it’s a “rivalry” being the next town over and it brings a nice gate and yes the gate is important in today’s world of finance in athletics. From a competition point of view though it’s usually not that beneficial for Springfield, maybe 1 out of every 5 years the Bobcats can hang around. I’d much rather see us go back to playing Father Ryan or one of the other Nashville privates for our opener. They’d be a decent gate and even better competition on a consistent bases and that pays now and down the playoff road…..

4 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

@JacketLover I am guessing that the Bobcats didn't want anything to do with Coach Smith prior to 87

Coach Smith always played a tough schedule as Coach Pearson did when he was here. Coach Pearson made it known that he wanted to stay AAA before Springfield dropped to AA in 87 I believe. That’s why he left to go to Dickson County. I believe Springfield could’ve won a state title or two in the early 90s had he stayed. 

I’ve heard stories of some players from Springfield and GB playing backyard games some weekends back in the 70s.  

3 hours ago, Poundtherock23 said:

I’m going to draw some fire for this probably, but it’s my honest opinion. I don’t really care for this game for the Jackets when it’s an out of region contest. I get it’s a “rivalry” being the next town over and it brings a nice gate and yes the gate is important in today’s world of finance in athletics. From a competition point of view though it’s usually not that beneficial for Springfield, maybe 1 out of every 5 years the Bobcats can hang around. I’d much rather see us go back to playing Father Ryan or one of the other Nashville privates for our opener. They’d be a decent gate and even better competition on a consistent bases and that pays now and down the playoff road…..

I’d rather scrimmage the private schools than put them on the schedule. That’s just my 2 cents

I since a little underestimating going on in Springfield this week.  That's good for us! I will be surprised if Springfield scores more than two TD's.  Bobcats defense is pretty good.  Special teams is above par.  Our offense for the past two years has seen its ups and downs.  Mainly because we have left out some skilled players on offense.   QB #12 is the real deal, but everyone is hung up on him being 5'10 195lbs.  Spread the field and let him toss it to one of our D1 prospects or take off running.  Do that, and Bobcats get their first win vs Springfield in a long time.  Rain could be a factor in this game as well.  Last year was a muddy mess. 

3 hours ago, ogor said:

I since a little underestimating going on in Springfield this week.  That's good for us! I will be surprised if Springfield scores more than two TD's.  Bobcats defense is pretty good.  Special teams is above par.  Our offense for the past two years has seen its ups and downs.  Mainly because we have left out some skilled players on offense.   QB #12 is the real deal, but everyone is hung up on him being 5'10 195lbs.  Spread the field and let him toss it to one of our D1 prospects or take off running.  Do that, and Bobcats get their first win vs Springfield in a long time.  Rain could be a factor in this game as well.  Last year was a muddy mess. 

Have you seen the score predictions so far in this thread, they all appear to be closer picks than in years past, and I attribute that to an endorsement for the Bobcats more so than a knock on the Jackets. The one poster said he would rather play a Nashville private school than you guys because it would consistently be more beneficial in the long run. I personally agree with that take, you get more from actual games with elite competition than you do in scrims...

My take on this game, Greenbrier looks better from what I have seen in scrim highlights and I believe they will play the Jackets tough. However I believe SPT has the better over all talent and the coaches will not allow them to over look the Bobcats, it will be close for awhile and then the Jackets pull away. Good luck holding them to 2 score or less, I dont see it.....

SPT - 31

GHS - 17  

Edited by Kevin38

3 hours ago, ogor said:

Bobcats have got a few good players no doubt. What’s your score prediction?

6 hours ago, ogor said:

2 hours ago, brian2000 said:

Bobcats have got a few good players no doubt. What’s your score prediction?

59 minutes ago, eers said:

Will someone let me in on who the D1 prospects are at Greenbrier?

At the Jamboree last week, I thought the MLB and #24 looked good on D.  I am sorry I missed the D-1 players on offense.  I will look for them in earnest Friday night 

jackets-21

bobcats-16

Edited by TheCommissioner