Covington @ Munford - 8/19/21

CHARGERFAN

Covington opens the 2021 season at Munford. Note that this is a Thursday night game. Covington has held the advantage over Munford for a few seasons now, but I expect a closer game this year. The Charger offense is still explosive, led by Jalen Fayne at QB and Jamarion Dowell at running back. I think that our defense is going to be good once Coach Kirby works out a few kinks. The Charger place kicker/punter is sophomore Gabe Wellentin. His kicking looks great so far. 

Munford was rolling over Obion Central when I left last night’s jamboree. Their running back, Auvic White, is supposed to be really good. They looked dominant in that event, so we will see what happens when the rubber meets the road for real on Thursday. These two squads always get hyped for this inter-county rivalry. The winner get 12 months of bragging rights.

5 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I would be very happy to win by that margin, but I’m not promising that. I’ll be happy to just start the season 1-0. 

Munford looked like a good football team. Do think Covington will load up on the run and force the QB to beat them throwing the football. Could be a 4th quarter game.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Munford looked like a good football team. Do think Covington will load up on the run and force the QB to beat them throwing the football. Could be a 4th quarter game.

I do believe that Covington will be tough against the run. That is our strength. I suspect that Munford will need to pass to move the ball on our D.  And, unless we have gotten a lot better in the defensive backfield since the Huntingdon scrimmage, Munford could have success throwing the ball.

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I do believe that Covington will be tough against the run. That is our strength. I suspect that Munford will need to pass to move the ball on our D.  And, unless we have gotten a lot better in the defensive backfield since the Huntingdon scrimmage, Munford could have success throwing the ball.

If they stop the run I feel they will be OK. Munford struggled passing the football Friday Night.