D2 AAA

plato

I've been around, more reading than writing though. Without any weekly broadcast prep work to do, I've seen considerably fewer games in 2021 compared with some years past.

There were play-by-play ideas pitched to me for this fall that I thought were a year too soon given how ambitious some were. And, ultimately, I was proven correct.

But I'm looking into possibilities for 2022. I want to talk with schools that wish to broadcast road games but are unable to do so.

You'd think the Bishop's Cup would be right up ESPN's alley. And particularly after the Bishop Sycamore debacle, a bit of authenticity would be nice.

Speaking of which, my TV news producer instinct was right about Bishop Sycamore... in 2019.

Look at the visitor side stands in the tweet embedded below. I found it unsettling to the point of taking screencaps at the time.

No family. No cheerleaders. No classmates. No alumni.

No identity.

I specialize in figuring out things others don't want figured out, but I couldn't crack this one. Some time later, I discovered why.

14 hours ago, TTate said:

Good grief…calm down.  I’m a parent and parents are happy.  Do you really think Trent is recruiting players from all across the country?  How would you even do that?Do you know these players? Do you think he recruited Luther? (Never one snap of varsity football).  Did he recruit Phil Dawson and his son Beau?  Did he recruit Sam Rousch from California? Believe what you want but families are moving to Nashville (in case you haven’t read the papers) and some of the ones with football players are choosing Lipscomb….and he “hung” 65 on only one local team (independence) and it could’ve been a hundred…scored 45 against FRA last night and no starters played the 2nd half.  He is not evil.  The LA community really likes Trent and Coach Mac as well.

Also, Trent is 1-2 vs CPA….not 0-10.

Tune in Thursday…should be a good one.

Why did Mr. Wonderful feel the need to onside kick up 21-0 in the first quarter?

Ask your headmaster about his halftime meeting. There  is a reason the lifer Lippy kids played the whole 2nd half. Guess you didn't want folks to know about that.  Now let's see how you spin this.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

21 hours ago, cbg said:

As you probably know I said nothing that is not true!  The issue that I have is that over the past several years those individuals (Board of Trust & Jim McIntyre) have refused to take the necessary steps to truly fix the football program.  Great facilities, shinny new weight rooms, and all the cliches that anyone can quote do not win football games.  Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top.  There is a reason that MBA, Ensworth, McCallie, Baylor, CBHS and now Pope John Paul II have successful football programs.  Everyone even remotely involved with the athletic program must be pulling on the same end of the rope. At FR you have several alumni that have coached at the college level or are currently very successful coaches at the high school level.  From what I have been told most all of those individuals feel as if they have been pushed out of the picture and their opinions are not valued.  You have people making football decisions that have never played a down of college football.  Why not take advantage of alumni that are free resources?

Two questions.

1) Could it be that McIntyre and the FR BOT do not want the dynamic or culture of the school to change?  

2) I have heard that financial aid at FR and Pope go to Catholic families first.  FR is probably 90%+ Catholic so the Catholic families would consume the brunt of the financial aid budget.  Any truth to this?

21 hours ago, fb247 said:

Please use a better example for a coach that Dilfer. ...............

................   Games are won with leadership, sweat equity along with really hard work and that starts at the very top and Dilfer is none of these.

so if ant nobody leadin them church christ players....... and they ant puttin any sweatin time in.....and they are just loungin around with their feet up everyday at practice....

....then how them church christers kickin everybodys Hillary by the tune of bout 49-12 over the last 18 contest

.... most games are won with better players

Booger just sayin ;)

3 hours ago, JRB said:

Two questions.

1) Could it be that McIntyre and the FR BOT do not want the dynamic or culture of the school to change?  

2) I have heard that financial aid at FR and Pope go to Catholic families first.  FR is probably 90%+ Catholic so the Catholic families would consume the brunt of the financial aid budget.  Any truth to this?

The numbers  that I am being told are the following:  In 2010 FR was about 95% Catholic and this year that number is closer to 75%.  Why the change, I don’t have a clue other than to say the tuition even with financial aid is much too expensive for a greater number of Catholic families.  One thing that I do know is that there are a large percentage of alumni that do not even apply for admission to Father Ryan due to the high price of tuition.  Those families send their children to school in one of the surrounding counties where the education is much better than Davidson County.  

With regards to Pope John Paul II the numbers that I have been told for several years are that the student body is roughly 65% non Catholic and 35% Catholic.  Again, I have no way of verifying those numbers.  I do know several non Catholic families in Sumner County that sent their children to Pope John Paul II.  One thing that I can say is that before PJP II was built a survey was done to find the best place to build a new Catholic high school in Middle Tennessee.  What I have been told by numerous people is the numbers of the survey reflected that it should be built in Southern Williamson County but that didn’t happen because the Bishop at that time wanted to place it in Sumner County.    

I have no way of knowing if Catholic families are prioritized to receive financial aid before non Catholic families but that does seem reasonable as it is a Catholic school.  The issue with the financial aid from what I understand is two fold:

1.  There are 3 different clearing houses to determine how much financial aid a family may receive.  I have been told that Father Ryan uses the most conservative of those clearing houses therefore families do not qualify for as much money.

2.  It has been reported for several years that Father Ryan only grants families 50% of the financial aid that they qualify for.  Basically if tuition is $20,000 per year and a family qualifies for $10,000 the family would only be offered $5000.00.  That families tuition for the year would be $15,000.  It’s difficult to attract middle and working class families with those numbers and you don’t win state championships with rich kids.   

I will say that I have been out of the loop for several years so I do not know if the above mentioned policies are still in place.  Schools are much like politicians in that what they say one morning is not what they are saying that evening.  

Edited by cbg

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

One thing that I can say is that before PJP II was built a survey was done to find the best place to build a new Catholic high school in Middle Tennessee.  What I have been told by numerous people is the numbers of the survey reflected that it should be built in Southern Williamson County but that didn’t happen because the Bishop at that time wanted to place it in Sumner County.    

Thanks CBG.  Funny, after putting 2 kids through Pope and having several friends sit on the Board of Trustees, I do not know how financial aid works.

I know the Diocese bought land in Nolensville for a future school, supposedly 6-12, to support the growth in Wiliamson and Rutherford counties.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JRB said:

Thanks CBG.  Funny, after putting 2 kids through Pope and having several friends sit on the Board of Trustees, I do not know how financial aid works.

I know the Diocese bought land in Nolensville for a future school, supposedly 6-12, to support the growth in Wiliamson and Rutherford counties.

My apologies for not fully answering both of your questions:  IMO, Jim McIntyre and the Board of Trust have already changed the makeup of the student body. Unlike the typical diocesan high school Father Ryan is primarily made up of upper middle class families much like Bishop Lynch in Dallas, TX which is the school that Jim McIntyre attended for high school.  You don’t win state championships with kids from affluent families.  You must have a mix of working class kids and affluent kids mixed together to have an elite athletic department.  The facilities and academics are light years ahead of where they were 25 years ago but the overall athletic department (especially football) is worse than it has ever been in the history of the school.  When you have people that are allowed to have input with regards to the football program that have never played the game past grade school you have a major problem.  There are numerous Father Ryan alumni that have both played and coached football at the college & professional level but their opinions are currently not wanted by Jim McIntyre or the Board of Trust.

Edited by cbg

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Why did Mr. Wonderful feel the need to onside kick up 21-0 in the first quarter?

Ask your headmaster about his halftime meeting. There  is a reason the lifer Lippy kids played the whole 2nd half. Guess you didn't want folks to know about that.  Now let's see how you spin this.

So you’re saying Trent would have kept the starters in to begin the second half but our headmaster (Brad) had a meeting with Trent at halftime to tell him not to do that and play the Lipscomb lifers?  And Trent said ok??

I’m not going to spin anything…just facts.  Do you know how many lifers we have that are juniors and seniors that don’t start? 6 or 7…and they have played a ton this year.

Also…Our headmaster wasn’t at the game Friday.  Spin that.

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Also..don’t want to keep going back and forth with you…have no idea what your connection is with Lipscomb.  I’m a parent and am extremely happy with Coach Dilfer and the current direction of the academy.  You’re not…and that’s your opinion.  I’m sure that a few are not but a lot are.  I loved Mac and I love Tilman…but we needed a change and we got one.  I sincerely hope if you’re an ex LA player, you’ll come to games and get to know coach Dilfer and the program.  You obviously have friends that are insiders (albeit misinformed).  If you’re not affiliated with Lipscomb then please go away.

10 hours ago, TTate said:

So you’re saying Trent would have kept the starters in to begin the second half but our headmaster (Brad) had a meeting with Trent at halftime to tell him not to do that and play the Lipscomb lifers?  And Trent said ok??

I’m not going to spin anything…just facts.  Do you know how many lifers we have that are juniors and seniors that don’t start? 6 or 7…and they have played a ton this year.

Also…Our headmaster wasn’t at the game Friday.  Spin that.

1. Ask Brad who he talked, well actually listened to, at halftime.

2. You haven't answered why did he feel the need to onside kick up 21-0 in first quarter.