D2 AAA

plato

2 hours ago, runtheball said:

I am guessing you have been around as long as I have so give me your opinion of all the talented athletes in the 60's that played at a high level in college and even the pros without spring football, all the year conditioning , sport specialization, weight training , summer camps, 7 on 7, and these so called trainers , FR has plenty of players on there current football team as do many schools. What is missing with those not winning is players with better talent. I remember a Pearl team with players in low 20's , not Pearl Cohn, that beat an MBA Tommy Owen team with 90 players and beat them at MBA on homecoming. It always has been about players and always will be. 

Let's remember that this is just my personal opinion:

First of all I am a little to young to remember the players from the early 60's but I have sure heard all about how great they were.  

With regards to training year around for any sport or being a single sport athlete I am definitely against it.  I am a major proponent of high school athletes being in a very structured year around and mandatory speed & strength program regardless of the sports  they play.  Since this is a football board I will begin with playing football in the Fall (IMO both school and football begin much to early in Tennessee but that is a discussion for another day), basketball or wrestling in the winter (all of my football players that don't play basketball would be required to wrestle.  It makes kids so much tougher both mentally and physically and the risk for injury is really low) and track & field, baseball or soccer in the Spring.  Now the question is always ask how do you do strength & conditioning during all of these sports.  Lifting days during football season are as follows (I actually got this from Bob Ladouceur when I lived in the Bay Area).  Saturday morning at 9:00am you have a good 1.5 hour workout.  Bob liked to have a good look at his players and make sure that no one needed treatment.  If you play on Friday evening and you don't see the players until Monday afternoon at practice you have missed over 48 hours without treatment and there is a good chance they will not be 100% for the next game.  Monday morning before school you have strength training for 1 hour.  The kids have every opportunity to get in bed early on Sunday evening and should be completely rested for the Monday morning workout before school.  You get another good workout in on Thursday afternoon before practice.  Thursday is normally a walk thru for most teams and should take no more than 1 hour and then you get in a 1 hour lift.  

When it comes to Spring Practice & 7 on 7 for football I don't really care as long as the athletes are not being told (directly or indirectly) that in order to play they don't need to be participating in another sport.  From what I have been told Carlton Flatt had the best idea when it came to Spring Practice.  The kids would lift for 1 hour and then go to track practice.  When Spring Practice began for football they would lift for 1 hour and then go to spring practice for football.  If they had a track meet then they were excused from football to participate in the track meet.  I don't know the current spring practice rules but if you are allowed X number of days then you just work around the track & field schedule.   It's not one or two months of spring practice.  This can be worked out if people are willing to work together for the end goal which is a great athletic department.  The same thing goes for 7 on 7 in the Summer.  If the kids have Summer baseball game on the night of 7 on 7 I personally would excuse them to play baseball.  

With all of this being said all the coaches at a high school "MUST" be on the same page and willing to share athletes.  Emmit Smith talks about playing a baseball game in the afternoon and changing in into his track uniform while driving to the track meet that evening.  Again, the coaches must share the good athletes if the school is to have a great athletic program.  

Edited by cbg

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Let's remember that this is just my personal opinion:

First of all I am a little to young to remember the players from the early 60's but I have sure heard all about how great they were.  

With regards to training year around for any sport or being a single sport athlete I am definitely against it.  I am a major proponent of high school athletes being in a very structured year around and mandatory speed & strength program regardless of the sports  they play.  Since this is a football board I will begin with playing football in the Fall (IMO both school and football begin much to early in Tennessee but that is a discussion for another day), basketball or wrestling in the winter (all of my football players that don't play basketball would be required to wrestle.  It makes kids so much tougher both mentally and physically and the risk for injury is really low) and track & field, baseball or soccer in the Spring.  Now the question is always ask how do you do strength & conditioning during all of these sports.  Lifting days during football season are as follows (I actually got this from Bob Ladouceur when I lived in the Bay Area).  Saturday morning at 9:00am you have a good 1.5 hour workout.  Bob liked to have a good look at his players and make sure that no one needed treatment.  If you play on Friday evening and you don't see the players until Monday afternoon at practice you have missed over 48 hours without treatment and there is a good chance they will not be 100% for the next game.  Monday morning before school you have strength training for 1 hour.  The kids have every opportunity to get in bed early on Sunday evening and should be completely rested for the Monday morning workout before school.  You get another good workout in on Thursday afternoon before practice.  Thursday is normally a walk thru for most teams and should take no more than 1 hour and then you get in a 1 hour lift.  

When it comes to Spring Practice & 7 on 7 for football I don't really care as long as the athletes are not being told (directly or indirectly) that in order to play they don't need to be participating in another sport.  From what I have been told Carlton Flatt had the best idea when it came to Spring Practice.  The kids would lift for 1 hour and then go to track practice.  When Spring Practice began for football they would lift for 1 hour and then go to spring practice for football.  If they had a track meet then they were excused from football to participate in the track meet.  I don't know the current spring practice rules but if you are allowed X number of days then you just work around the track & field schedule.   It's not one or two months of spring practice.  This can be worked out if people are willing to work together for the end goal which is a great athletic department.  The same thing goes for 7 on 7 in the Summer.  If the kids have Summer baseball game on the night of 7 on 7 I personally would excuse them to play baseball.  

With all of this being said all the coaches at a high school "MUST" be on the same page and willing to share athletes.  Emmit Smith talks about playing a baseball game in the afternoon and changing in into his track uniform while driving to the track meet that evening.  Again, the coaches must share the good athletes if the school is to have a great athletic program.  

Too many coaches now do not see it this way.

32 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

If you really check closely you will find that very few coaches that demand kids be a single sport athlete are  very successful when you look at the amount of time they spend on that one sport.  studies have found that kids that play multiple sports have a much higher GPA and very few discipline problems.

46 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Being an older guy I remember a principal that told all coaches that when your sport is over, it is over. Nothing with that sport till next season. Any coach not doing this will not be coaching here. So kids in his school could freely play 3 sports and in the summer be a kid. Many good players played in college and beyond.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2021 at 11:32 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

I look at high school athletics as a vehicle for teaching life lessons: working hard to achieve goals, making the most of what you have, working with others to achieve a common goal etc.

I do not see it as a vehicle for one person to stroke his massive ego. 

We both know the only reason you didn't move up was because Ingle out coached him and denied his ego trip. Now he goes out and brings in still more out of state kids until he can be victorious. Maybe.

Heck this year it would have been easier to win AAA.

Explain to me then how his ego would allow him to schedule an away game against Oakland and Knox Catholic.

I get that you either hate Lipscomb or hate Trent or both….but your rants are all over the place and rarely make sense.

2 hours ago, JRB said:

Now, onto this week’s games.  There are only two region games scheduled.

BA @ MBA

Ensworth @ SBA (Covid)

Briarcrest @ Hardin Academy

Baylor @ Ooltewah

Pure @ CBHS

FRHS @ Bowling Green

BGA @ Pope

Ridgeway @ MUS

Knox Catholic (Bye)

McCallie (Bye)

Ba/mba will be interesting. Marcel Reed needs help up front. I haven’t seen ba this year other than a few minutes of the cpa game. With everyone that graduated/transferred I see mba winning a close one. Could easily be wrong!

Edited by Ballfan4562

9 hours ago, Ballfan4562 said:

Ba/mba will be interesting. Marcel Reed needs help up front. I haven’t seen ba this year other than a few minutes of the cpa game. With everyone that graduated/transferred I see mba winning a close one. Could easily be wrong!

Why are BA players transferring? 

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

Just curious, what is Buck's connection with Oakland?  Why is a guy who played in Metro and whose dad is a long-time Metro coach sending kids to Rutherford County? 

It's in his interest for kids he has worked with or knows to go on to D1 schools.  Oakland is a good place for them to do that and the school work is less challenging then the private schools which may be more appealing to the kids.  Also, I wonder if some of the private school coaches are getting tired of all the "outside help" these kids are paying for, weather its NPA or others.