D2 AAA

plato

4 hours ago, plato said:

Why are BA players transferring? 

After browsing on T for a while, I saw this post and felt compelled to make an account. I have been in the loop about what goes on at BA on the inside for over 10 years now for various reasons. The reason that BA has had players transferring over the last few years, is that the administration/Board of Trustees and headmaster have decided to start moving the school in a way that will negatively affect the school going forward athletically, especially in football. The days of BA getting guys like King Dunlap, Derek Barnett, CJ Sanders, Jalen Ramsey, Ryan Carruthers, Brandon Adams, and the long list of current and former D1 explosive athletes, are likely over for BA, at least for the foreseeable future. This started right before Ralph Potter left, but really ramped up when Coach Ab and Coach Pittman left the school, and the team is just now feeling the affects of this as it takes several seasons before these effects hit. The great teams BA had from 2015-2018 and even before that were essentially guys that came in from the UNA/Brentwood Blaze pipeline and mostly mix of working class families and wealthy families. BA recently has started to stray away from that among other things, and has led to things such as losing to CPA and Briarcrest, as well as not making playoffs in 2019. None of those things were even a possibility in previous years at the school simply due to the talent level alone on the team and other things. Also, imo Buck is not having that much of an effect on where these kids go. They want to play for a winning team and get exposure and not have to pay a lot of $$ for it, so they go to mainly public schools now or D2AA instead of D2AAA. I know for a fact that there were a few guys that were former BA players in last few years that went to NPA for training and Buck did not help any of them get offers, because they got them on their own. Private school coaches honestly do not care about things like NPA as they have a lot of things on their plate to deal with just at their own school, let alone a personal trainer

I went back and watched most of Pope Prep at Baylor. JP2 led 21-14 at the half.

Pope Prep made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes with fumbles. The fumble that Baylor took back for six happened shortly after Pope had forced a turnover on downs with a great stand.

Both teams are tough to run up the middle against. Pope Prep used a lot of bubble/WR screens, anything to get the ball to playmakers outside the middle.

Baylor found some success via ILB pass rushes.

Baylor WR #10 is extremely elusive. RB #4 has great lateral movement. Two very good teams there.

7 hours ago, LouPickney said:

I went back and watched most of Pope Prep at Baylor. JP2 led 21-14 at the half.

Pope Prep made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes with fumbles. The fumble that Baylor took back for six happened shortly after Pope had forced a turnover on downs with a great stand.

Both teams are tough to run up the middle against. Pope Prep used a lot of bubble/WR screens, anything to get the ball to playmakers outside the middle.

Baylor found some success via ILB pass rushes.

Baylor WR #10 is extremely elusive. RB #4 has great lateral movement. Two very good teams there.

Yes, two fumbles that led directly to TD's did not help the cause.  With a QB with multiple SEC offers, I would like them to open the playbook and throw the ball down field more.  Between their effective running game and bubble screens, the "shots" down field must be there.  

On 9/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, 6one5 said:

The reason that BA has had players transferring over the last few years, is that the administration/Board of Trustees and headmaster have decided to start moving the school in a way that will negatively affect the school going forward athletically, especially in football. 

Interesting 6one5.  Guessing the "directional move" was around financial aid.  Was the desired outcome from HM and BOT realized?  BA athletics - at least on the men's side- has been down significantly the past 3 years.

10 hours ago, JRB said:

Interesting 6one5.  Guessing the "directional move" was around financial aid.  Was the desired outcome from HM and BOT realized?  BA athletics - at least on the men's side- has been down significantly the past 3 years.

If a private school does not have a strong Board of Trust that demands excellence in both academics and athletics they will have major problems.  Most headmasters are educators and really don’t understand or care about having a great athletic program.  The primary responsibility of the headmaster is to raise money and the working class families that it takes to win in football don’t have the money to donate back to the school.  The Board of Trust must demand excellence in everything.  If Brentwood Academy is truly having problems its because the headmaster has stacked to Board of Trust with individuals that are going to vote the way that he wants them to.  Just look at what has happened to the once proud athletic program at Father Ryan!  You are in for a bumpy ride to the bottom.

14 hours ago, JRB said:

Last year, their football team was undefeated until they lost in the semi's to the overall winner, and the basketball team lost in the State finals.  If thats a down year, its really hard to have a good year.

2 hours ago, O3t said:

Last year, their football team was undefeated until they lost in the semi's to the overall winner, and the basketball team lost in the State finals.  If thats a down year, its really hard to have a good year.

I do not disagree with some of the success BA had last year however I still stand by my comment that the talent level is down.  Further I would add the talent across the region, at least in the mid-state, has been down. 

Three games I tried my best to follow tonight.

-Father Ryan 38, Bowling Green 14

Don't sleep on that Father Ryan defense. They did a good job containing an elusive QB tonight.

Big game next week at home against Knoxville Catholic. Lose that and FRHS will be all but drawing dead at 0-3 in the region.

-Pope Prep 52, BGA 35, 0:14 Q3. The over-modulated audio on NFHS is killing me. Please fix that, JP2. Your team deserves better.

-MBA is up 21-0 against BA on Channel 30.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, 6one5 said:

After browsing on T for a while, I saw this post and felt compelled to make an account. I have been in the loop about what goes on at BA on the inside for over 10 years now for various reasons. The reason that BA has had players transferring over the last few years, is that the administration/Board of Trustees and headmaster have decided to start moving the school in a way that will negatively affect the school going forward athletically, especially in football. The days of BA getting guys like King Dunlap, Derek Barnett, CJ Sanders, Jalen Ramsey, Ryan Carruthers, Brandon Adams, and the long list of current and former D1 explosive athletes, are likely over for BA, at least for the foreseeable future. This started right before Ralph Potter left, but really ramped up when Coach Ab and Coach Pittman left the school, and the team is just now feeling the affects of this as it takes several seasons before these effects hit. The great teams BA had from 2015-2018 and even before that were essentially guys that came in from the UNA/Brentwood Blaze pipeline and mostly mix of working class families and wealthy families. BA recently has started to stray away from that among other things, and has led to things such as losing to CPA and Briarcrest, as well as not making playoffs in 2019. None of those things were even a possibility in previous years at the school simply due to the talent level alone on the team and other things. Also, imo Buck is not having that much of an effect on where these kids go. They want to play for a winning team and get exposure and not have to pay a lot of $$ for it, so they go to mainly public schools now or D2AA instead of D2AAA. I know for a fact that there were a few guys that were former BA players in last few years that went to NPA for training and Buck did not help any of them get offers, because they got them on their own. Private school coaches honestly do not care about things like NPA as they have a lot of things on their plate to deal with just at their own school, let alone a personal trainer

Watching BA tonight it is definitely beginning to show. Smallest line I have seen since the Irvin Paisley days. 

I understand they needed to patch things up over there, though. They had drifted far away from the Duncan Prep design. Kudos to them for making that decision. 

35 minutes ago, LouPickney said:

Three games I tried my best to follow tonight.

-Father Ryan 38, Bowling Green 14

Don't sleep on that Father Ryan defense. They did a good job containing an elusive QB tonight.

Big game next week at home against Knoxville Catholic. Lose that and FRHS will be all but drawing dead at 0-3 in the region.

-Pope Prep 52, BGA 35, 0:14 Q3. The over-modulated audio on NFHS is killing me. Please fix that, JP2. Your team deserves better.

-MBA is up 21-0 against BA on Channel 30.

Lou- the audio part was via WHIN radio.  It was bad - and so were the defenses.  It was like watching an intramural flag football game.  BGA's RB was very shifty.  Up next for Pope, MBA. 

16 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Watching BA tonight it is definitely beginning to show. Smallest line I have seen since the Irvin Paisley days. 

I understand they needed to patch things up over there, though. They had drifted far away from the Duncan Prep design. Kudos to them for making that decision. 

What's the word on the campus of BA? Getting shutout by MBA. Don't know how the playoffs work, but are they in peril about not making the playoffs? 

20 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

This decision is not a good one. They are pushing away families that they used to be able to attract to go there and afford to go there, in favor of wealthier affluent families. BA is going the wrong direction and I know personally many alumni who are upset about this and will not send their children there going forward.