Rural West TN Top 12 Week 2

24 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Here's a week 3 look at the Massey Ratings.  The first set of parentheses following the teams name is where he ranks them in the state.  The second set of parentheses indicates who the team will play this week along with his predicted point spread.

1.  Haywood (38)  (at Crockett Co., Haywood by 24)
2.  Covington (45)  (open)
3.  Hardin Co. (57)  (Jackson South Side, Hardin Co. by 28)
4.  Dyersburg (66)  (Bolton, Dyersburg by 28) (this game has been cancelled due to Covid issues at Bolton)
5.  Peabody (69) (open)
6.  Henry Co. (86)  (Kenwood, Henry Co. by 16)
7.  South Gibson (88)  at Milan, Milan by 8
8.  Brighton (95)  (at Memphis Overton, Brighton by 3)
9.  Milan (97)  (South Gibson, Milan by 8)
10.  USJ (105)  (at Tipton-Rosemark, USJ by 24)  
11. Ripley (117)  (Bolivar Central, Ripley by 24)
12. McKenzie (127)  (at South Fulton, McKenzie by 32)

Sidenotes:

I know the Massey Ratings are objective rather than subjective.
In a subjective poll:

I think Massey's top 5 are pretty solid, but their positions could be interchangeable.
I think I might throw out Brighton and Ripley and replace them with Riverside and Westview.  I also  think McKenzie should be ranked higher than 12.
It's strange that Massey's data and computers rank South Gibson over Milan,  yet Milan is computed to be an 8 point favorite over SGC.  I would flip the two.  
At this point in the season,  I believe Milan is far better than what they are being given credit for.

As for Sonny Moore's Power Ratings for Week 3 - The first set of parentheses indicates the team's record, the second set the team's rank in the state, the third set the team's power rating.  When figuring point spreads I rounded the PR to the nearest whole number and added 2 points for HFA.
 1.  COVINGTON (2-0) (17)  (139.35) - open                               
 2.  PEABODY (2-0) (23) (137.07) - open                                 
 3.  HARDIN COUNTY (2-0) (26)  (135.04) - South Side, Hardin Co. by 37                    
 4.  HAYWOOD  (1-0) (34) (133.64) - at Crockett Co., Haywood by 25
 5.   MILAN (1-1) (36) (132.69) - South Gibson, Milan by 12                   
 6.   HENRY COUNTY (0-2) (54) (128.26) - Kenwood, Henry Co. by  32                        
 7.  USJ (1-1) (56) (128.00) - at Tipton-Rosemark, USJ by 57
 8.  McKENZIE (2-0) (70) (125.02) - at South Fulton, McKenzie by 42                     
 9.  DYER COUNTY (1-1) (73) (124.68) -  at Memphis Central, Dyer Co. by 10            
 10. RIVERSIDE (2-0) (75) (124.43) - at Hickman Co., Riverside by 32                             
 11. SOUTH GIBSON (2-0) (83) (123.64) - at Milan, Milan by 12              
 12. WESTVIEW (1-1) (88) (123.10) - Gibson Co., Westview by 34     

Outside Looking in:
LEXINGTON (0-2) (100) 118.84)                                
DYERSBURG (2-0) (107) (117.80)                 
HUNTINGDON  (1-1) (108) (117.78)    

Sidenotes:

Strange that the computers rate Dyer Co. ahead of Dyersburg.  Especially after D'burg defeated DC 53-7 last week.
Like the Massey Ratings, the power ratings are objectibe.  But in a subjective poll, Dyersburg deserves a spot in the top 12.
Once again the ratings system and predictions yield some pretty insane point spreads.                          

Sonny Moore has inverted two teams and that has impacted 18 other teams in West Tennessee.

Dyersburg and Dyer County ratings were inverted at the start of the season.

That mistake has negatively impacted every team Dyersburg plays by giving them a lower strength of schedule rating.  While the mistake has positively impacted all of the teams Dyer County has played by giving them a inflated strength of schedule.

The ratings are fun, but one simple mistake has impacted a lot of teams with inaccurate ratings.

This also explains why Massey and Cal Preps have a much different rating this year vs Sonny Moore.

Edited by mg

5 minutes ago, mg said:

Sonny Moore has inverted two teams and that has impacted 18 other teams in West Tennessee.

Dyersburg and Dyer County ratings were inverted at the start of the season.

That mistake has negatively impacted every team Dyersburg plays by giving them a lower strength of schedule rating.  While the mistake has positively impacted all of the teams Dyer County has played by giving them a inflated strength of schedule.

The ratings are fun, but one simple mistake has impacted a lot of teams with inaccurate ratings.

This also explains why Massey and Cal Preps have a much different rating this year vs Sonny Moore.

That's good info to know.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

JMO...Year in and year out Brownsville, is a undisciplined team and when it's all said and done usually overrated.  That's why I think Savannah, should be ranked over Brownsville. I also believe that if played this Friday  Savannah would decapitate Brownsville. The key word in this post [usually}

33 minutes ago, jj420 said:

JMO...Year in and year out Brownsville, is a undisciplined team and when it's all said and done usually overrated.  That's why I think Savannah, should be ranked over Brownsville. I also believe that if played this Friday  Savannah would decapitate Brownsville. The key word in this post [usually}

There has been a new thread started for this topic. But I’ll say I’m a Hardin County fan, but totally disagree with you here. Haywood has been to the finals quite often the past few years representing the west. So wouldn’t say they were overrated. Hardin has been unable to reach the semifinals to play Haywood, so how could u rank them higher? Would love to see the Tigers get the opportunity. Not a logical statement IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

There has been a new thread started for this topic. But I’ll say I’m a Hardin County fan, but totally disagree with you here. Haywood has been to the finals quite often the past few years representing the west. So wouldn’t say they were overrated. Hardin has been unable to reach the semifinals to play Haywood, so how could u rank them higher? Would love to see the Tigers get the opportunity. Not a logical statement IMO. 

I agree with everything you are saying.