Week 4 - Oak Ridge @ Farragut

CardinalGrey

1 minute ago, SweetScience said:

Not saying I disagree, but until we have a competent offensive line, it wouldn’t matter if we had 10 D1 athletes out there. We haven’t had but maybe 1 good OL since G got here in 2013. At this point, it has just become absurd. #75 lived in our backfield all night long. It pains me to think about what will happen when we go up against that D1 DT from Powell. Our offensive line is as soft as cream puffs and have been for years.

Kids can be coached if the coach knows how to coach. This is HS football. Ain’t like we don’t have size. Heart. Or desire to win. We just have the weakest offensive coaching staff I’ve ever seen. Been that way for years. 

The kids played hard and never quit, I give them credit for that, but man it's gonna be a long year.  DB, Greenville and Plow, oh man.  Wins over LC, Karns and CC would put us at 4-6.  We are missing some guys, but so is every other football team.  You can't just hope guys aren't going to get hurt, you have to prepare for it and have guys ready.  Gotta coach 'em all.  Let's hope we get to play next week.  LC is having Covid issues. 

Proud of the boyz for fighting even after awful start.We had played bad and was only down 14 to 10 and fumble a punt and give them a TD right before half.Then get all the way down to 1 yd line and cant punch it in before the half ran out.14 pt swing killed us.I fear their is not much hope for fixing the Oline this yr.We are out of bodies and dont have many options left besides guys all the sudden getting better.This kind of thing has to be worked out in off season and not wait until it is this bad.Maybe one off season we will decide to fix it and break the long streak of awful Olines.I give Hewitt all the credit in world for all he does both ways upfront.I knew our defense would struggle vs passing team and will all yr because QB has all day to throw and like Oline we have no bodies left to throw at problem to try and fix Dline.I just hate it for all the good players who work so hard and are handcuffed because of the same problem yr after yr.It sucks but just so we dont give up Ill be there hoping for  the best

On 9/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, oridgecat said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.  He must be talking about the IFL Bearden team. 

Knox, how did FHS score 41 on West?

Gentlemen, I stand corrected! Listened to your game and watched Bearden/SD. I still feel Bearden has the better defense (held SD to 3 pts. until late in the 3rd) but their offensive play calling is terrible. Farragut offense much more potent!

This game really could have gone either way. If Oak Ridge scores right before half, then gets the ball back with all that momentum to start the second half, we all might have seen an entirely different game.

Neither team ran the ball very effectively and Farragut QB Moore spent much of the night scooping low snaps off the turf, which has continued to plague the Admiral offense.

Oak Ridge and Farragut are similar in many respects, but the one element that really stands out to me is lack of depth each team has in places, particularly at the line of scrimmage. For Oak Ridge, I saw 77, 59 and 70 on both sides of the ball all night. For Farragut, 75 seldom sees the sideline. Man, that is a lot to ask of those kids… to be gap sound, win your one-on-one battle, etc. when you are constantly gassed. I can’t speak for the Wildcats, but I’m sure the situation is likely similar; Farragut would benefit greatly moving forward from the return of some injured kids. 

Edited by Former44

14 hours ago, GeorgeORMD said:

And y’all were complaining about the last OC. Look folks. Until the HC hangs it up. The O ain’t going to move. Never has. Never will. Not even with Tee. Not with a State Champ Team and now not with 3-4 D1 offered Offensive players. It’s a joke. 
 I’m thinking we can all agree that Coach Minor should be the HC. Nuff said. 

OR Overperformed last year and made it to the title game, now you're calling for a New Head coach in week 4.  Classic.

6 hours ago, Former44 said:

This game really could have gone either way. If Oak Ridge scores right before half, then gets the ball back with all that momentum to start the second half, we all might have seen an entirely different game.

Neither team ran the ball very effectively and Farragut QB Moore spent much of the night scooping low snaps off the turf, which has continued to plague the Admiral offense.

Oak Ridge and Farragut are similar in many respects, but the one element that really stands out to me is lack of depth each team has in places, particularly at the line of scrimmage. For Oak Ridge, I saw 77, 59 and 70 on both sides of the ball all night. For Farragut, 75 seldom sees the sideline. Man, that is a lot to ask of those kids… to be gap sound, win your one-on-one battle, etc. when you are constantly gassed. I can’t speak for the Wildcats, but I’m sure the situation is likely similar; Farragut would benefit greatly moving forward from the return of some injured kids. 

You nailed it and upfront was gonna be the biggest weakness for Oak Ridge and then lost a bunch of players on top of that.Coach Gaddis said we have lost a total of 8 now and I think all of them are done for yr.So not much hope for rest of yr besides cool weather might help with big guys getting tired.We have played 4 man front all yr and had to move to 3 man because lack of players.I had to sit on Ads side of field because no seats left on Oak Ridge so at least the fans are still behind the boyz.Crowd was good on both sides for and 1-2 vs 0-3 matchup

On 9/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, STILLNUM1 said:

You nailed it and upfront was gonna be the biggest weakness for Oak Ridge and then lost a bunch of players on top of that.Coach Gaddis said we have lost a total of 8 now and I think all of them are done for yr.So not much hope for rest of yr besides cool weather might help with big guys getting tired.We have played 4 man front all yr and had to move to 3 man because lack of players.I had to sit on Ads side of field because no seats left on Oak Ridge so at least the fans are still behind the boyz.Crowd was good on both sides for and 1-2 vs 0-3 matchup

I would like to know who these 8 injured "starters" are.  That number is more like 4 players that played some both ways.  But I would still like to see those names.  I know of 2 guys, but 8 is some funny math. 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, oridgecat said:

Homecoming games are usually the next to last home game on the schedule because this allows more time for fundraising. And because the last home game is reserved for Senior Night.   So in this case it would make more sense to have it 10/15 vs Bradley Central.  So, maybe just a little disrespect intended.  No.  I'm just kidding!

Im sure it was scheduled out of precaution to make sure it was done and not cancelled by Covid.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:50 PM, Knoxemdown said:

OR Overperformed last year and made it to the title game, now you're calling for a New Head coach in week 4.  Classic.

Knox, I'm gonna have to disagree here.  I wouldn't say we overperformed.  In fact we started the year 2-3, and that should not have happened last year either, so we underperformed out the gate.  Then, we were very fortunate to even be in the state championship for a few different reasons  (Powell blew the game at OR with a missed xp with 21 seconds,  that changed the seedings, and West was on the wrong end of two questionable at best pi's on the OR game winning drive in the qtrs). Then in the ship, we played arguably one of  our worst games of the year on the biggest stage.  The team did stay with it, improve during the year, and fight til the end.  But "overperform" I didn't see it that way.  And Coach Gaddis repeats every year that playing for a state championship at Oak Ridge is the expectation, and it should be, unless that is no longer the case.  

I haven't seen or heard anybody call for a new head coach, maybe I missed that.  But the frustration comes from years of underachieving based on the talent level of the roster. Area coaches will tell you that Oak Ridge has the best looking athletes they see each year (not that that puts points on the scoreboard).  I'm not speaking for the fans, this is just my personal opinion which ain't worth much.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, oridgecat said:

I would like to know who these 8 injured "starters" are.  That number is more like 4 players that played some both ways.  But I would still like to see those names.  I know of 2 guys, but 8 is some funny math. 

You make a good point.Im just going by what Coach Gaddis says.He says we lost 5 before the 1st game even started and I guess 3 more since then.I wasnt close enough to program in summer to know the depth chart or who we lost before the season.