The UC Tornadoes Storm Into TCA Lions Den

BigSwoShow

It was a very exciting game at TCA tonight as they entertained Union City. Four lead changes in the contest and both teams move the football up and down the field pretty much at will. It was a fun game to watch and it was well played by both teams. Union City converts three 4th down plays. Very proud of how TCA stood up and went toe to toe with a quality opponent like Union city.

I have nothing but good things to say about how the game was played by both teams. The players for both squads left it all on the field.

With all that being said, tonight's ball game was one of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed at the high school level. TCA has a 71 yard touchdown called back because of what was explained to them to be an inadvertent whistle at the 20 yard line. Did TCA get the ball at the 20 yard line first and 10? No the officials put the ball back at the original last scrimmage on the 30 at the other end of the field. Simply put, a touchdown was taken away by the striped shirts. TCA had another long run in which the ball carrier was tackled at the three yard line. The play was called back for what was said to be blocking below the waist. Video replays do not show what the officials called. On Union city's winning drive, one Union City player delivered what could be best described as a knee lift  or kick to a TCA player who was on the ground. The replay CLEARLY AND WITHOUT QUESTION showed what happened. To be honest, the player should have been ejected from the game. At the least, a 15 yard on sportsmanlike penalty should have been called. The officials called nothing. The replay was very clear. The incident occurred on the play before Union City scored their final touchdown.

Simply put, the officiating crew for the Union City and TCA game was extremely subpar to the game that was played by both teams. Without a doubt the officiating association and hopefully the TSSAA will have to review what happened in this contest. Bad officiating marred what was an excellent football game and that officiating was THE difference in the game.

I have nothing but respect for the football team at Union City. And everybody knows how I feel about TCA. I have tried my best to understand the hard job that officials have to do. I get it. I respect all of the good officials that are out there. But like I said earlier the officiating crew at tonight's game has got some explaining to do.

With all that being said, let's all be reminded about what happened 20 years ago on Saturday. Spend time in prayer and remember all the people who died and all of the brave first responders who died trying to save them.

Edited by ReitzFan

8 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

It was a very exciting game at TCA tonight as they entertained Union City. Four lead changes in the contest and both teams move the football up and down the field pretty much at will. It was a fun game to watch and it was well played by both teams. Union City converts three 4th down plays. Very proud of how TCA stood up and went toe to toe with a quality opponent like Union city.

I have nothing but good things to say about how the game was played by both teams. The players for both squads left it all on the field.

With all that being said, tonight's ball game was one of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed at the high school level. TCA has a 71 yard touchdown called back because of what was explained to them to be an inadvertent whistle at the 20 yard line. Did TCA get the ball at the 20 yard line first and 10? No the officials put the ball back at the original last scrimmage on the 30 at the other end of the field. Simply put, a touchdown was taken away by the striped shirts. TCA had another long run in which the ball carrier was tackled at the three yard line. The play was called back for what was said to be blocking below the waist. Video replays do not show what the officials called. On Union city's winning drive, one Union City player delivered what could be best described as a knee lift  or kick to a TCA player who was on the ground. The replay CLEARLY AND WITHOUT QUESTION showed what happened. To be honest, the player should have been ejected from the game. At the least, a 15 yard on sportsmanlike penalty should have been called. The officials called nothing. The replay was very clear. The incident occurred on the play before Union City scored their final touchdown.

Simply put, the officiating crew for the Union City and TCA game was extremely subpar to the game that was played by both teams. Without a doubt the officiating association and hopefully the TSSAA will have to review what happened in this contest. Bad officiating marred what was an excellent football game and that officiating was THE difference in the game.

I have nothing but respect for the football team at Union City. And everybody knows how I feel about TCA. I have tried my best to understand the hard job that officials have to do. I get it. I respect all of the good officials that are out there. But like I said earlier the officiating crew at tonight's game has got some explaining to do.

With all that being said, let's all be reminded about what happened 20 years ago on Saturday. Spend time in prayer and remember all the people who died and all of the brave first responders who died trying to save them.

I see you are only pointing out the bad calls against TCA. There were several that should have been called in favor of my tornadoes. The first drive for Uc saw a TCA player completely rip off the helmet of a tornado lineman and it looked as though he was about to hit him with it but he slammed it on the ground instead. Also the chain crew for TCA had to be warned by the refs too. So yes it was bad on both sides.  Regardless you are correct. Hard fought game on both sides. It is always a dog fight at TCA. I think this evens up the series. 3-3.  Wish y’all luck the rest of the way 

My thoughts on this game is along the same lines as Reitzfan and UC77 that it was a good hard fought game by both teams but the officiating was terrible. We were without our starting QB but our backup did an outstanding job of managing the game and playing within his abilities. I’m happy to come away with the win and look forward to the rest of the season. Good luck to TCA. GO TORNADOES 

14 hours ago, shockernation said:

Great win! 3 weeks 

Shocker, I have a question for you. Why do you even care? It seems to me that y’all have enough problems there in LC to be concerned with. Just saying. If my team was falling apart from top to bottom I would just keep my mouth shut. I have done that in the past. Just thinking you have more of a reason to “hoe your own row” than I have ever had. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UCStrong77 said:

I see you are only pointing out the bad calls against TCA. There were several that should have been called in favor of my tornadoes. The first drive for Uc saw a TCA player completely rip off the helmet of a tornado lineman and it looked as though he was about to hit him with it but he slammed it on the ground instead. Also the chain crew for TCA had to be warned by the refs too. So yes it was bad on both sides.  Regardless you are correct. Hard fought game on both sides. It is always a dog fight at TCA. I think this evens up the series. 3-3.  Wish y’all luck the rest of the way 

We have a saying at UC. No Excuses.  

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to a replay of the ball game. Questionable calls throughout the game, but the third quarter (a five minute period) was simply bizarre. Please refer to the 02:00:10 mark of the video to the blatant uncalled unsportsmanlike play. Refer to the 02:04:00 Mark for when the TCA touchdown was called back when no flag was thrown. Officials signaled the touchdown, set the ball up for an extra point and then wiped the score off by telling the TCA sideline that there was an inadvertent whistle on the 20-yard line. In the background, you can even hear one of the UC radio crews who was in front of our press box space and their amazement over what transpired. There were obviously other instances that occurred during the game but the two that I have time marked are the most questionable calls in my opinion and calls that the officials must answer for. You can refer to the very end of the video for the candid comments explaining what the officials told the TCA sideline about the touchdown reversal call.

https://www.facebook.com/TrinityChristianLions/videos/1934041043454872/

I totally respect Union City as a football program and as a valued opponent. When players do wrong, a good school and coach holds them accountable. Officials who do wrong need to be held accountable as well. I congratulate both teams on a hard-fought game. It is too bad that there is a dark cloud hanging over the final outcome though because this was a very entertaining High School football game.

Edited by ReitzFan

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Here is a link to a replay of the ball game. Questionable calls throughout the game, but the third quarter (a five minute period) was simply bizarre. Please refer to the 02:00:10 mark of the video to the blatant uncalled unsportsmanlike play. Refer to the 02:04:00 Mark for when the TCA touchdown was called back when no flag was thrown. Officials signaled the touchdown, set the ball up for an extra point and then wiped the score off by telling the TCA sideline that there was an inadvertent whistle on the 20-yard line. In the background, you can even hear one of the UC radio crews who was in front of our press box space and their amazement over what transpired. There were obviously other instances that occurred during the game but the two that I have time marked are the most questionable calls in my opinion and calls that the officials must answer for. You can refer to the very end of the video for the candid comments explaining what the officials told the TCA sideline about the touchdown reversal call.

https://www.facebook.com/TrinityChristianLions/videos/1934041043454872/

I totally respect Union City as a football program and as a valued opponent. When players do wrong, a good school and coach holds them accountable. Officials who do wrong need to be held accountable as well. I congratulate both teams on a hard-fought game. It is too bad that there is a dark cloud hanging over the final outcome though because this was a very entertaining High School football game.

I would also encourage you to watch the replay of this game - not to whine about how the officials did / didn’t call this or that. The Union City center (#77) put on a blocking clinic. In the first half, he put his opponent on his back on almost every play. In the second half, his opponents just shot at his (surgically repaired) knees on just about every play to avoid the pancake. I guess “unsportsmanlike” is in the eye of the beholder. 

1 hour ago, LinemanRC said:

I would also encourage you to watch the replay of this game - not to whine about how the officials did / didn’t call this or that. The Union City center (#77) put on a blocking clinic. In the first half, he put his opponent on his back on almost every play. In the second half, his opponents just shot at his (surgically repaired) knees on just about every play to avoid the pancake. I guess “unsportsmanlike” is in the eye of the beholder. 

We could play point and counterpoint all weekend long. It's not going to serve any good purpose for me to continue this conversation with you any further. 

It was a great ball game between two teams that went after it tooth and nail all night long. I have the utmost respect for Union City football. I believe the balance of UC folks feel the same about TCA in return. There were certainly questionable calls on both sides of the field. It's sad that a couple of those calls ultimately decided the outcome of the game. Good luck to the purple twisty boys in the rest of your season.

We both have a opponents to play next week. Time to move on.

5 hours ago, BigSwoShow said:

Shocker, I have a question for you. Why do you even care? It seems to me that y’all have enough problems there in LC to be concerned with. Just saying. If my team was falling apart from top to bottom I would just keep my mouth shut. I have done that in the past. Just thinking you have more of a reason to “hoe your own row” than I have ever had. 

We quit playing football and it’s pure boredom! I’m in UC right now enjoying the atmosphere…I even rode by the high school on my way to the Graham Park today. Maybe I’ll ride back by the high school tomorrow morning and soak it up? Nothing but love Swo 

38 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

We could play point and counterpoint all weekend long. It's not going to serve any good purpose for me to continue this conversation with you any further. 

It was a great ball game between two teams that went after it tooth and nail all night long. I have the utmost respect for Union City football. I believe the balance of UC folks feel the same about TCA in return. There were certainly questionable calls on both sides of the field. It's sad that a couple of those calls ultimately decided the outcome of the game. Good luck to the purple twisty boys in the rest of your season.

We both have a opponents to play next week. Time to move on.

Agreed. Moving on. From the players I talked to, there really wasn’t any hard feelings on the field. Just part of the game. For the what it’s worth, your snide “twisty boys” comment…. not a good look for an adult. You be you though. 

34 minutes ago, shockernation said:

We quit playing football and it’s pure boredom! I’m in UC right now enjoying the atmosphere…I even rode by the high school on my way to the Graham Park today. Maybe I’ll ride back by the high school tomorrow morning and soak it up? Nothing but love Swo 

Well I suppose you need something to do. That’s okay. I guess we will just have to be your “ love to hate “ team. I have one team in the NFL that fits this bill. I love it when the Cowboys lose. So, I understand your pain. I just hope we can keep you hating us more and more for the rest of the season. Go Tornadoes