H2O @ Whites Creek

H2Oman

I was able to make it out to Watertown last Friday for the Dekalb game.  I was surprised by the overall play from this  WHS team.  Reading and hearing all the past negatives, I felt like they played hard and beat a pretty good football team.  Neither team looks like they will hang a GOLD BALL up in the school this year, but I was impressed with Watertown.  As for WC, I know absolutley nothing about their program.  Am I Making Sense here?  Thoughts?

Edited by MakingSense2u

47 minutes ago, MakingSense2u said:

I was able to make it out to Watertown last Friday for the Dekalb game.  I was surprised by the overall play from this  WHS team.  Reading and hearing all the past negatives, I felt like they played hard and beat a pretty good football team.  Neither team looks like they will hang a GOLD BALL up in the school this year, but I was impressed with Watertown.  As for WC, I know absolutley nothing about their program.  Am I Making Sense here?  Thoughts?

H2O by far played their best game against Dekalb… by far!

And to be honest, I didn’t think they played to bad against City in week one. We just couldn’t finish drives on offense and gave up a few big plays on defense and special teams!

Now with that being said… It had been a long time since H2O had been beaten by 20 plus, so mentally that may have had an effect on weeks 2 and 3?? 

I also believe a couple of the posters who are probably tied into the program more than me were right. We have some young talent that needed reps ( who have gotten them now) and a little offense adjustment, which seemed to happen against DC.

The team you seen Friday is definitely not the same team that played weeks 2 and 3.

The team that played DC was fun to watch vs the one who played Westy and Gordonsville… not so much!

Edited by H2Oman

1 hour ago, H2Oman said:

H2O by far played their best game against Dekalb… by far!

And to be honest, I didn’t think they played to bad against City in week one. We just couldn’t finish drives on offense and gave up a few big plays on defense and special teams!

Now with that being said… It had been a long time since H2O had been beaten by 20 plus, so mentally that may have had an effect on weeks 2 and 3?? 

I also believe a couple of the posters who are probably tied into the program more than me were right. We have some young talent that needed reps ( who have gotten them now) and a little offense adjustment, which seemed to happen against DC.

The team you seen Friday is definitely not the same team that played weeks 2 and 3.

The team that played DC was fun to watch vs the one who played Westy and Gordonsville… not so much!

I was very impressed with this team.  Winning will help curve about anyone's opinion.  Im not seeing all the "critics" out in full force trying to give their two cents about how they would have done things differently, how bad the Offense was called or anything like the first few games.  I observed coaches coaching and players playing hard.  I like that recipe.  But what do I know, just trying to makesense.      

2 minutes ago, MakingSense2u said:

I was very impressed with this team.  Winning will help curve about anyone's opinion.  Im not seeing all the "critics" out in full force trying to give their two cents about how they would have done things differently, how bad the Offense was called or anything like the first few games.  I observed coaches coaching and players playing hard.  I like that recipe.  But what do I know, just trying to makesense.      

Winning solves all. Always has and always will.

13 hours ago, workinprogress said:

RTD yes the stadium st WC is old, as is the case at several metro schools. Gradually, metro has been updating the stadiums much like anywhere else. It was not long ago that H20 played at an old stadium. Be thankful for what you have. No need to knock others. 

As for the game, WC will have athleticism and speed. H20 defense I am sure will be up to the task just put them away early. Offensively H20 just has to hang onto the ball. H20 should dominate special teams. 

Hello, can you shed some light on changes at Whites Creek over the last 20-30 years. I’ve been around a while and remember what a great athletic program they had in the 80s and some of the 90s. Multiple track state championships in AAA in the 80s with really the premier program in the state.  I remember going to a football playoff game there in the late 80s to see them play Gallatin. Packed house and great TSU like marching band. Remember seeing David Vaughn play against Corey beck and Dwight Stewart of Memphis fairley in state hoops tourney in 1990. Great game. Also enrollment used to be big at least 3-4 times what it is now. I couldn’t believe it when I saw WC classified as 2A meaning they only have 400-500 students now. Seems like it’s a shell of what it used to be. I feel like maybe several other metro schools have suffered the same fate. Sad IMO.  Are the kids going to private schools or moving to the burbs?  Obviously the population of Davidson county continues to increase so surprised enrollment has shrunk so much. Appreciate any thoughts you have on this. I’m not sure a lot these 2A fans realize what a power and great program Whites Creek once was.  

1 hour ago, DealLawyer said:

Hello, can you shed some light on changes at Whites Creek over the last 20-30 years. I’ve been around a while and remember what a great athletic program they had in the 80s and some of the 90s. Multiple track state championships in AAA in the 80s with really the premier program in the state.  I remember going to a football playoff game there in the late 80s to see them play Gallatin. Packed house and great TSU like marching band. Remember seeing David Vaughn play against Corey beck and Dwight Stewart of Memphis fairley in state hoops tourney in 1990. Great game. Also enrollment used to be big at least 3-4 times what it is now. I couldn’t believe it when I saw WC classified as 2A meaning they only have 400-500 students now. Seems like it’s a shell of what it used to be. I feel like maybe several other metro schools have suffered the same fate. Sad IMO.  Are the kids going to private schools or moving to the burbs?  Obviously the population of Davidson county continues to increase so surprised enrollment has shrunk so much. Appreciate any thoughts you have on this. I’m not sure a lot these 2A fans realize what a power and great program Whites Creek once was.  

Their enrollment is down to 497. Used to be around 1500. Private schools, charter schools and other metro recruiters have taken all the talent out of the area. Republic Charter school close by has 500 students.

The facilities have not been taken care of, but that is true at most Metro stadiums.

I do think that Coach Darnell has them trending in the right direction, but it will take time and commitment from more than just him.

From what I’ve heard from folks who should know, WC should go down as a win for H2O. But that being said, we’ll see which H2O shows up. The second half DeKalb team or the Gordy/Westy team. Like TC said, WC has Some athletes, but from what I’ve heard they’re not much of a “team”, more of a group of individuals. 

We’ll see. Region game, so it counts more than last week. 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:18 PM, workinprogress said:

RTD yes the stadium st WC is old, as is the case at several metro schools. Gradually, metro has been updating the stadiums much like anywhere else. It was not long ago that H20 played at an old stadium. Be thankful for what you have. No need to knock others. 

As for the game, WC will have athleticism and speed. H20 defense I am sure will be up to the task just put them away early. Offensively H20 just has to hang onto the ball. H20 should dominate special teams. 

That's the worse thing you could do is call me an H2O fam lol Metro is behind on their updates should have been updated about 20-30 years ago. 

20 hours ago, DealLawyer said:

I'll say this.... we traveled to WC about 2 years ago and I have never seen anything like it.... maybe 20 people in the stands, facilities were run down, poor coaching, ton of athletes but zero discipline, no respect for the coach from parents or players, parents would just walk on the sideline and talk to their kid, one kid got mad took his helmet off and threw it. Almost like the coach had accepted the state of the program and didn't care if it got any better...... It is going to take someone who truly cares about the program and has a good support system behind them to turn it around.