WEEK 7 - Oak Ridge vs Powell

CardinalGrey

1 hour ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Great point and I agree 100%.The S&C is a joke if we even have one.

We also had Gibbons bail us out a lot last year, which made up a little bit for the below average offensive line we had last year. He was fast enough to avoid a lot of sacks, and he was also an actual threat to run the ball too, and could take it to the house if he got loose like he did against South Doyle in the playoffs. Not taking away from #8 (he doesn’t have a lot of help), but he’s zero threat when it comes to running the ball, and that’s just one less guy opposing defenses have to worry about. Like I said, multiple things.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Powell leads 31-7 as we start the 4th qtr. OR takes over after a Powell punt near midfield.

A piece of friendly advice for the OR prep radio crew. I get that this is a homer show and a homer crew. And maybe I'm being a little too critical. But at least try, please try, to keep it somewhat professional. Try to take those cardinal colored glasses off at least once in awhile.

You've got a color guy who literally sounds like he's about to pass a kidney stone after every dang snap.

osunut2,

You have done a great job keeping people informed on last night's game. Supior commentating.

I do disagree about your take on the color guy Eli Manning, If I have the right guy he was a good linemen for Oak Ridge back in his day. His enthusiasm is welcomed since the play on the field is lacking. I don't know if Eli is a permanent Color Guy but for this Oak Ridge fan he was a breath of fresh air.

I do agree with you he was certainly a homer but the more he does the job he may ease up.

By the way, great win for Powell!

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I’m not sure, OSU. The one guy (main one tonight) always calls games with DC, but I don’t know who the other guy with him was. That’s the first I’ve heard him this year.

SS, the color guy was Eli Manning. Not your typical Clary color guy but given more opportunities he may be special. Everybody has to start somewhere and improve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I think a lot of us are at a loss for words. I think it’s a mixture of a lot of different things. For one, it’s obvious a lot of our kids on the line are WEAK, which means the strength and conditioning program at Oak Ridge is paltry, at best. That doesn’t mean all of our kids, but the ones in the trenches (most of them, at least) look extremely soft. Let’s be honest, games are won and lost in the weight room before the season even starts. With that said, the S & C program seems to need a complete overhaul.

The guy looks completely lost out there. We are having penalties that you’d expect a middle school team to be getting this time of year, or a team like Jellico. 

First, any chance we could hire away ( $$$ ) the strength coach from Maryville or Alcoa?

Two, what the heck do you have against Jello? I LOVE jello! Orange, cherry, green, lime, slime, lemon, strawberry, snot, blackberry and many more.

Oh poop! You said Jellico.  Yeah, they do stink about pre-snap penality.   HA!

4 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

osunut2,

You have done a great job keeping people informed on last night's game. Supior commentating.

I do disagree about your take on the color guy Eli Manning, If I have the right guy he was a good linemen for Oak Ridge back in his day. His enthusiasm is welcomed since the play on the field is lacking. I don't know if Eli is a permanent Color Guy but for this Oak Ridge fan he was a breath of fresh air.

I do agree with you he was certainly a homer but the more he does the job he may ease up.

By the way, great win for Powell!

SS informed me that he was new to the broadcast, so I will ease up. I don't know Eli from Adam, and I'm sure OR fans respect him as an alum. I wasn't trying to bash him personally, Willie. There's just a level of professionalism that the radio should demand, even on a homer station.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

SS informed me that he was new to the broadcast, so I will ease up. I don't know Eli from Adam, and I'm sure OR fans respect him as an alum. I wasn't trying to bash him personally, Willie. There's just a level of professionalism that the radio should demand, even on a homer station.

I am in Virginia getting ready to watch my 7 year old grandson play flag football. I tried to listen,  but I just couldn't handle it. My buddy David Clary does a great job when he is there.  Those guys need to go back and listen to David work. 

osunut2 was this guy in the first half only? I know the regular color guy,  he didn't come on the air til the second half. He has been working with David for a number of years and is pretty straight up. When I watch the replay I'll know, for what it's worth Mike Sheehan is the regular guy and he is pretty fair. doesn't hurt he's my brother-in-law. haha Mike might question a call but from what I saw last night some could be questioned. Most of those shouldn't have happened. No excuses though Powell just put a "Ron Wright Tennessee Dog Whoopin" on us.  

1 hour ago, bounder said:

osunut2 was this guy in the first half only? I know the regular color guy,  he didn't come on the air til the second half. He has been working with David for a number of years and is pretty straight up. When I watch the replay I'll know, for what it's worth Mike Sheehan is the regular guy and he is pretty fair. doesn't hurt he's my brother-in-law. haha Mike might question a call but from what I saw last night some could be questioned. Most of those shouldn't have happened. No excuses though Powell just put a "Ron Wright Tennessee Dog Whoopin" on us.  

Yes. Mike and David do a great job together and are fair to opposing teams.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bounder said:

Bounder, last night, Rons's brother Don tagged in and got in on the Dog Whoopin himself.

Edited by WilleTheWildcat