WEEK 7 - Oak Ridge vs Powell

CardinalGrey

I don't know what to expect from Oak Ridge and that worries me and should worry Powell. Does Oak Ridge spend the two weeks trying to perfect the offense they have been running or do they come up with something new that Powell won't be prepared for?

Didn't we put in a new offense last season against West? 5 wide or something like that?

I have no idea what will happen but I will pick Oak Ridge to win.

I know the OR coaches have come under some fire this season but I bet they out coach Powell's coaches.

50 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

Powell by a lot as long as they don’t self destruct with lots of needless penalties but even probably then, Powell gets the win. I just don’t think OR has the defense to stop Powell. 

You are right that if Powell doesn't self destruct they have a good chance to win. I think more of the OR defense than you do, though. Hopefully, OR defense will have Rodgers, Jai and # 13 rested, healthy and ready to  go. Jackson should be better with 2 weeks of practice at LB.

For OR to win, two top notch LBs must pressure Powells QB all over the place, Rodger, Jai and 13 must play great coverage.

This is going to be a great game. Powell will be the favorite. OR has two weeks to prepare. I'll select the Wildcats to win.

2 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

You are right that if Powell doesn't self destruct they have a good chance to win. I think more of the OR defense than you do, though. Hopefully, OR defense will have Rodgers, Jai and # 13 rested, healthy and ready to  go. Jackson should be better with 2 weeks of practice at LB.

For OR to win, two top notch LBs must pressure Powells QB all over the place, Rodger, Jai and 13 must play great coverage.

This is going to be a great game. Powell will be the favorite. OR has two weeks to prepare. I'll select the Wildcats to win.

I agree that if Oak Ridge’s defense can get enough pressure on Potts to cause him to start making some of those “trying to force it” type throws, and can disrupt things there, that’s gonna be their best shot. Going further with that thought, I think OR really has to capitalize on any mistakes that Powell makes. I feel like Powell will win this one pretty easily but I would actually like to see OR win. 

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

I agree that if Oak Ridge’s defense can get enough pressure on Potts to cause him to start making some of those “trying to force it” type throws, and can disrupt things there, that’s gonna be their best shot. Going further with that thought, I think OR really has to capitalize on any mistakes that Powell makes. I feel like Powell will win this one pretty easily but I would actually like to see OR win. 

All good points.

Do you think Powell's All American brothers will be factors? I saw an early Powell game and they didn't dominate. I do not think OR will so lucky.

12 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

All good points.

Do you think Powell's All American brothers will be factors? I saw an early Powell game and they didn't dominate. I do not think OR will so lucky.

Walter has actually played very well this year.  He's a legit 5 start prospect.  Just not in the best of shape at this point, but he'll get there once he gets in to a P5 level S&C program.  

He's been double and triple teamed pretty much all year and most opposing OCs have run away from him.  Yet he's still been able to make a lot of plays based on sheer ability.  

The younger brother has a ton of upside, and for a freshman has been very good to dominate at times this year.  He'll be a big time prospect by the time he gets to his junior year, as well.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HTV said:

Walter has actually played very well this year.  He's a legit 5 start prospect.  Just not in the best of shape at this point, but he'll get there once he gets in to a P5 level S&C program.  

He's been double and triple teamed pretty much all year and most opposing OCs have run away from him.  Yet he's still been able to make a lot of plays based on sheer ability.  

The younger brother has a ton of upside, and for a freshman has been very good to dominate at times this year.  He'll be a big time prospect by the time he gets to his junior year, as well.  

I figure a few of us on here may as well just go to Wal-Mart, buy him a tent, sleeping bag, some kerosene, and chop up a few logs for him, because he’s gonna be camping out in our backfield all night from around 7/730 to 10 or so a few Friday nights from now, I’m afraid.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

All good points.

Fitness continues to be his biggest problem, but Walter is the real deal. He has continued to get better every game that I've seen him play. He was in the backfield a ton against Clinton, and in the past two games, we're seeing more Powell defenders take advantage of the fact that he's getting double and triple teamed every time the ball is snapped.

His brother Warren has been incredible at RT, and he's just 14 years old. I'm sure he will be playing P5 football if he continues to progress. Some incredible genetics in that family.

19 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

All good points.

I think Walter Nolan is definitely a factor, even if it comes in the form of someone else being left uncovered because he is double teamed. I feel like pretty much every opposing coach obviously knows to account for him and double team him or run away from him. I feel like his conditioning may be his weakest point so I’d guess If you can get beyond say…five yards of him, he may not be as likely to catch you, but I definitely think he deserves his accolades. 

On 9/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

Willie, I don't understand the obsession with Rogers, the kid hasn't played a down this year and even if he does make onto the field in a uniform, they are not going to just move him ahead of the players that have been practicing, playing, and starting since mid July.