Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

4 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Excellent post! I will always rank ‘93 Cleveland as the best I ever saw. But, they will never be recognized (nor do they deserve to be) because of the weak schedule they played. Same is true of mid 90’s Marion Co. led by Eric Westmorland. They dominated like few have. I’m pretty sure Jeff Co. won more total games than anybody in the 80’s. They would have surely won more than one state title if not for Rhea Co. That was a strange series. They met 8 or 10 straight years in the regular season, plus twice in the playoffs. The visiting team won every single game. 

Westmorland’s Senior year was a scheduling year, and nobody would schedule them. They ended up having to schedule several 4 and 5A powers, and they still went 15-0. The next year it caught up with them and they had a losing record, and then Coach Ken Colquitt left for Georgia. 

16 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Excellent post! I will always rank ‘93 Cleveland as the best I ever saw. But, they will never be recognized (nor do they deserve to be) because of the weak schedule they played. Same is true of mid 90’s Marion Co. led by Eric Westmorland. They dominated like few have. I’m pretty sure Jeff Co. won more total games than anybody in the 80’s. They would have surely won more than one state title if not for Rhea Co. That was a strange series. They met 8 or 10 straight years in the regular season, plus twice in the playoffs. The visiting team won every single game. 

Oakland beat Jeff Co. In '84.   Both had good teams. 

On 12/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, chs1984 said:

Others I can think of are Jefferson County 87, Oak Ridge 75, 79 and 80, Gallatin 78 are some of the real great teams I saw play.

Cleveland had some really good teams under Benny Monroe in the late 8os and early 90s. Benny and the Jets we used to call them, I can't remember the year that I scouted them vs Oakland in the playoffs at MTSU. Cleveland got out to good lead but Oakland recovered a couple of onside kicks and ended up winning, I think this was around 88. I talked to Benny Monroe later and he said he practiced against Oakland's onside kicking game all week and even kicked them himself in practice to try to get ready for that and it still worked. 

12 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Others I can think of are Jefferson County 87, Oak Ridge 75, 79 and 80, Gallatin 78 are some of the real great teams I saw play.

Cleveland had some really good teams under Benny Monroe in the late 8os and early 90s. Benny and the Jets we used to call them, I can't remember the year that I scouted them vs Oakland in the playoffs at MTSU. Cleveland got out to good lead but Oakland recovered a couple of onside kicks and ended up winning, I think this was around 88. I talked to Benny Monroe later and he said he practiced against Oakland's onside kicking game all week and even kicked them himself in practice to try to get ready for that and it still worked. 

1989. It's the only year Cleveland and Oakland have played